ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 334308 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
irishlostboy
(Journeyman)
11/06/07 12:05 AM
Re: Unfair earnings split [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

when i say "fixed" ....read the rest of the sentence. the bit where i say "based on...etc. i dunno. maybe i phrased it wrong. i know the spelling is atrocious. as usual. but it looks like my base communication is wrong too.

what does it normally mean when something is "fixed" based on.. something else?

its a moot pointanyway. lets see some answers to my views raised in my prevous post. or are they not something people feel needs to be discussed? 

http://irishlostboy.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://www.sharecg.com/pf/irishlostboy

arqam
(Stranger)
11/06/07 01:41 AM
Re: Unfair earnings split new [re: Kimber89]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

guys,

when we first joined this site sharecg said that the average pay PER VIEW was the amount W lets say, so every month we get paid (W multiplied by the number of views each member generated per month). which means that the advertisers are paying PER CLICK not a fixed amount of money.

so if that is the case, then even if the number of views increases the amount per click (W) should not go down as long as the advertisers are still paying the same money.

based on the above, the person initiated this discussion is 100% right.

adp__
(Newbie)
11/06/07 04:43 AM
Re: Unfair earnings split new [re: arqam]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

"which means that the advertisers are paying PER CLICK not a fixed amount of money."

On a Pay Per Click basis, IMHO no visitor with an "ad-free" browser should be counted as a "view". With Firefox and Adblock/Noscript installed this site is completly "clean".

I'm new here (6 weeks) and my content has generated ~45000 views last month. So there should be at least 45000 * (ads per page) more than the month before. We'll see what comes out next month.

jakehellerModerator
(Journeyman)
11/06/07 07:03 AM
Re: Unfair earnings split [re: irishlostboy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi All,

I'll try my best to explain an incredibly complicated situation.

First, like our equation shows, the important number is the amount we make per pageview on average--that is, if we take the amount we make per month and divide it by the pageviews we recieved over the last month, that's the number we get. Each pageview is not equal. Consider these facts:

• Google pays per click-through. So some pageviews when there are Google ads we are making $0, other times, when there is  a click-through, we can get  anywhere between 50 cents and $10 for the pageview. (PS: this doesn't mean you should click on all the ads all the time! Although clicking casually on things you are interested in would definitely help, we do not want to lose our account because of click fraud!)
  • Other (in our opinion, better) advertisers pay on a pay-per-view basis. For those of you in the States, you'll see TribalFusion ads, and in the near future, 24/7 Realmedia ads. These guys pay $1-$10 per 1,000 pageviews, which although isn't great, it's something, and better than we have been experiencing.
    • But, here's one of the real challenges: we have an enormous international user base that's growing daily. We're very grateful for the contributions they have made, and definitely don't want to discourage them from coming. But the truth is that advertisers will not pay for international traffic. So the $1-$10 number above drops to 0 for a lot of our users.
    • Essentially, we make money off of the US users, and split that number amongst pageviews which include international.
    • If you really want to help in this respect, spread the word about ShareCG in forums, etc. where there are a lot of US users. I'm not positive that I know where that is, but I think CGSociety does. The way to popularize it, by the way, is by posting links to your content (which of course helps you), but real content is often a more interesting draw than an admittedly lame homepage.
    • Also, add your pages to directories like digg, stumbleupon, etc. We'll try to set up tools that help in that respect. Whenever something is picked by stumbleupon, for example, we get massive influxes of US traffic.
  • Finally, we every-so-often get advertisers who buy ads directly from our site. They are usually very, very targetted (e.g., Autodesk), but for whatever reason they don't get enough click-throughs. Please, if you're interested in them, CLICK! Whenever they come, they are our higher-paying users.
  • Finally, we're going to be starting soon with video-ads. They're going to be slightly annoying, but usually no more than 10 seconds for short videos, and 30 seconds for long videos. They should really help monetize a space of our site that we haven't been yet.
  • We're also considering restructuring the pages so that we can cram more ads in there (without it looking bad--in fact, it'll look better). Basically, we're doing what we can with very limited resources (you can imagine if we're making .007 cents per page...) If you do what you can to bring US traffic, and to ensure pay-per-click and specific ads are clicked, we'll be in a better place.

That pretty much sums it up.

And yes, our homepage is a little cramped and silly. I like the idea of having a competition about that :-) I wonder what the prize should be?

Best,

Jake 

adp__
(Newbie)
11/06/07 07:21 AM
Re: Unfair earnings split [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thanks for the information! Very helpfull to get a picture of what's going on.

irishlostboy
(Journeyman)
11/06/07 08:01 AM
Re: Unfair earnings split [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

yay!! good clean info.

1. how about we all go and edit our files to ask "pretty please" to all who download our works, to click on an add banner, as it will help starving artists. (and us too)

2. what can be done to get international advertising business? surely its not the norm for only US stuff to get paid for? this is the interweb for bobs sake. where are the borders? i am sitting pretty (or not so) in ireland. i still see adverts. would be good to look into a way of earning from international users also. 

arqam
(Stranger)
11/06/07 08:04 AM

what about UK traffic?

irishlostboy
(Journeyman)
11/06/07 09:40 AM
Re: Unfair earnings split [re: arqam]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

i aint talking politics here, but at least geographically, the UK is not part of the USA.

gee, spot the irish coming out in me there Innocent

DreamWarrior
(Stranger)
11/06/07 10:13 AM

Thank you, Jake, for the explaination. It really helps, and I'm sure many of us are more than willing to do whatever in our power to make ShareCG grow. I for one like this place a lot, specially for the honesty of you PTB.

I'll try my best in those places you mentioned (StumbleUpon and Digg), so if you can think of any more places that will bring US members, please let us know so we can help.

Have you tried  this one? http://www.text-link-ads.com/

If there's anything we can do to take advantage of international members (I'm one of those as well), let us know too.

Thanks again!
Barb

Panthia
(Journeyman)
11/06/07 11:16 AM
Re: Unfair earnings split [re: DreamWarrior]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Ok....I need a tad bit of clarification here.....please......

When we talk about peeps outside the USA are we talking about people uploading content or people downloading, say psp tubes?  Or are we talking about people clicking on ads, not downloading and uploading?  I'm confused on this!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise