ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 118847 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | (show all)
onnetz
(Stranger)
02/02/08 12:10 AM
A joke new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thats what this site is quickly becoming. 

irishlostboy
(Journeyman)
02/02/08 06:24 AM
Re: A joke new [re: onnetz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

yes, its a shame really, isn't it? us as users, have been left out of the loop. we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, so we presume nothing.

i still hope sharecg can be resurected, like a phoenix, but the pesimistic realist in me says, every day it is less and less likely.

i am now giving thought to alternitive homes for my assets. 

http://irishlostboy.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://www.sharecg.com/pf/irishlostboy

brainstew
(Stranger)
02/02/08 09:22 AM
Re: A joke new [re: irishlostboy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I agree. At present, things don't look so good. The current standstill will probably make a lot of uploaders of good content look for hills where the grass is greener. However, losing uploaders who provide quality stuff will not exactly improve things either. It will defnitely contribute to the fact that a resurrection will become even less likely.

onnetz
(Stranger)
02/02/08 02:04 PM
Re: A joke new [re: irishlostboy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Yes it is a shame and I think the idea behind it is sound but a bit more effort to keep it going is required.  Its starting to look more and more like the whole thing was someones business 101 venture to make some easy money.

angelaandreoli
(Newbie)
02/06/08 07:25 PM
Re: A joke new [re: onnetz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

completely agree with you!!!!! and i noticed a whiiiile back that they are useing something called adsense from google. i dont know if anyone knows what that is but basicly it goes like this.....

make a page,blog,site or what have you and then google puts their adds on your pages.if anyone visits your place and clicks on one of the adds,the owner of the page gets paid.

i could be completely wrong here but i think thats why sharecg got started in the first place.and there are still new people joining the site thinking they will get paid for their freebies.that is false advertisment.

please no one get excited,im not sueing anyone.just pointing out what i noticed. and again if i am wrong feel free to decapatate me. i can handle it.

dadchamp
(Member)
02/06/08 08:39 PM
Re: A joke new [re: angelaandreoli]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Anyone can be a part of Google AdSense and make money. I'm a member and have it on several of my websites. The actual amount made off it is very small unless you have HUGE click thrus. In six months I have yet to make enough money off of Google to get a single payment from them. So I seriously doubt that SCG is making any kind of real money off of that. Their money was made off the real ads that were true page placements for direct paying companies. Ads you don't see anymore at the top of bottom such as the HP ads that were not Google. And others. I have a feeling their ad revenue has probably dropped to about nil from true paying advertisers. Google is probably enough to keep the servers online and that's it.

Also, look at the TOS ... revenue sharing was never guaranteed and could be suspended at any time. Nothing false in what they are doing. They are, unfortunately, a victim of the times we live in here in the USA. Times are tough ... and going to get a whole lot tougher. And in the end, the entire world will feel the squeeze. Right now, I'm just glad they still keep the servers up and offer a free place to post my items. If we loose that, then we truly have lost.

--
I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

angelaandreoli
(Newbie)
02/08/08 04:41 PM
Re: A joke [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

okie dokie i stand corrected. and thank you for correcting me without being a jerk.i thought i was goign to "yelled" at.lol i hope they stay as well.

jakehellerModerator
(Member)
02/25/08 11:04 AM

First, I would disagree with the idea that this website is becoming a "joke." Unsurprisingly, the quality of our content has increased dramatically after pulling the payment system.

Second, this was not a "business 101 idea to make a quick buck." We are in it for the long haul.  I'm going to admit something that the site has not been able to admit so far: we have lost an enormous amount on this website so far, both on hosting, in payouts, and wages we give our engineers. Yes, this is a business, but no, we didn't do it to rip someone off... we know that our success depends on people actually liking the things they find on thwe wbesite.

Third, we are still trying to build a comprehensive reform. Understand that this is incredibly difficult--almost as hard as building the website itself. It may take months. Just planning it has proved near impossible. We need to be a lot smarter in the design this time around, so that we can both pay our users without having the website be stampeded with crap.

Best,

Jake 

DavidJHanna
(Stranger)
02/25/08 01:06 PM
Re: A joke [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Although I don’t agree that this site has become a joke, I do agree that there is a lot of room for improvement. Most of the improvement will have to come from the users. Sharecg has nearly 10,000 registered users. If each user only posted one message per year (And that’s not much), we would be receiving about 30 messages a day. We are closer to 2 or 3. That’s about one message per decade.

If we want to revitalize the forums, we need to make them more user friendly. There are other forums I go to, where I like posting links to my work, posting comments to existing threads, and creating new threads. Everyone is supportive and friendly. I have noticed that some people here either get angry or hurt feelings quite easily, and the thread degrades to something I don’t want any part of very quickly. If I was afraid of being called an idiot or my work being called trash, I wouldn’t post anything here. If someone makes a comment, don’t call them an idiot or imply that their post is a waste of your time. Agree, disagree, or make a suggestion, but be polite. Make everyone, regardless of the skill level, feel welcome.

If we want the administrators to read our comments, and respond to them, it may not be a good idea to imply they are greedy, corrupt, incompetent, or apathetic. If ShareCG was easy to run, we would have a choice of over a dozen web sites where we could upload our content, and “Share the profits”. If I read a post that I believed was a character assassination against me, or a group I belonged to, I would take it personally. I would lose respect for the person who made the post, and not bother reading anything else they posted. If you disagree with a policy, State your opinion on the subject and encourage others to state their opinion too. If one person says that Bryce deserves its own section for content, ShareCG will probably ignore it. If 1,000 people have an opinion, and three quarters of them say that Bryce deserves its own section for content, then ShareCG will most likely add that section.

If you notice someone adding stuff to their portfolio that they don’t own the rights to, report them. When you download something, go back later and add a comment. If someone is loading a lot of little files (such as single texture tiles), send them a polite “Private Message”. If you have junk from years ago, that nobody downloads anymore, remove it. If you have any other suggestions on how we can work together to improve this site, post them.

Goldenthrush
(Newbie)
02/27/08 08:11 PM
Re: A joke [re: DavidJHanna]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I would likely be more active in this forum, myself, but the forum style is confusing to me.  I can't just reply to the thread, for instance, I end up replying directly to the post above mine -- and that can cause much bad juju, because that makes it look like I'm making a personal and directed attack on that person if I have something to say that isn't so good. 

PHP style is more to my liking.  I really also would like to be at least given a heads up every week or so that "Hay, we're working on this, haven't forgotten you guys!"  It's really creepy when the moderators/owners are this quiet.  I'm used to seeing a lot more presence.  Not necessarily interaction, which is nice, but presence.  

Pages in this thread: 1 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise