ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 152872 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
draagonstorm
(Stranger)
09/30/07 09:04 AM
Star Ratings Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

There seems to be a problem with the star ratings. (at least in the Halloween Challenge) To many people have a just a one star rating for work that should be much higher, and I have a comment about not being able to post a star rating to one of my submissions.

Can you guys at sharecg check this out.

DraagonStorm

joypauline
(Newbie)
09/30/07 09:19 AM
Re: Star Ratings [re: draagonstorm]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Ha ha.......that is what I found too!!!!! I viewed a lovely work today and left a comment on the member's page. Then I tried to up their rating from one star....but I could not do it after giving a comment. Thanks for confirming that I am not going crazy!!!!

I noticed yesterday (early hours for you in the USA!) that someone was on-line giving all the art one star!

CheersLaughing

MatrixWorkz
(Journeyman)
09/30/07 10:24 AM
Re: Star Ratings new [re: draagonstorm]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You can not rate your own submissions. As for the thing about someone rating everything with 1 star. That's why I don't really care for a rating system to begin with. It's always open to abuse. I also have to ask just how you know what someone else is rating your submissions. If someone rates you work lower than it's current rating that will affect it's overall rating but that doesn't neccesarily mean they only rated it one star either. Rating something that's currently 5 stars with a 3 star rating will lower your rating and those 3 stars may very well be just what the rater feels an image deserves. That doesn't make them abusers.

People will rate things what they think they're worth or they'll abuse the system. Either way it can lower your overall rating. One Star being abusive from one person and One Star being an honest opinion of your work from somebody else, You really can't tell the difference between the two either. Without knowing a person's heart, you really can't judge their motives for the ratings they hand out.

I personally don't pay any attention to the stars given my content. Views and downloads are what really counts. Comments count next. Stars are the least thing to worry about in my opinion because they're biased and totally arbitrary. Frown

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

marcodd
(Stranger)
09/30/07 10:32 AM
Re: Star Ratings new [re: draagonstorm]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I think this is a big problem here at ShareCG.

The rating system is not useful at all, because the rater remain anonymous, and some 

people lose their time giving low rates to the other users work, without any motivation.

The solution (imho) is to generate an automatic comment with the user name and rate, 

or to merge the rating system with the comments, if technically possible. 

MatrixWorkz
(Journeyman)
09/30/07 10:34 AM
Re: Star Ratings new [re: marcodd]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Right now I think there are more important issues that the site needs to resolve like the one where people are having difficulties downloading our content. This is WAY more important to me than the stupid ratings system which I ignore anyway.

joypauline
(Newbie)
09/30/07 10:50 AM
Re: Star Ratings [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hmmmmmmmmmm....you are right as always!!!!!! I was not trying to rate my OWN work but that of another member!!!! A nice piece of work with one star. I agree that there are far more important issues but clearly it is an issue that can affect some people.

I tend to agree with the idea that rating should be linked to comment...then it would be meaningful to all concerned.

CheersSmile 

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
09/30/07 11:20 AM
Re: Star Ratings [re: joypauline]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

No I didn't think you were, but from the way the original poster worded his post it sounds like he was trying to rate his own work. I'm certainly not always right. In fact, I could be wrong, but that's how his post read to me.

joypauline
(Newbie)
09/30/07 12:04 PM
Re: Star Ratings new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Lol...I have just realised that it was me who wanted to rate the work of the original poster. I left a mesage indicating that it would not allow me.......I had just posted a message and then the star rating was disabled!!!!!...the same thing happened when I tried to rate one of your works!!!!!.....I was partucularly impressed with one of your models and wanted to star rate....but it would not let me!!!!

jakehellerModerator
(Journeyman)
09/30/07 12:19 PM
Re: Star Ratings new [re: joypauline]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

This is certainly interesting, and I'll look into it. I think I know what the problem is, and hopefully it'll be a quick fix.

-Jake 

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
09/30/07 12:35 PM
Re: Star Ratings [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

If I had a choice I'd turn ratings off on my models. That's how I feel about stars.  Tongue out

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise