ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Callenges & Contests
Thread views: 135579 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
(Stranger)
01/04/08 02:13 PM
3D Character Contest Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello Fellow Artists!!

Do you spend most of your time creating virtual characters and worlds? Can you create realistic 3D humans? Then have we have got the contest for you!!

Humanity Online is looking for the World’s Best 3D Modelers. So submit your best 3D characters by Feb 15th and you could win cash prizes up to $3000 and a contract offer to create more 3D characters!

Go to:  http://Contest.HumanityOnline.com to Submit your characters and to check out the rest of our rules and regulations.

Dyald
(Stranger)
02/04/08 02:36 PM
Re: 3D Character Contest [re: avatarevolution]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The rules are kind of vague, I make a lot of characters that are custom morphs for Daz aiko, hiro, etc. is this permitted? Or do the models have to be made from scratch?

MatrixWorkz
(Enthusiast)
02/04/08 07:04 PM
Re: 3D Character Contest [re: Dyald]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The rules do seem vague but his post is pretty specific that they're looking for actual "3D Modelers" not morph makers or dial twisters. Though how they would be able to tell from just rendered Submissions is beyond me. There's no mention of submitting the actual models or textures used.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

dadchamp
(Member)
02/04/08 09:35 PM
Re: 3D Character Contest [re: Dyald]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

• Winners of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-place prizes further agree to deliver and grant full rights to Humanity Online LLC to own and use the full 3d character, including all source files and textures needed to create the character, hair, and clothing. The winning 3d characters, as well as source and texture files become the property of Humanity Online LLC and the artist conveys all rights to Humanity Online LLC;
  • They are definately looking for original content and not morphed models if they want full right to use the source files, character, hair, and clothing. Dial twisters need not apply.

--
    I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

MatrixWorkz
    (Enthusiast)
    02/05/08 01:11 AM
    Re: 3D Character Contest [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Ah The guidelines were definately not very clear then. I guess I should have tried clicking on that "Enter the Contest" link. I guess they figure if they're giving $3000 to the winner, they get to own your work.

(Stranger)
    02/06/08 09:57 AM
    Re: 3D Character Contest new [re: Dyald]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The character does NOT have to be made from scratch.  It’s okay to use a base character from Daz, etc. then customize it with morphs, textures, clothes, lighting, materials settings, etc. to create a unique character.

We are looking for artists who can combine all of these factors to create realistic, compelling, attractive characters that exude humanity and personality.

MatrixWorkz
    (Enthusiast)
    02/06/08 12:32 PM
    Re: 3D Character Contest [re: avatarevolution]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Excuse me? I'm sorry but your rules state that the character becomes your property once the winner is decided. You CAN NOT own any character made from a Base DAZ figure no matter how you wish to word it. You'd better check with a lawyer on the wording of your rules if you wish to allow DAZ characters into the contest, or any other premade geometry based characters for that matter. No winner will be able to send the geometry to you for figures that are not redistributable. Period! End of Story! If they do, both you and they will be guilty of copyright infringement!

Winners of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-place prizes further agree to deliver and grant full rights to Humanity Online LLC to own and use the full 3d character, including all source files and textures needed to create the character, hair, and clothing. The winning 3d characters, as well as source and texture files become the property of Humanity Online LLC and the artist conveys all rights to Humanity Online LLC;

I'm smelling a scam! 

Dyald
    (Stranger)
    02/06/08 02:41 PM
    Re: 3D Character Contest [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Maybe this will help,

Michael, Victoria, Hiro and Aiko are figures, Annette, Jaqueline, Manfred and Charles are my characters based off of those figures. I own the rights to those characters and Daz has given and encouraged the use of their figures for that purpose. I think the key terms are Figure and Character. They are looking for a Character and I can give the rights to my characters to anyone I want.

MatrixWorkz
    (Enthusiast)
    02/06/08 02:50 PM
    Re: 3D Character Contest new [re: Dyald]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The key term is "Source Files".  They need to change that part of the rules or you can't legitimately hand over the source files to DAZ, Poser or any other copy righted figure. Source files covers geometries so unless they get more specific about which source files they will be claiming ownership of at the end of the contest, you can't enter copyrighted figures.

(Stranger)
    02/06/08 05:37 PM
    Re: 3D Character Contest new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

This question about copyrights is often asked.  The way we deal with 3rd-party characters for Poser is that the artist sends us a PZ2 file that injects the morphs the artist has created.  Then we apply those morphs to the appropriate character.  (We have already purchased nearly *every* conceivable base character set that is available.)  Other 3D programs work in other ways. 

This is a technical detail that we will work out with each artist to ensure they transfer files in a way that respects and preserves the copyrights of all parties.

Our primary focus is on stimulating interest in 3D characters, and creating a venue for artists to show off their works, and form relations with our favorite artists, and providing prizes as incentives to participate.

Sarah

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
    View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
    Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
    670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
    +1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
    ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise