ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 37034 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

dadchamp
(Stranger)
07/11/07 09:00 PM
What is a Plug-in? new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

To my way of thinking a plug-in is a piece of software code written seperate from the main code of a software program that is used to extend the original abilities of the the software that it  'plugs in' to! A plug-in is NOT a texture, a 2D image, a material, or any other kind of art work that is loaded into a program by standard methods of loading, saving, import, export, or thru a materials library. Comon folks, GET IT RIGHT! If it is not written in Python, Maya script, or any other extensible scripting language for a 3D program, IT IS NOT A PLUG-IN! Label and post correctly!

I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

spacenewt
(Stranger)
07/11/07 11:40 PM
Re: What is a Plug-in? [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I do hear ya' and I agree with you, but plug'ins seems to be the only place to post stuff like backgrounds and transparent 'png's that are zipped...... it's either post them there or post them one at a time in art and clutter the place up even more with single images.....

It would be great if there was a 'resources' part of the site to put them in (that would hopefully stop all the transparent .png's getting posted in textures too).

dadchamp
(Newbie)
07/11/07 11:54 PM
Re: What is a Plug-in? new [re: spacenewt]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

It appears that ZIP files can be uploaded to texture section as a 'collection'. I just uploaded a zip to the database as a test in the textures section and it accepted it. (I also immediately deleted it.) So I would think that would be a much better match than putting it in the plug-in section.

I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

chaspo
(Stranger)
07/12/07 03:30 AM
Re: What is a Plug-in? new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have no problems uploading .zips to textures or models areas, it is my standard method of packaging.

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/chaspo 

Plug-ins are accessory programs, in code, not graphics.

joypauline
(Stranger)
08/16/07 01:16 AM
Re: What is a Plug-in? new [re: spacenewt]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Yes...this is the confusing issue!!!!!!....there is no real place for pngs etc. I produce alphabets and supply additional png resources alongside these. So my uploads contain LOTS OF STUFF....not just a couple of images.

I agree that a definition of plugins needs to be clearly stated so that we can all upload to appropriate categories. Perhaps more categories are needed to accommodate all the various forms of CG. All forms have their uses and none are more important than others.

Thanks for raising this issue....cos it often leads to subscribers having all their work removed!!!!

Could we have a list of the categories stating CLEARLY what each should contain????

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise