ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 18319 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Dyald
(Stranger)
03/16/08 08:33 PM
Download managers? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have free download manager and download them all for firefox. they both say that the files I get here have resume support., but I have never been able to resume a broken download. Do these programs work for any one else? or does Sharecg not have resume support?

DavidJHanna
(Newbie)
03/17/08 02:25 PM
Re: Download managers? new [re: Dyald]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello Dyland.

Yes, I have problems with uploading/downloading large files at ShareCG.Com.  You already know this, because we have discussed this at the Daz Forum, where I go by "IMDJH".  I cannot resume any download at ShareCG.  It doesn't matter if I use a download manager or not.  Most web sites moderators do not like download managers used at their site, so they make it difficult or impossible to use one.  Their main objection seems to be that it artificially inflates the bandwith used.  That is why I set the all of my maximum threads and connections to 1.  The bottleneck isn’t in the internet, but on my slow modem phone line. 

At this link, jalex417 explains that the server has been set by the engineers to time out after 45 minutes. http://www10.sharecg.com/wwwthreads-5.3/showflat.php?Cat=8,9,10,11,12&Board=suggestions&Number=70244&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&part=all&vc=1

They have no intention of increasing that limit. 

We only have two options, break the files into smaller chunks, or pretend that modems do not still exist.  I don’t like the second option.  It would be nice if we could put part1, part2, and part3 of a download all on the same view page.  There are plenty of free utilities to split and merge files, and they are very easy to write (I’ve already written one or two).  I would be willing to write one for ShareCG, for free, if they used it to allow all users to download large files in small chunks.

-David

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise