Technique Tips and Help
   >> Modeling
Thread views: 56663 *View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Meechy
(Stranger)
09/19/07 12:50 PM
Creating coils for medical office new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am working on creating an exam room of my doctors office. I need to make the coiled cords for the Otoscope and blood pressure equipment like in the image, click to enlarge.

I have tried various ways, but none come close to looking like the actual coil.

Thanks for any help

Metryx.

irishlostboy
(Newbie)
09/20/07 05:58 AM
Re: Creating coils for medical office new [re: Meechy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

try drawing the coils with an editable spline, and extruding a polygon along the spline.

another option is;make a cylinder, then cut diagonally down the cylinder around and around a load of times.then select the lines that wrap around down the model, chamfer and inset the new polygons.

hope this quick description helps.

i using max by the way 

dadchamp
(Journeyman)
09/20/07 08:05 PM
Re: Creating coils for medical office new [re: Meechy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

My first question is does it have to be animated or is it a static model? If static you could probably model it as a tube in the loop position and create the coils along the tube using a texture map.

I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

harrgunn
(Stranger)
10/01/07 03:51 PM
Re: Creating coils for medical office new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Did this with max real fast using helix and then applied a bend to it.

irishlostboy
(Newbie)
10/02/07 12:08 PM
Re: Creating coils for medical office new [re: harrgunn]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

well done harrgunn. looks good.

harrgunn
(Stranger)
10/02/07 03:05 PM
Re: Creating coils for medical office new [re: irishlostboy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

It falls a bit short with just the bend, but I'll play a bit with this tonight for something to do.   Spent my time doing this while watching Jepardy and still got some answers right.    Here I created three seperate helix, (what is the plural for helix?)  Gave each a bend, then cut and to length, fit and attached them together.    It's not exactly like the image of the med equipment, but with some tweaking would think the bends could match the photo.

I'm sure there is a better way,  but without knowing what software your running just sticking to basics.

Edited by harrgunn on 10/02/07 04:23 PM.

harrgunn
(Stranger)
10/03/07 03:17 AM
Re: Creating coils for medical office [re: harrgunn]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Went back to 3ds max and did some path deforms with great results and little trouble. If you'd like the .obj's on these let me know if it will help you.

jalex417Moderator
(Journeyman)
10/03/07 11:33 AM
Re: Creating coils for medical office new [re: harrgunn]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Any one open to the possibility of writing a short tutorial about this and posting it in the tutorials section?  Seems that a lot of people would be interested and would benefit.  Just an idea ...

*View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise