ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 360850 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
widaca
(Stranger)
08/12/07 04:33 PM
Re: Site Issues new [re: irishlostboy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I agree that the rating system is flawed.It shouldn't be anonymous.A downloader should have to be logged in to use the rating and comment systems.Ratings could be incorperated into the comments also.Example (widaca - has given this post a 5 star rating).

I took a look at your work, irishlostboy.Looks good to me.Maybe someone has mistaken low poly for low quality. Just one of the pitfalls of having so many different categories.Someone that uses only high poly models might not see that low poly has a place in the 3d verse.

"this is my opinion on the subject. i am biased and hypocritical. but then who isn't?"

dadchamp
(Newbie)
08/12/07 07:08 PM
Re: Site Issues new [re: widaca]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

There are definately people who abuse the rating system and I know where they come from. :-) Annonymous ratings is NOT a good idea because it can be abused so easily. Logged in ratings would be best so that the rater is identified. Also, I think the content provider should have the ability to address complaints in the comment section if one is posted. Sometimes a 'bad' review is due to a misunderstanding that can be corrected.

Edit: My bad ... we can post comments and replies on our own download post. Tongue out

Edited by dadchamp on 08/12/07 07:10 PM.

marcodd
(Stranger)
08/13/07 03:47 AM
Re: Site Issues new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Ratings are not anonymous, because we must be logged to rate... The problem here is that we can give a rate without a comment, so the rater is not identifiable.

In Renderosity gallery , for example, this is not permitted. I think ShareCG site administrators should copy from it...

dadchamp
(Newbie)
08/13/07 09:11 AM
Re: Site Issues new [re: marcodd]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Odd, most of my comments are listed as 'Guest'. Which obviously is someone who is NOT logged in!

I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

marcodd
(Stranger)
08/13/07 04:01 PM
Re: Site Issues new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Infact, guests can comment a work, but cannot rate it ... rating system doesn't work at all when you are not logged. So, all ratings to our works come from registered users (i suppose)...

dadchamp
(Newbie)
08/13/07 05:14 PM
Re: Site Issues new [re: marcodd]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

So ... ratings ARE annonimous. If there is no comment attached to a rating there is no way of knowing who gave you 1 star and who gave you 5 stars.

I say dump the stars. (In Hollywood too) They are annoying, useless, and many times misleading.

I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

joypauline
(Stranger)
08/15/07 11:29 PM
Re: Site Issues new [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I totally agree with all that has been said in the post but I am at a loss as to who suddenly decides to remove work from the site. I uploaded by following the lead of others as it IS difficult to know exactly which category to post in.

I have just had hours of my work removed by sharecg even though my uploads have been on site for more than a week. This of course means that all links to other sites are lost.

I am not interested in the money...just sharing my passion with others. There are many forms of CG and deciding which category you belong to on this site is difficult.

As a retired lecturer, I appreciate the fact that other members take the time to rate and comment. I have responded to requests for work both here and from my links and I am appalled that work just gets removed without warning.

I am a 58 year old female recovering from serious illness and do not need this childishness. I would love to know who suddenly makes the decision to remove work??? All my comments here and my mail at Renderosity have been very positive and, as I said, I even responded to requests.

I now feel the need to close my account as to re-classify and re-upload would take hours of my time. Would it not be more courteous to approach members first instead of sending those accusing emails that tell you that you have been rejected (even though your uploads have been on site for many days and had many views!!!).

I wanted this site to work as well....but surely contributors should NOT be treated badly. I re-iterate...there are many forms of CG and the site makes it difficult to determine how to categorise.

I have no interest in those individuals who see the whole affair as a competition. We are all adults and hopefully spurred on by sharing passions with like-minded people. We all have our own preferences for CG work, be it art, animation, textures or whatever....can the moderators not be more sympathetic to users work. BE MORE CLEAR ABOUT CATEGORIES.......YOU CREATED THEM...AND... YOU///HAVE NADE IT DIFFICULT TO DECIDE WHERE UPLOADS SHOULD GO!!!....I uploaded based on other's work that has been on site for weeks.

Sorry about this long post but I was dismayed to get multiple emails telling me that my uploads had been removed (after several days on the site). It is a good job i did not treat my students in this way if they posted their assignments into the wrong pigeonhole!!!!!

Wake up and think of the feelings of others before you act so impulsively.

I am left feeling like a naughty child....not appropriate at all.

Thanks to all members who have mailed and encouraged me when I have uploaded work.

I wish you ALL happy days of CG!!!!

jakehellerModerator
(Newbie)
08/17/07 11:58 AM
Re: Site Issues [re: joypauline]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi joypauline and everyone,

First of all, I want to apologize for the moderation, which must have been quite a scare for some of our users. It was unprofessionally handled. Although moderation is needed, we'll try to do it in a smarter way next time. 

Just to be clear, we have officially put on hold our moderation, precisely because we didn't want to undo people's hard work. All of your work is up again and functioning.

Instead, we're going to look into better ways of categorizing the site, to ensure that everything has a proper place. 

The way the database is set up, we cannnot destroy any of our current categories. Instead, we can only create. So far, I feel that the next biggest category to add is a "Poser" category, with subsections including poses, characters, clothing, hair, etc. (everything that people have been uploading in quite random places).

What we'll then do is go through all the content on the site that's already put in the wrong place, and put them in the right ones. There's over 12,000 items... so you'll have to bare with us while it happens.

If/when we do this, all links will continue to work. Hopefully, for the next 12,000 items, they'll all be in better categories.

In the future, we'll try to handle our moderating more responsibly and professionally to ensure that there are no hurt feelings and no utter  shock when you find all your work has been removed because it was 'miscategorized', etc.

Best,
Jacob

MatrixWorkz
(Journeyman)
08/17/07 02:07 PM
Re: Site Issues [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Jake,

If/When you add the Poser catagories, I, for one, will gladly edit all of my own stuff and recatagorise it myself. I'm sure there are many other's who'd be willing to recatagorise their stuff as well. It won't all have to fall on your shoulders. Just my 2 cents on that subject.

Steve

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

jakehellerModerator
(Newbie)
08/17/07 03:02 PM
Re: Site Issues new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thanks MatrixWorkz.

What I think I'll do is send out an e-mail to all our members explaining the situation, and asking them to re-categorize. I'll give it a few days (or a week or something), and those that haven't, I'll take care of it. 

The advantage to doing it on your own is that although I'll probably place it in "Poser" correctly, no guarantee that I'll choose the right format, or sub-categories. Better to take control of your own work.

Best,
Jake

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise