Application Specific
   >> Poser
Thread views: 40769 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Arah018
(Stranger)
05/11/10 01:04 PM
Conforming Clothing Problem new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am rather new to poser, but i've been able to find my way around a little. i use it for the business  of  conforming clothing that i've created in Hex for DazStudio. however i came across a problem. the sleeve seam of the shirt/dress, when the arm is moved, pulls apart in a jagged brake. i don't really have any idea what the problem is, or how to fix it. can anyone please help me in a way that a poser neophyte could understand? Undecided

Cyberwoman
(Stranger)
05/13/10 12:00 PM
Re: Conforming Clothing Problem new [re: Arah018]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot so we can see exactly what's happening?

Just off the top of my head, it sounds like there might be a rigging error. Since you're rigging clothing, you probably know that you have to make body parts in the clothing that match the body parts of the figure who is going to wear it. The body parts are parented to each other, for example:

Right and Left Shoulders are parented to their respective collars, which are both parented to the Chest, which is parented to the Waist, which is parented to the Abdomen, which is parented to the Hips.

In Poser at least, two body parts cannot touch each other unless one is directly parented to each other. Here is a quick drawing I did to clarify:

In this drawing, red represents the Hips, blue represents the Waist, purple represents the Abdomen, yellow represents the Chest, green represents the two collars (right and left), and pink represents the two shoulders.

The shirt on the left is rigged properly. Notice how no two body parts touch unless one is directly parented to the other? The shirt on the right is not rigged properly; the Shoulders touch the Chest (circled in red), but the Shoulders aren't parented to the Chest, they're parented to the Collar. This shirt will "tear" along the joins between the Shoulders and the Chest.

Does that help? If you need more clarification, just ask Smile

Arah018
(Stranger)
05/15/10 09:05 AM
Re: Conforming Clothing Problem new [re: Cyberwoman]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

hm. ok i think i see that looks like my problem. so how do i re-parent the parts?

Edited by Arah018 on 05/15/10 09:07 AM.

Cyberwoman
(Stranger)
05/16/10 09:42 AM
Re: Conforming Clothing Problem new [re: Arah018]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You don't re-parent the parts, you change which polygons are in them. In the Poser Setup Room, each part of the figure's skeleton (conforming clothing is a figure) has an associated group of polygons with it. The groups need to be arranged so that no body parts touch unless one is directly parented to the other. Here's an illustration:

The lines represent polygons, and the yellow, green, and pink areas represent body part groups like they did in my last illustration. The gray polygons can either be added to the collar group (green) or the shoulder group (pink). If they're added to the collar, then the shoulder will only touch the collar, which touches the shoulder (parented to it) and the chest (the collar's parent). Everything should work fine. If the gray polygons are added to the shoulder, then the shoulder will touch the chest, and the shirt will probably "tear" when the figure moves. Does that help?

Arah018
(Stranger)
05/16/10 01:18 PM
Re: Conforming Clothing Problem new [re: Cyberwoman]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Ok i think i got it. so could you explain how, using poser i could fix it? because i really have no clue what i'm doing. and i'm sorry to be so much trouble with this.Undecided

Cyberwoman
(Stranger)
05/23/10 11:34 AM
Re: Conforming Clothing Problem [re: Arah018]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Not a problem--I'm happy to help Smile

For this illustration I'm making a rigged catsuit for Sydney G2 with the QuickSuit (available from www.morphography.uk.vu). I open the QuickSuit file in Poser and go into the Setup Room. After I've loaded Sydney's bone structure and used the auto-grouping function, I get this:

The highlighted section is the collar group. See how the shoulder and chest group are touching (circled in red)? This arrangement will make the sleeve "tear" away from the bodice when the arm is moved. To fix it, I need to arrange the groups so that the collar comes between the chest and shoulder. I open the Grouping tool, select the collar group, and select the add polygons tool (plus sign icon):

When I click on a polygon with the add polygons tool, the polygon will be removed from whatever group it was in and added to the currently selected group (the collar in this case). There is also a remove polygons tool, which removes whatever polygons you clicked on from the selected group. I don't like to use it, though, because it doesn't add the polygons to a different groupĀ and I find it hard to remember all the polygons I removed. Usually when I mess around with the remove tool I end up forgetting to add the removed polygons to a different group, and polygons with no group cause problems. It's best to just add polygons to the group you want them to be in, rather than removing them from the groups you don't want them in.

You want to make the groups in the clothing polygons shaped as much like the groups in the base figure as possible. For this project, the collar group ends up looking like this:

Does that help? Just let me know if you need more clarification!

Also, if you're planning to make a lot of clothes you might want to invest in a Poser plugin such as the OBJ2CR2 from www.philc.net. It does all the dirty work of making conforming clothes, and I recommend it to anyone who's doing lots of conforming clothing. While it is completely possible to do conforming clothes by hand with the process I just described (it's how I made all of my first clothing items), the plugin speeds up the process greatly.

Arah018
(Stranger)
05/23/10 01:25 PM

Thank you Very much! i tried it, and it worked! Thanks you!!!!!!!

Cyberwoman
(Stranger)
05/23/10 04:00 PM

I'm glad it's working for you! Smile

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise