ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 170885 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lobsterhead
(Stranger)
11/02/07 04:48 AM
mod Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Ok, I started a thread on the need for some form of mod to try and filter out some of the 'unwanted uploads', you all know the type of thing I'm talking about, the mass uploads of images containing not a single spark of originality, and the ones taking advantage of the system.

I'm new to this site, so you're all probably thinking who the hell are you?

But at the risk of getting flamed, I will put my name forward as a part time mod,

Will anyone else? hang on before you reply, give me time to put on my asbestos suit. 

marcodd
(Stranger)
11/02/07 05:48 AM
Re: mod [re: Lobsterhead]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Great post, you made me laughing Laughing... did you wear your suit?

I completely agree with you, this site urgently needs some kind of moderation... 

jakehellerModerator
(Journeyman)
11/02/07 06:28 AM
Re: mod new [re: Lobsterhead]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi Lobsterhead,

Thanks for volunteering.

Just wondering, do you have any experience moderating for other communities? What's the system like?

-Jake 

joypauline
(Journeyman)
11/02/07 07:30 AM
Re: mod new [re: Lobsterhead]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...why not?....if you tell us something about your approach???

Get the fire extinguisher ready...lol

Cheers

Lobsterhead
(Stranger)
11/02/07 08:10 AM
Re: mod [re: joypauline]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Ok, here we go :) I've seen it said in another thread I started (I do like to be popular) 'CGSociety snobbery', well although I could see some changes there, the basic idea of uploading anything you like to your personal gallery but only work of a certain quality to the public gallery has some merit.  I don't think that's 'snobbery', after all you are given the option of submitting work for inclusion in the public gallery. I'm not advocating that system exactly, but I don't see a problem with artists being recognised for putting more time and effort into their work than some others. That said, I don't believe that work should be relegated to an unseen personal gallery.  I'm putting forward the idea of two public galleries, one for any work posted, another for work that stands out. Sort of along the lines of CGSociety's CGChoice gallery. I've never made it into

that gallery, but one look and I know why, nothing to do with snobbery, just quality. 

I couldn't care less what people think of me so I'm happy to be part of that judging process, and before anyone whines about how it's wrong to be judged, get over it, for those who create art for fun it's a good incentive to improve and sets a benchmark to aim for, and for those who have or want a career in cg then having your work judged is part and parcel of the job.  Btw, I have absolutely no experience in being a mod, although I did once have a parka and a vespa, my only qualification is my willingness to put my name forward. That and the fact that I will stand by what I believe to be right and back down and apologise when I'm wrong. As for my ability to judge other peoples work, who knows, I'm what I consider a good artist but not a great one(yet) what qualifies anyone to judge anothers work? Maybe it's just what I mentioned above, a willingness to give it a try.

NOW BURN ME BABY!!! 

classylady
(Stranger)
11/02/07 09:15 AM
Re: mod [re: Lobsterhead]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I doubt if anyone will burn you, I personally  do not post in the art galllery but like you I wouldn't mine helpinig out on a part time basis and I have and do have mod experience a total of about 5 years worth. I offered in another thread but got no reply so guess they don't think much of my offer. lol  I'm pretty used to V Bulletin.

Yet am still willing to help out the idea of having 2 galleries may just stop people from uploading something that has no class to it  or was accomplised with no effort put into it. I also have along with my husband our own art community,  none of which would interfer with spending a few hours a day here helping out where ever needed. That is pretty much up to Admin, yet it doesn't take much to know quality vs quanity. I also think this should not be specifically for the art galleries it could also do justice to this site to also limit some unwanted items uploaded in all area's.

At least you openly made the offer that has to count for something positive.Smile

I'll make the offer  also, the main thing is to have moderators that are willing to help out Admin obviously they can not do it all alone. I'm not a great artist but like you I do know the difference. So its up to Admin now. I work mainly in Poser, Bryce and Vue Infinity,Terragen and a few other programs.

Good Luck I am sure if needed they will count you in.

Thanks for starting this much needed thread

classylady

Panthia
(Newbie)
11/02/07 10:02 AM
Re: mod [re: classylady]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I would be more than willing to help out also.......I'm not one of the many great artists......but I do atleast put effort into my images......altho I could put more effort into them if I had a pc that would handle that!  hahahahahahaha working on it!

I do however know the difference when someone throws an animal on a generic background vs. someone who went far beyond that......

As for mod experience, well......I own 3 Pagan groups, mod another (mainly make graphics for it), and co-mod a Daz Studio group........BUT.....I have no experience in V Bulletiin......but I can learn......

Also, well....I'm a stay at home mommy.....I'm on the pc from the time I get the kids off to school til I go to bed, stopping to eat occasionaly, feed the hubby and kids and get my 7 year old from school......They haven't outlawed smoking in your homes yet here in Tennessee so I don't have to go outside for that yet!

Like Lobster I will voice my opinion (ya'll didn't know that did ya!) but I try to admit when I'm wrong........

Lobster has his suit.....I gots me bubble wrap!

I vote Matrix mods too!  Where is here btw.......

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
11/02/07 11:01 AM
Re: mod new [re: Panthia]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Now cut that out! I don't wanna Mod! I ran a whole website for 5 years. I've done my time as Admin/Moderator when I ran lostin3d.com. Now my contribution to the community is my my freebies. That should be plenty. Besides, I just don't spend my time purusing the galleries here or anywhere else. I'm either making something or posting in the forums. Innocent

I just want to know this. Are we talking about just moderating the gallerys here or also the freebie upload areas? That's where I see things getting sticky. Who's to judge? What may be useful to you may not be useful to someone else and visa versa. I have no use for Cyclorama backgrounds, but that doesn't mean people who use it don't need them. I don't own the DAZ Cyclorama, but I do use the RDNA MicroCosm Sky Dome that came with Poser 6 on occassion.

That's my 2 cents. Cool

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

joypauline
(Journeyman)
11/02/07 11:02 AM

Sounds good and you have got others to volunteer!!!!!!!

Panthia.....I do not think Matrixworkz wants to do this mod thing.....but he does seem to be absent today!!!

Go for it Lobsterhead!!!....I will join you all too!

Cheers

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
11/02/07 11:08 AM
Re: mod new [re: joypauline]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Waves at Joyce! Cross posted. Tongue out

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise