Application Specific
   >> Poser
Thread views: 35687 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

DavidJHanna
(Stranger)
02/18/08 08:36 AM
NewSkin 1.3 Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello everyone.
I recently released NewSkin 1.3 on ShareCG, and I could use a couple beta testers.  I’m not looking for a couple hundred hits as members look at it.  I just want some honest opinions and constructive criticism.  I would prefer if one volunteer had already installed version 1.2, so he or she can test the Upgrade download, while the other person tests the Full Install download.  My main concerns (in no particular order) are:
  1) Are there any bugs I missed?
  2) Is the program so easy to use that documentation is not needed?
  3) Is the documentation helpful and easy to understand?
  4) Do the installs work properly?
  5) Is the screen size too big or small?
  6) What am I missing? (Files, features, explanation, etc…)

There are already two problems I realized after I uploaded, but it takes an hour to upload both files, so I will fix them now, but upload later.  The Full Install is about 5 megabytes, and the upgrade is a little over 1 megabyte, but I have a slow modem connection.

The problems I have already identified are:
  1) I need to add “Special Thanks” section in documentation.
  2) I need to add text to the “File Association” screen.  Currently you have to look at the documentation tofigure it out.

Thank you for your help.

Description of file:
Newskin Version 1.3 is a small simple utility to change textures in Poser files.
Although NewSkin was created for Pose files, it also works with other Poser file types.
(*.pp2, *.pz2, *.pz3, *.cr2, *.hr2, *.mt5, *.mc6)
With the new Package feature, NewSkin can package all the files needed to use your new Poser file into one PKZip compatible file.  You can also choose to omit specific files, such as object files (*.obj) to avoid copyright infringement.  You can add additional files to your package, such as documentation, and even add your files to an existing zip file to create a package of related files.  You could package a prop or character, with a selection of MAT poses and all the textures required. 

DavidJHanna
(Stranger)
02/18/08 03:44 PM
Re: NewSkin 1.3 new [re: DavidJHanna]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I just uploaded the programs again. I fixed the File Association interface. The File Association was working, but the text on the screen was confusing.

With my slow modem, it took nearly two hours to upload the 5.4 megabyte file.  That is because each attempt of the full install to half an hour, and it took three attempts to upload.

-David

janimatrix
(Stranger)
02/23/08 03:55 PM
Re: NewSkin 1.3 new [re: DavidJHanna]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

david--i've been using your little program & really like it.  it's dead easy to use.  to be honest the path-correction is to me its most valuable feature, specially as i do LOTS of matposes & mc6's.  i do wish it'd do path-correction for object files in cr2 or pps, but i can keep doing those by hand.   i'm using the 58kb version--am on a 21.6-at-best connection myself so i sympathize!!--but when i can i plan to snag the new upload & check out the new features.  thanks for writing this little utility!!  -jan-

DavidJHanna
(Stranger)
02/23/08 05:54 PM
Re: NewSkin 1.3 new [re: janimatrix]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello janimatrix

I want to keep NewSkin as easy to use as possible, so I need to be careful how I add new features.  For The next version I've added the ability to replace a current texture with NO_MAP.  Which type of path correction were you looking for?  The method that would affect the user the least, would be if the program automatically used the ":Runtime:..." path when saving a file.  If you want to be able to find and replace the call to an object file (changing file name and/or path), I will have to think about how I could add that feature without confusing novice users.  I will look into the simpler method for now, it should be very easy to add to the program.

-David

DavidJHanna
(Newbie)
03/05/08 02:38 PM

Hello everyone.
    I am getting close to releasing Newskin version 1.4, but I could still use a couple beta testers.  The new features include “Search”, “Reset”, and “NO_MAP” for the new image selection.  The “Reset” feature resets the New Image back to the Original Image value.  The “NO_MAP” feature sets the New Image to NO_MAP, so that no image is used.  The “Search” feature allows you to search your Poser directories for files based on a partial file or path name.  I have also added a feature that allows you to reset your Poser Runtime path, which comes in handy if you are used to using several Runtimes.  For debugging purposes (And also verifying that NewSkin can handle difficult files) I added a “View Log” feature.  When NewSkin opens a template, or saves a file, it will generate a log file of the original line of code from the template, and the modified line.  I this includes the “New Image”, object files, and other files referenced by the template.
If you are interested in helping me remove the bugs from the file, while getting a sneak preview of these new features, please let me know.
                              -David.

DavidJHanna
(Newbie)
04/06/08 08:48 PM

Hello everyone.

It’s Finally Here!  NewSkin Version 1.4 has been released and is ready to download for free.  Now you can change the textures files in your Poser files, correct or replace texture file references, and then package those files to share, with one simple utility.

The new version has several new feature.  “NO_MAP” allows you to assign a texture to NO_MAP.  This is useful if you no longer need a texture, such as a TransMap pr BumpMap.  “Reset” sets the New Image file reference back to the Original Image File reference.  “Search” allows you to search for all files based on a portion of the file name.  “Auto Fix” allows the program to try to find the correct path of all invalid New Image files references.  “Group Repair” allows the program to attempt to repair all file references in all Poser files in a given directory, and its subdirectories.  These new features make repairing Poser files with invalid image paths easier than ever.  The program replaces all forward slashes (“/”) with back slashes (“\”).  If you computer uses forward slashes instead of back slashes, please let me know.  I can make a second version of the program that changes back slashes to forward slashes.

If you are already running NewSkin 1.3, you can download the Upgrade to 1.4 (Less Than 1 Megabyte) at:
http://www.sharecg.com/v/22948/software-and-tools/NewSkin1-Upgrade---A-Simple-MAT-Pose-Cloner

Otherwise you will have to download the Full Install (Over 5 megabytes) at:
http://www.sharecg.com/v/23335/software-and-tools/NewSkin1-Full-Install---A-Simple-MAT-Pose-Clone

-David

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise