ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 121275 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | (show all)
dadchamp
(Member)
01/10/08 09:41 AM
Polling opinions Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am working on writing a book that will be available on Amazon.com covering the creation of character content for Poser. This will be aimed at the beginner and show you how to do it step by step using free software downloaded from the Internet. I would be interested in knowing how much interest there would be in a book like this. If this one is semi-successful I have plans for several others too.

--
I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

brainstew
(Stranger)
01/10/08 11:30 AM
Re: Polling opinions new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I think that's a splendid idea, especially if it's aimed at beginners. A well-structured, detailed book with step-by-step instructions on that subject would be highly appreciated by many. As far as I'm concerned, put me on your mailing list as your first customer. Laughing

dadchamp
(Member)
01/10/08 11:42 AM
Re: Polling opinions new [re: brainstew]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I figure since I've been creating Poser content for over 10 years it was about time I officially lent my voice to the 'How to do it" list. Making content hasn't made me wealthy, maybe writing a book will. LOL Ya right! Wink

--
I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

brainstew
(Stranger)
01/10/08 01:12 PM
Re: Polling opinions new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Yes, it is about time, given your experience! I really believe that anyone who is able to write a substantiated book on a subject like that for Poser is bound to be successful. Look at the popularity of "Practical Poser". Although there are many Poser communities and lots of tutorials, there is almost no literature, which is a bit of a surprise, considering the popularity of this software and the time it has been on the market.

I haven't worked with Poser a lot since I spend most of my time trying to get a grip on Cinema 4D. With regard to C4D, however, I've worked with professional learning material (DVDs and books) a lot, and I can't emphasize enough how important well-written learning material can be, and how much it has helped my learning curve. 

I think a book on Poser along the lines you are planning to write will definitely find an audience of more than just a few people. Just go for it, I'm sure it'll be well worth the effort and time it takes to release it!

By the way, has it ever occurred to you to release tutorial DVDs instead of a book? Saves the trouble of endless writing... and would be just as welcome, as far as I'm concerned...

dadchamp
(Member)
01/10/08 01:38 PM
Re: Polling opinions new [re: brainstew]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I'm also considering the DVD side of it too. In fact, I'm writing the book in first person inclusive (I and we) so that the reader get's the feeling I am there with them and we are working through the projects together. And, of course, I will provided an e-mail address for questions that come up and are not fully covered in the book. I have no plans on 'hiding' from people with questions. I absolutely hate training books that do that.  

--

Panthia
(Member)
01/10/08 03:42 PM

YES DEFINITELY!  Need it, want it.......

TheKeeper
(Stranger)
01/10/08 04:41 PM

Oh, my goodness! Finally! A person who understands! It's so frustrating to ask for help and be told that I need to spend a lot of money on an another piece of software--money I don't have. If there was instruction that said that I don't need to spend any more money beyond the cost of the book, itself, I'd be in heaven, indeed!

webwyvern
(Stranger)
01/10/08 05:07 PM
Re: Polling opinions [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Sounds like a great idea. Took me many years to learn character creation. I'm sure you will have a hungry audience.

If you need any ad space, let me know. I'll be happy to give you a spot in Art&Prose. That's exactly the kind of initiative we like to see and promote.

Don't let anything stand in your way!

WalkerofShadows
(Stranger)
01/10/08 05:31 PM
Re: Polling opinions [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Add me to the list who would definately buy, especially if there's any way you could cover things like rigging animals, which there's almost nothing available on.

dadchamp
(Member)
01/10/08 09:29 PM
Re: Polling opinions new [re: WalkerofShadows]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The first book covers the basic human form but a lot of that info is transferable to doing animals too. I'm planning on doing one strictly on animals later because there is so much variety in the way joints can be arranged in the world of creatures having 4, 6, 8, more, or no legs or arms. That would definately fall into the intermediate/advanced class of work and not the beginner. I would probably include an expanded version of my quadraped for Walk Designer info in that one too.

Oh, the title is: How'd you do that? Volume 1: Poser Character Creation for Beginners.

--

Pages in this thread: 1 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise