ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 12753 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

pauljcox
(Stranger)
05/18/10 06:12 AM
System upgrade advice? new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello everyone - I joined ShareCG a while ago, and this is my first post. I had forgotten how great this site is, and what a great community it has.

I have a question concerning a system upgrade that I'm about to undergo. I am running 3ds Max 2009 Design, rendering with MR primarily, and (stupidly) running a Dell Quad Core, 4gb RAM with Vista 32-bit (I was ill-advised when purchasing this, my first 'dedicated' 3d PC.) I am about to purchase a new system since I am running out of memory all the time, and I'm thinking Quad i7 is the way to go, and Windows 7 64-bit - my question is whether my 3ds Max 32-bit will run on a 64-bit OS until I upgrade Max. Or actually whether Max 2009 even runs on Windows 7? One other question would be whether Autodesk (or one of it's resellers) would ever consider letting me trade in my Max 2009 32-bit for a Max 2009 64-bit - I mean, they cost the same to buy brand new, and it's not like I'm upgrading to the latest version! I know this is a long shot - just with the money I'm spending on new hardware, I would like to avoid spending another couple of thousand on software!

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Paul

Spad007
(Stranger)
08/15/10 08:04 PM
Re: System upgrade advice? new [re: pauljcox]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Yesterday autodesk called me about upgrading and offered to have a local vendor get in touch.

you might go to their site and look up some one local from, the web page. and try a trade..:?

i7 kicks butt on systems tuned for it,, much faster than my Phenom II 

''whether my 3ds Max 32-bit will run on a 64-bit OS''

yes in the x86 folder. 

NerdBird
(Stranger)
08/16/10 08:13 AM
Re: System upgrade advice? [re: pauljcox]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I just built my dream machine (i7 6-core + Cintiq + lots of disk) and love it. I got almost everything from NewEgg and got a lot of advice from the people in the forums at tomshardware.com.

If you're not interested in building your own, then I would suggest Boxx (http://www.boxxtech.com). They build nice computers at a reasonable price, from single-user machines to full-on render farms. And no, I'm not affiliated with them at all.

-

D. Jay Newman

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise