ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 13880 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

3dgreg
(Newbie)
07/24/16 11:14 AM
Poly Count Problem new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

My models are just way too high in the poly count area. I know I'm adding too much detail for my own good. I'm working with Maya2015 and am using both the clean up and reduction tools but still can't bring my poly counts down to a reaoisti/usable figure. Is this just an issue of having to be more creative with low poly models as opposed to adding more detail? Higher poly models do seem to be realistic if they're intended for gaming purposes.

Josea
(Journeyman)
07/26/16 09:28 AM
Re: Poly Count Problem [re: 3dgreg]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The less the object shows the less polygons need.

A cylinder does not need more edges where it is straight. If it is a small part that will not be seen close up the minium number of sides is 5 (a pentagon on each end). You might want more the bigger the part will be.

If the game system the model will go into supports normal maps then that is where the small detail can go instead of adding geometery. Even bump maps will do.

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. I hope it helps.

Good luck.

adp__
(Member)
08/06/16 05:02 AM
Re: Poly Count Problem new [re: 3dgreg]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

A low poly model works perfect (even in games) if the polygonflow/topology is good and it has good bump-/displacement-/normal maps. Software may support you while constructing the mesh, but mostly you have to reconstruct the polygonflow „by hand“. Especially if you can't use displacement-maps without a high poly mesh (depends on the render-engine).

To get more info about polygon-topology and polygonflow, search Google with "polygon flow tutorial".

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise