Technique Tips and Help
   >> Modeling
Thread views: 36751 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

StarLiteMoon
(Stranger)
12/14/09 06:47 PM
Creating Models For Upload Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello talented creators. Not sure if this is the right area. I've never posted here before. Here's my question. I just purchased a few items from Daz Studios and I would like to give back something to everyone who have been so generous.

My question is, how do I create uploads for ShareCG. I know that they have to be .obj format but how do I do that. Ok, let's say I have a table that I want to upload for everyone to download, how do I go about making it. Sorry but I'm not very good at explaining things. I hope I'm not confusing everyone. Thank you

pauljs75
(Stranger)
01/21/10 05:19 AM
Re: Creating Models For Upload new [re: StarLiteMoon]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I think this may reveal the answer.

http://tinyurl.com/y8dvp3d

Personally? I prefer Wings3D (http://www.wings3d.com) for ease of use and most modeling purposes.

NerdBird
(Stranger)
03/15/10 01:35 AM
Re: Creating Models For Upload new [re: pauljs75]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

There are a lot of modeling applications out there. Some are free, some are inexpensive, and some cost more than a used car (and some cost more than a new car).

For free, Blender , is one of the best programs out there, but for many it's interface is a PITA. However, they just released a new version.

Wings3d is nice. Some people swear by Truespace. And all three of the above are free.

Peguses is a simple modeling program that is designed to model Poser/DAZ models and is under $100. I'm not sure that it gives you anything more than Wings.

I call anything below $1,000 inexpensive, just to have a price point. I really like Modo as a modeling program, but it lacks character animation.

There is also Z-Brush, but that is a very different sort of modeling/sculpting application and is nice in it's own way.

Other modeling programs are Shade and Hexagon.

Most of the others that you hear of, like the Autodesk products (Maya and 3ds Studio) cost over $3,000 so I haven't even tried them.

I would suggest that you start with a simple and free modeling application and learn with that. Then if you find you like it, you can better decide how much money you want to invest in 3d modeling. Trust me, you can spend quite a bit without realizing it.

My recomendation would be to start with Blender because it is free and it has a lot of tutorials easily available. I wish that I had done so before spending money on other programs because I'm coming full circle back to Blender.

You can find more information about modeling applications on the forums of Renderosity and DAZ.

Good luck and have fun!

Cyberwoman
(Stranger)
04/04/10 12:54 PM
Re: Creating Models For Upload new [re: StarLiteMoon]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

From your question, it seems to me like you've already made a 3D model, and you're looking for instructions on how to upload it to ShareCG. Is that correct?

If that's the case, then for a Poser upload you'll need to create a series of folders. (I don't know how DAZ Studio works, I'm sorry.) It should follow the structure of the folders in Poser's runtime, but contain no files except the ones for your model. For example, the folder structure for my last upload looks like this (each folder is inside the previous one):

Runtime, Libraries, Character, Cyberwoman, G2F_WorkoutWear

and the actual files are in the "G2F_WorkoutWear" folder. When the content is installed, the new items (in this case a couple items of clothing) will be under the "Figure" catagory, in a folder labeled "Cyberwoman" and a subfolder labeled "G2F_WorkoutWear". Does that make sense? Stick a .txt readme in with the folders--I always put it in another folder that also contains the "Runtime" folder--and send the entire bundle to a zip folder. Then you can upload it to ShareCG.

If you're not making content specifically for Poser, I think you can put the .obj file and any associated files (say, texture maps or something like that) in a zip file and upload it to ShareCG's 3D Models section. I'm not certain, though, since so far I've only done Poser stuff. Perhaps you could private message someone who uploads to the 3D Models section frequently and ask how they do it.

If you're looking for recommendations for modeling programs, I model everything in Wings 3D. It takes a little getting used to (what program doesn't?) but I think it works really well if you're willing to experiment with it. I have one tutorial on ShareCG and I'm hoping to make more, but in the mean time I'm always willing to answer questions Smile

Gerwynt
(Stranger)
04/15/10 08:57 AM

I use daz studio 3 advanced and I understand the feelings of confusion.  The, where did that rascally program put the obj files, and why can't I find the texture maps.  My computer is windows 7, however, I have used windows xp before, so I will try to include information on both.  I can't claim to be an expert at this, but I will try my best.  So, here we go... I'm sure you noticed that the files from Daz programs tend to be scattered willy nilly.  And you probably also noticed that the program doesn't make things easy.
In order to make the files you will need a few important free plugins, the prop exporter, found at http://puzzlekiraly.hu/lom
   , this plugin allows you to save as an obj file, you will also need the daz studio 3 script development kit, I'm assuming you at least have the free version of daz 3, it won't work on daz 2, you can get that for free here http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=9548 at the daz store, this kit makes it possible to utilize 3rd party programming scripts, it's a must for any true daz fan.  there are other optional plugins, however, let's stick to the necessities for now.  You said you made a table in Daz, very nice.  So now what, the first thing you will want to do is create a blank file folder system, I made it up, so don't try searching for it.  This will consist of a few important empty folders.  Go to my documents, add a new folder and name it works in progress.
Open this folder and add another named Runtime.
Then, open runtime and add three more folders in it so that the screen shows three folders at once.  Name the folders " Geometries " " textures " and " libraries " open libraries and add a new folder inside it called props.  these folders you just made will be very useful in the future.
go back to the "works in progress" folder.  Create a new folder called table.  Copy runtime, open the table folder, paste runtime open runtime. Now, enter the geometries folder, and add a new folder called table. 

Gerwynt
(Stranger)
04/15/10 08:58 AM
Re: Creating Models For Upload new [re: Gerwynt]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

continued post...

go back to runtime, open  the texture folder, add another new folder called table, now go back to runtime again, open the libraries folder, open props, add a new folder called table.
so far you have gotten the file system for your table started.

Gerwynt
(Stranger)
04/15/10 09:08 AM
Re: Creating Models For Upload new [re: Gerwynt]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Now you need to gather together the actual files.  after you've installed the daz script kit, open the daz scene with your table in it. Click on view, then interface layout, then select layout, choose progressive as progressive is the one I will be using.  Click apply and accept.  Now enter the skin tab.  now you need to gather together the texture files.  I'll post some more instructions shortly

dyraven
(Stranger)
07/20/10 12:14 AM

Hi StarLiteMoon,

I have a tutorial on my website for helping create compatible zip files for your products. I am sure this will help you.

http://www.krown-products.net/meshworks/Projects/Tutorials/CompatibleZips.html

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise