ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 50788 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

pixel
(Stranger)
06/19/07 03:41 AM
deleted items new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

If I delete an item (for example, a 3D art or a model) Do I loose the viewcount associated with it ?

raytracer
(Stranger)
06/19/07 05:37 AM
Re: deleted items new [re: pixel]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I think you wont lose the view count. I have deleted uploads before and I didn't notice my stats go down. I'm a stat addict and I check often. Hehe

jakehellerModerator
(Stranger)
06/19/07 11:42 AM
Re: deleted items new [re: raytracer]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

That is true. You will not lose anything in terms of views (in fact, we encourage you to delete things that you want to delete... you probably do for a reason). However, and I doubt this is what you were thinking, generating illegal views and then deleting an item won't hide it from us; when we review your views at the end of the month, we can still see what it was, where the traffic came from, and will make our determinations from there.

-Jake 

franontheedge
(Stranger)
06/23/07 08:36 AM
Re: deleted items new [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Okay so further to this, suppose you think that one of your items can be improved.

Is it better to delete the item and upload the new improved version as a totally new thing? or to replace the old item with the new improved item?  or to simply upload the new improved version, leaving the old one where it is?

Just wondering what you think...

doaservices
(Stranger)
06/23/07 02:29 PM
Re: deleted items new [re: franontheedge]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

As a whole, replace it.  That way, people see it as a new item and KNOW that its "new and improved". 

There are always exceptions to every rule, such as if the old item tied into another item and/or set, or in a different format, etc.  You get the idea.  Just play it by ear.

raytracer
(Stranger)
06/23/07 08:56 PM
Re: deleted items [re: doaservices]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

One problem I notice is that when you edit and upload to change an artwork, the thumbnail links are different. So whatever you posted in a forum before, it wont show up. The link number at the end seems to change so you will have to update the post in that forum or anywhere else you posted the thumbnail link before.

franontheedge
(Stranger)
06/24/07 02:06 AM
Re: deleted items new [re: raytracer]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Yes, pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation. May as well post a totally new version as you'd have to update the links in forums anyway.  Of course it depends what the reason for the new version was, if there was a fault with the old one, only just recognised, then I'd rather replace the faulty version entirely, but if it's just an improvement, or an adjustment to the tone or a colour adjustment, then the old one isn't really faulty.  Then I'd leave the old one there.

I've already done that with an image of snowy footprints - I left the old one, the original version where the snow was rather greyish in tone, I left it up there, as that's the way it looked on that day, but I also brightened it up a bit and posted that version with the snow looking a bit whiter, both versions are perfectly useable, in fact I've used the original version for a grayer toned image - like on a dull day, or towards evening, and the whiter version for a brighter day, or at least, a brighter scene.

jakehellerModerator
(Stranger)
06/25/07 11:20 AM
Re: deleted items new [re: franontheedge]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

We suggest updating it if at all possible. You don't know who has linked to your work, and deleting it removes the opportunity for you to profit from those links that others (or yourself) established.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise