ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 281985 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/08/07 10:06 PM
The Spam Backlash has begun! Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Since certain members here can't seem to bundle their backgrounds for uploading, some sites like Renderosity are now placing limits on freebie uploads. IE: Linking to freebies here! I'd just like to say thanks to the spammers for not taking this seriously!

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

Kimber89
(Stranger)
10/09/07 01:28 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Can't say I'm surprised and I doubt the ones "spamming" their wares really care that they have given this hosting site a bad rep & they probably don't read the forums either.

angelaandreoli
(Stranger)
10/09/07 04:06 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! [re: Kimber89]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

oh holy hell! ok i am ready to kick and scream now....GGGRRRRR

jalex417Moderator
(Journeyman)
10/09/07 08:26 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Ever the problem solver, I wonder if you could please detail this 'problem' so I can fully understand it and hopefully find a solution.  We definately don't want to get/have a bad reputation. 

joypauline
(Newbie)
10/09/07 08:35 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! [re: jalex417]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I think the problem that keeps being discussed relates to the multiple uploads of files that are simply variations on a theme or relate to the same product. The bad reputation comes when it is necessary to plough through so many similar (almost identical) items from one uploader. I do not think that it means all uploaders of single items. Some of these necessarily have to be sinlge items as they are ALL so different.

If someone is uploading multiple backgrounds that appear to go together in a theme, then I do not see why these are not zipped!!!!!...other than to get more views.

Cheers

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/09/07 08:51 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! [re: jalex417]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

It's exactly what Joy outlined. Plus, many sites are getting fed up with seeing the same items uploaded over and over again with simple color variations or just multiple submissions of the exact same item on their sites. 

Apparently some people are making multiple uploads at Renderosity that all link back to the exact same item here but are placing them in different catagories there so that they're seen by people searching on catagories at that site. That's not something that can be fixed from this end. That's up to the user to comply to.

jalex417Moderator
(Journeyman)
10/09/07 09:12 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thank you both for giving me something to think about.  Oh, BTW (re your Einstein quote) ... I'm currently reading 'Einstein - His Life and Unvrese' by Walter Isaacson ... very good biography and well written. 

Thanks again for giving me a better understanding of what's happening.

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/09/07 09:50 AM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! new [re: jalex417]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thanks I'll have to go check it out at the library. It's been a while since I've read up on Albert.

Jumpstartme2
(Journeyman)
10/09/07 08:06 PM

Just wanted to pop in here and let everyone know, that ShareCG is NOT getting a bad rep. We decided to cap some of the mass uploading going on over at Rendo because of the enormous amount coming in from a few freebie providers..

And yes, we were beginning to see some duplicate items being uploaded there that had already been previously approved..some were honest accidents, but some were not. Unfortunately the mass uploaders we have caught abusing the system, did in fact host their items here at SCG. SCG is not to blame for this.

If we all work together on this, hopefully we can get this abuse to stop, and we can all enjoy sharing our creations once again :) 

The discussions on limits have been in the works for quite awhile. ShareCG has responded to the problems of abuse, and Renderosity is doing the same. We're going to see how the system we have in place will work out {3 uploads per 24 hrs, 1 approval per provider, per 24 hrs}

If it doesn't work they way we think it will, we'll think of doing something else.  ;)

angelaandreoli
(Stranger)
10/09/07 09:22 PM
Re: The Spam Backlash has begun! [re: Jumpstartme2]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

i just had a question...(my brain hurts...) we can upload 21 items and get approved for 7 of them a week,correct? just making sure i know whats what.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise