ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 43048 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

MatrixWorkz
(Newbie)
08/11/07 08:20 PM
Forms of Acceptable Advertising new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

No offense to the admin's here and I know the site is supposed to be powered by it's advertisers, but can't you PLEASE avoid using POPUPS!  That just happens to be the most annoying form of internet advertsing around and it WILL drive both content providers like myself and visitors away from this site! I've only noticed the popups in just the past week but I've already heard complaints on other sites about them. If you want to kill the site. Just keep adding popups!  Undecided

raytracer
(Newbie)
08/11/07 08:29 PM
Re: Forms of Acceptable Advertising [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Really? I haven't noticed them yet. But I agree this is not good for the site. I hope they dont implement it.

dadchamp
(Newbie)
08/11/07 08:53 PM
Re: Forms of Acceptable Advertising new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Popups annoying? Why yes they are. But they are also probably the highest paying type since they are so in-your-face. At least these have a 'skip' button on them. I can live with popups if it means I get little better share at the end of the month. Sealed

I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

MatrixWorkz
(Newbie)
08/11/07 09:58 PM
Re: Forms of Acceptable Advertising new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I could care less about my share. If it kills the site, it's not good! That's all I'm sayin'!  Cry  The biggest reason to avoid popups is because so many people used them for purposes that are not just advertising. That's why so many popup blockers are around these days. Hackers use them, Malware uses them and Virus writers use them.

Edited by MatrixWorkz on 08/11/07 10:01 PM.

jakehellerModerator
(Newbie)
08/12/07 01:05 PM
Re: Forms of Acceptable Advertising new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Our apologies; we're been working with a new ad network, which pays significantly more than Google, and I didn't know how to turn off the annoying stuff yet.

But DadChamp is right: popups and full-page ads do pay far more than your average banner. 

The question is: are there other forms of acceptable advertising to help bolster site income?  Pop-unders? Those ads that say "Skip" but cover up the whole page?

Hopefully, this won't be an issue for long, as soon as we get financing from sources from within the industry. 

-Jake 

widaca
(Stranger)
08/12/07 02:50 PM
Re: Forms of Acceptable Advertising new [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have no problem with popups, popunders or "skip" ads,if they are one per visit.

The only thing I worry about with skip ads is if it comes between an offsite link and an items download page.For instance...If click on a download link at renderosity then there is an ad i must skip to get to the download page.Most sites require you to at least link to the page where an item can be downloaded.

The quality of the downloads/art/tutorials is more important I belive.If you give the people what thay want/need they will live with the annoyances.Quality Standards need to be set, and the user agreement needs to be enforced.If I was an ad rep I woudn't advertise at a site that has multliple copyright violations,poor unorganized content,etc.

Edited by widaca on 08/12/07 03:15 PM.

MatrixWorkz
(Newbie)
08/12/07 04:06 PM
Re: Forms of Acceptable Advertising new [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

All I know is that I personally would rather do without than have to click through dozens of popups for one download. If you can do it where it doesn't interfere with the access to the content, fine. When it becomes work to access a free download, you're going to find a huge percentage of folks will stop coming here for content. This, to me, can be a site killer.

I know you have to have revenue, and yeah, I'd love to have more. But you will be walking a very fine line with popup's and click throughs. If they can be kept to an acceptable limit that doesn't interfere with the content, sure. Do what it takes to make the site run. Just keep in mind that the income is based on traffic and if the advertising reaches a point where it drives that traffic away, you've shot yourself in the foot for pie in the sky.

I personally run a popup blocker because of the annoyance facter, but I still hear a ding everytime one attempts to open. Popunder's seem to be getting around the popup blocker however, and this just seem's overly agressive. Of course, these are my own opinions on the matter and everyone will have their own. You'll never keep everyone happy.

You just need to be clear on what the site goal is going to be about. Is it mainly about the money or is it about the content. When it's about the money, I think you'll find more people abusing the system than if it's to be about the content. Again, that's just my own personal opinion.

jalex417Moderator
(Member)
02/11/10 12:35 PM

Hi MatrixWorkz --- We don't add or consciously allow pop-up ads on the site.  At times we do have Google Ad Sense push ads to the site and these usually aren't pop-ups, but there could be a few pop-ups that sneak through.  If you can let us know specifically which annoying ads you've seen we can add filters for these to insure that they don't get in everyone's way.  We monitor the site very closely and haven't seen any pop-ups, but will continue to stay on it --- we don't want to 'kill' the site!

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise