ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 283964 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/08/07 10:06 PM
The Spam Backlash has begun! Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Since certain members here can't seem to bundle their backgrounds for uploading, some sites like Renderosity are now placing limits on freebie uploads. IE: Linking to freebies here! I'd just like to say thanks to the spammers for not taking this seriously!

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

Kimber89
(Stranger)
10/09/07 01:28 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Can't say I'm surprised and I doubt the ones "spamming" their wares really care that they have given this hosting site a bad rep & they probably don't read the forums either.

angelaandreoli
(Stranger)
10/09/07 04:06 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: Kimber89]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

oh holy hell! ok i am ready to kick and scream now....GGGRRRRR

jalex417Moderator
(Journeyman)
10/09/07 08:26 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Ever the problem solver, I wonder if you could please detail this 'problem' so I can fully understand it and hopefully find a solution.  We definately don't want to get/have a bad reputation. 

joypauline
(Newbie)
10/09/07 08:35 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: jalex417]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I think the problem that keeps being discussed relates to the multiple uploads of files that are simply variations on a theme or relate to the same product. The bad reputation comes when it is necessary to plough through so many similar (almost identical) items from one uploader. I do not think that it means all uploaders of single items. Some of these necessarily have to be sinlge items as they are ALL so different.

If someone is uploading multiple backgrounds that appear to go together in a theme, then I do not see why these are not zipped!!!!!...other than to get more views.

Cheers

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/09/07 08:51 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: jalex417]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

It's exactly what Joy outlined. Plus, many sites are getting fed up with seeing the same items uploaded over and over again with simple color variations or just multiple submissions of the exact same item on their sites. 

Apparently some people are making multiple uploads at Renderosity that all link back to the exact same item here but are placing them in different catagories there so that they're seen by people searching on catagories at that site. That's not something that can be fixed from this end. That's up to the user to comply to.

jalex417Moderator
(Journeyman)
10/09/07 09:12 AM

Thank you both for giving me something to think about.  Oh, BTW (re your Einstein quote) ... I'm currently reading 'Einstein - His Life and Unvrese' by Walter Isaacson ... very good biography and well written. 

Thanks again for giving me a better understanding of what's happening.

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/09/07 09:50 AM

Thanks I'll have to go check it out at the library. It's been a while since I've read up on Albert.

Jumpstartme2
(Journeyman)
10/09/07 08:06 PM

Just wanted to pop in here and let everyone know, that ShareCG is NOT getting a bad rep. We decided to cap some of the mass uploading going on over at Rendo because of the enormous amount coming in from a few freebie providers..

And yes, we were beginning to see some duplicate items being uploaded there that had already been previously approved..some were honest accidents, but some were not. Unfortunately the mass uploaders we have caught abusing the system, did in fact host their items here at SCG. SCG is not to blame for this.

If we all work together on this, hopefully we can get this abuse to stop, and we can all enjoy sharing our creations once again :) 

The discussions on limits have been in the works for quite awhile. ShareCG has responded to the problems of abuse, and Renderosity is doing the same. We're going to see how the system we have in place will work out {3 uploads per 24 hrs, 1 approval per provider, per 24 hrs}

If it doesn't work they way we think it will, we'll think of doing something else.  ;)

angelaandreoli
(Stranger)
10/09/07 09:22 PM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: Jumpstartme2]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

i just had a question...(my brain hurts...) we can upload 21 items and get approved for 7 of them a week,correct? just making sure i know whats what.

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/09/07 10:05 PM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: Jumpstartme2]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

It may not be Renderosity's official view that the abuser's are affecting the reputation of ShareCG, but Renderosity is not the only site I see people complaining about the ShareCG spam on. When people start suggesting Freebies from this site be banned. It's the site that get's the blame.

Unfortunately it's the site being condemned 9 times out of 10 and not just the users who abuse the system. I'm going on what I've read at the sites and folks are blaming ShareCG for offering a pay incentive which is being abused and causing spam. Just my 2 cents.

Jumpstartme2
(Journeyman)
10/09/07 11:45 PM

@Angela,

Yes, for the week it will amount to 21 uploads, and 7 approvals. If you upload more than 3 per 24 hrs tho, anything over that 3 will be deleted, and you will have to re-upload those items.

@Matrix

Yes, I totally understand. I don't like the fact that users are suggesting banning freebies 'or' providers who use SCG to host their items on...I can say that its not going to happen on Rendo tho..there are no plans on banning items hosted here, nor banning providers who use SCG to host their items. 

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/09/07 11:57 PM

It's good to know that you're the one approving stuff at Rendo. I just worry about other site with less patient mods.

adp__
(Stranger)
10/10/07 06:05 AM

ShareCG isn't  innocent :) The Poser upload page says: "Upload lots of stuff". This sounds like an invitation to me.

dadchamp
(Journeyman)
10/10/07 06:35 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: adp__]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I think the word 'stuff' should be replaced with 'quality items'.

I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/10/07 08:51 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: adp__]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I don't think it's ShareCG's fault that people abuse the system. It should go without saying that the site wants quality items. It is a business site after all and crap doesn't pull in the good advertisers or customers. Could that Poser upload page be worded better? Probably. It wouldn't stop people who are going to abuse the system though. That's going to take some direct intervention which I do believe they're doing now.

vkirchner
(Stranger)
10/10/07 09:03 AM

Sad to say that not all people are interested in uploading quality items, such as mass generated abstract images of God knows what made from a simple graphics program.  Maybe there is a use for this type of image, but I do not have one.  I do not fault them for uploading, just please bundle them so they are not obtrusive.  Jumpstartme2 has been a help like many others at Rendo and other sites, they know that we all benefit from sharing of our skills and talents.  The limit that Rendo talks about will just take a little more planning around work schedules and such, possibly they would allow us to base this on a monthly quota instead of a daily, which would allow some of us with erratic schedules (darn customers) to upload with a more flexible timeframe.

Smile 

adp__
(Stranger)
10/10/07 09:09 AM

Hope it is only a missunderstanding. I didn't say it's somebodies fault. Perhaps it's just a bit too mutch believe in well behaving users ;)

Anyway. Whatever Rendo or shareCG did: Seems it works. So just changing a wording that could be missunderstood as an invitation for new users may help avoiding the next spam-attack. It's a very "cheap" action.

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/10/07 11:57 AM

Sorry but when you said ShareCG wasn't "Innocent" that implies guilt or fault. I see english isn't your main language though, so I obviously didn't get your true meaning.

adp__
(Stranger)
10/10/07 01:00 PM

Sorry, you are right, english is not my first language. But I hope anything is fine now. Thanks for your understanding.

Varnayrah
(Stranger)
10/11/07 05:22 AM

I think ReRos reaction is right... though it may be an inconvenience for those of us who try to make their stuff decently and bundle as much as they can, I think these thousands and thousands of single (just to give an example) Textures for the Multiplane Cyclorama and things like that are a far far bigger inconvenience. Whenever I opened ReRo's freepozitors the last weeks I stumbled about that flood of single items. So if those providers are now forced to bundle their textures that's really a good thing

(it would be even better if that upload- time-out-error thing could be fixed wich forces me to limit all my files to 20 Mb here, but that's another case ;)) 

angelaandreoli
(Stranger)
10/11/07 10:30 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: Varnayrah]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

okie dokie....all this talk about multiple uploads of the same thing,and mulitplane textures made me do some research.

in order to upload something onto sharecg it has to be your own work or you have to have permission to use it. i have two very spacific questions....

1.are you allowed to go to a royalty free site and take pictures from there and post them as backgrounds?

people are doing this and in the details of the upload they say "based on a photo from" blah blah blah. but i went to the site and its the same pictures.

2.NOT THAT I WOULD EVER DO THIS.....are you allowed to,since these pictures are royalty free,post the same pictures as someone else.

for example,and again i would never do this,but lets just say for a moment,i go to the same royalty free site and take the same pictures without realizing and posted them on here.

here is my first complaint in the forums.....i do not think that this should be allowed.and i think that people who are doing that should be ashamed.for one,there was absolutely no work put into that and they shouldnt be paid for that.just my opinion and second i think its just cheap and a crappy thing to do.

in conclusion,being a person who posts textures,since i dont have a modeling program,anyone can look at my stuff and see that alot of work goes into doing them and presenting them and i always bundle the stuff that i make.its common sense and it looks nice.

Varnayrah
(Stranger)
10/11/07 10:49 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: angelaandreoli]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You're perfectly right, of course. Just taking a photo from somewhere and posting that as Background - people doing that should be ashamed of themself. Yes, I have two packages with backgrounds in my portfolio, yes, they are photos, but my own, taken by myself, and bundled...nothing against nice background photos but bundling them and taking ones own photos should be the least!

And nothing against good, nice texture sets, why not - not everybody can make models, and textures for popular clothing sets are allways welcome. But then, I don't think anyone here would complain against decently crafted texture sets. I think it's that flood of (for example) single textures for the multiplane cyclorama (in fact consisting of one .jpg-file) or things like that. In my opinion that's just disgusting, sorry if anyone is offended.

Panthia
(Stranger)
10/11/07 11:31 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: Varnayrah]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Personally, I'm happy with Renderosity finally limiting the uploads......It was getting ridiculous to go to the Free Section and have to go thru pages of single cyclo crap to find the one - three decent uploads for the day before. 

My question is this.....wonder if the person uploading all the cyclo single packs ever comes into the forums here and reads posts like this one? 

HoboBo
(Stranger)
10/11/07 01:15 PM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: angelaandreoli]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

For your information - I asked and got permission to use their photos for Cyclorama

textures - as long as I mention their web-site.

Also, I don´t post the photos as they are - I remake them to fit DAZ Cyclorama.

-Bo 

HoboBo

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/11/07 01:30 PM

If you have proof that someone is uploading stuff from another royalty free site. PLEASE! Click on the "Report Inappropriate Material" link for those items with information on where they came from so that they can be pulled from the site.

Royalty Free does NOT = Permission to redistribute as your own work.

adp__
(Stranger)
10/11/07 01:34 PM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: HoboBo]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Did you ask for permissions to spam other sites with their photos?

And why do you ignore the fact that allmost nobody needs nor wants what you offer?

angelaandreoli
(Stranger)
10/11/07 03:39 PM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: HoboBo]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

oh good lord....i did not mean to put anyone in an uproar.and i wasnt saying that it was you spacificly.matter of fact i didnt even know that you yourself had cyclorama stuff. i only posted what i posted because i had two questions.

edited.....

on the other hand,if the art section had a download button,would everyone be excpected to bundle their art? a picture is a picture if its a background or a texture or what have you.a single file is a single file.

Edited by angelaandreoli on 10/11/07 03:59 PM.

Kimber89
(Stranger)
10/11/07 03:42 PM

That's a bit harsh adp_.....if people didn't want/need his cyclo textures then he wouldn't be getting hits. I remember when I first got the Daz Cyclorama and went hunting for textures for it, so he is welcome to do so. If he has gained permission to use stock photos & redistribute then he can promote his offerings. 

I'm glad he is now doing bundles, thank you very much HoboBo for doing so. :)

HoboBo
(Stranger)
10/11/07 03:48 PM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: Kimber89]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Kimber89,

Thanks a lot for being the first one who understands me!

-Bo

HoboBo

jakehellerModerator
(Journeyman)
10/12/07 06:48 PM

Hi Angela,

The answer to both questions is NO. Everything must be your own original works. We don't want to award people for copying and uploading other people's stuff. Even if it's not a copyright violation, it's not the point of the site: to award good artists for the hard work they do.

-Jake

angelaandreoli
(Stranger)
10/13/07 07:28 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

thank you for the prompt answer to that. so what i should do next is start flagging the ones that are "copys" so to speak and send that with the info on what site they came from.correct? i have to make sure i wouldnt be doing anything wrong. and the things i click on will be double checked to make sure i havent made a mistake. ok so i have a bunch of free time today i will get to clicking.

jakehellerModerator
(Journeyman)
10/13/07 08:36 AM

Checking up to see that we don't have any illegal content on our site would be appreciated. On the other hand, we have to make sure not to make any mistakes or be overbroad. We'll tread carefully with every suggestion you give.

Thanks for the help!

Jake

angelaandreoli
(Stranger)
10/13/07 10:58 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

oh yes please double check to make sure that i havent made a mistake.

-----

one of the sites that stuff is comming from, is called www.fontplay.com/freephotos

they actuall have some beautiful hi res pictures.they are for free and they say on the front page that you dont need to ask for permission to use them however you want and they say in the same paragraph that you dont need to give credit.

someone on sharecg has taken a few of these and extended the sand or ground or what have you at the bottom of the photo so it fits on the cyclorama.

now as far as i can tell that is the only differance between whats on that site and whats being posted here. if this should be flagged please let me know. 

----- another site that stuff is comming from is called.......

www.cepolina.com

a differant person is taking photos from there and posting them on here. but,lets say for example that its a beach picture...they would take the people out of the photo and then call it good. i would like to know if this should be flagged as well.

like i said befor i dont want to flag something that shouldnt be flagged.

Edited by angelaandreoli on 10/13/07 11:24 AM.

jalex417Moderator
(Journeyman)
10/13/07 01:50 PM

Regarding the person or persons using material from fontplay.com/freephotos ... they have added the following to the description portion of their uploads:

'ItemName' is based on photo from http://http://www.fontplay.com/freephotos/ Thanks for looking :)

By doing this these users are not only following the guidlines posted on the fontplay site but are providing recognition and a link back to that site to help fontplay.com/freephotos get more page views.

Edited by ibsystems on 10/14/07 04:25 PM.

classylady
(Stranger)
10/15/07 10:19 PM

I think it is a shame that this site should take on a "bad rep" just because some people can't show courtesy to others.

Is there a limit here besides 180 megs ?? Reason I ask is the day I posted  another person posted right after 5 pages worth. Seems like in the future a limit may be needed.

As for Renderosity, after what they accused me of I won't be posting any freebies there.  Long story won't bore anyone

Yet people who have taken advantage of what we all enjoy here has caused all the current problems with Renderosity.  This site does not deserve to be " a bad site"  I can see both sides of the situation , your never going to please everyone, but for those who have caused this abuse stop and think of others once in awhile...let alone again what you enjoy here.

THINK PEOPLE WHAT IS GOING ON RIGHT NOW  the Admin here have asked nicely, possibly putting it in to a news letter may help., or thinking about a limited items in the future. I don't have the answer just my own personal opinion and not trying to make anyone upset.

classylady/Carolyn

3dgreg
(Stranger)
10/27/08 08:43 PM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: classylady]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Geez, I always thought this was supposed to be for having some fun. Oh well, I'll continue having fun and let those others hang themselves. What about the idea, three strikes and your out ? Seems like someone is always trying to take advantage of a system somewhere, what a shame.

Still, this is awesome site, one of a kind !

ibsystemsAdministrator
(Stranger )
10/30/08 09:47 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: 3dgreg]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi All .... I'm working on cleaning out any spam entries this morning.

Also, STAND BY BIG THINGS COMING!!!!  We'll be launching a new site look and functionality within the next two weeks that is truely awesome .... we're going black to highlight your works and the site's entire look and feel is super cool and more ergonomic.  Stay tuned ....

Edited by ibsystems on 10/30/08 09:49 AM.

jalex417Moderator
(Member)
11/03/08 03:26 PM

Hi ... You can post as much as you'd like .... the only time things will be rejected is if they're blatantly in bad taste or if they don't belong on the site at all. 

Go for it!!

David
ShareCG.com

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise