ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 51631 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | (show all)
anoyance
(Stranger)
12/03/10 01:06 AM
revenue sharing Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You have recently canceled the revenue sharing for the site for reasons of low quality content and spam. Rather than linking the revenue solely to hits on a page, you could link it to dowloads or rating. This would premote the content that we could all use. With this more useful content we can in turn make better models using this content and better overall final products. This would only be a good solution for the models and maybe textures posted on the site. In order to make things like videos or pictures more valuable, they could be linked to the content that was placed in the video or picture, thus premoting the downloading of that content through the final work of the user. If content was used from another user this would also help that user to gain greater revenue. Thank you for the great site and your willingness to actually help those users that fill the site.

-CM

Greybeard
(Stranger)
12/03/10 09:25 AM
Re: revenue sharing *DELETED* new [re: anoyance]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Post deleted by ibsystems

blackdragon33
(Stranger)
12/03/10 11:16 AM
Re: revenue sharing new [re: Greybeard]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Wow already with the negativity that money sharing has created. well i guess sooner than later.

Well I see some problems if you go to that format of either downloads or ratings.

1. Ratings can be lowered by fake accounts, I have seen this happen with ratings, where you get someone going in rating theirs high, and others low, out of malice or greed, so that would be insane to do, on the fact that someone can post in their links rate with 5 stars if you visit, and most would, so that would eliminate any benefits in that category.

2. Downloads, Not everyone sees the same perception, what is gold to one is crap to another. With this shade of gray in perspective, it would only benefit those in the buisness and limits amatuer freebie makers greatly with that in perspective. When it comes to multitudes of people and someone says one is right and the other is wrong, it just creates a mess of fighting and bickering amongst each other. Where you say quality, that might be the person's best skill, and by saying it is crap might stop the individual from learning more, and creating "gold" in the future, everyones actions spawn forth new paths, and by condemming one, you might be condemming someone's future. Everyone begins somewhere, and i am sure those who are in the elite now, where at the point of creating "crap" in their beginnings.

As for Revenue, you all can argue about this needs to be done, that is right or wrong, till your blue in the face it don't change the fact that there will be people who can't view outside the box, or those that are so far from the box it is invisible to them. There is gonna be arguing no matter what you do where money is involved because of the nature of greed in the first place. Sharecg does not have to offer this boon, but does, it is a great sentiment, and incenative to do so, but with the way people are, it can only go good if the community bands together instead of rip it to shreds. If I remember correctly that is how last time it failed and was cancelled.

Another thing that most people in the buisness aspects forgets once they become a well know source, I have seen this via Renderosity, and Daz, is that they forget that they were once a starting project. As we see in stores such as Rendo, they get a huge split from the artists work, in their favor, if it wasn't for the artists their site would still be that starting level project, if it could even survive it's economical costs to stay afloat, I have seen too many artists just give up cause there is really no money to be made in doing it, and most either have "special relations" or under the illusion of granduer while working for these sites as consignment artists, the point being if it wasn't for us, there would be no need for the site, period, and most of us are amatuer artists, that term hobbyist which most shutter cause they aren't in that Pixar bracket of spending beaucoup bucks for stuff. Honestly I am sick of hearing that assumption, from people. Revenue sharing is great idea, but honestly with this ideals, who does it benefit? The corperate lackeys, or content sellers who has access to awe inspiring things, or those who work their hinds off using limited resources and sharing it with the world. Please clarify that for me.

Also i have noticed someone can keep downloading on their page, to get their downloads up, so that might not be a good avenue to go down.

Greybeard
(Stranger)
12/03/10 01:39 PM
Re: revenue sharing new [re: Greybeard]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The post above with my username DID NOT originate from me!  I have no idea who it was, but is NOT from me!

Rich.  AKA Greybeard

anoyance
(Stranger)
12/06/10 12:34 AM
Re: revenue sharing new [re: blackdragon33]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am sorry that you don't like my ideas for the revenue sharing. I am not sure if you read the post that money sharing is now canceled after this month due to poor posts on the site. If you haven't read it I would hope that you do before you post again. I would point out a few things though. ShareCG was making a gesture that they would like to not just keep all the money themselves, but share it with us. Their initial good intentions were foiled by spammers. I was simply giving some ideas as to how it could still work. Now in defense of my suggestion:

Downloads seems to me to be the safest. With careful programming, one could monitor what computers download the files posted on the site and only count 1 download per computer. You mentioned that this doesn't help those who have poorer quality uploads or just different taste. I would point out the name of the site: ShareCG. We are here to share our work with others. If its not getting shared then the site might as well pack up and leave. Not only that, but it would solve the problem we are currently having of poor quality spam in attempt to get a buck. Right now we stand in the same position either way: The site stops revenue sharing altogether because of poor quality uploads (aka the beginners and 'different taste' users make nothing) or its linked to ratings or downloads (aka the beginners and 'different taste' users make nothing.) You also mentioned ratings being tainted by multiple accounts. I have not seen this happen on other sites. Usual anti-bot measures are taken to prevent this from happening. If someone would like to sit down and create accounts for hours just to get a dollar or two, go for it, but I think you'd be better off just getting a job. You said this would discourage many artists from the field. I disagree. This is an incentive for creating something useful and beautiful. This industry will never get anywhere if we don't try for these values. This web site won't gain in popularity and users if the posts on it are not what other people want. I will be one of the first to tell you that I will leave if this site doesn't get better art than it has been getting lately. Downloads or ratings would compel me to try a little harder. Not only that but I think the people who spend a long time getting better and making things that I can use DO deserve more. I wouldn't mind making $0 if it meant that the site had good, high-quality models and art for me to use.

Overall, I have given my suggestions a reasonable amount of thought and they seem fairly solid. The only way you could actually sway me on the matter is presenting a better solution, not by tearing down the only ones we have up.

blackdragon33
(Stranger)
12/06/10 05:52 AM
Re: revenue sharing new [re: anoyance]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Anoyance,

First really read through my post, I offered only my insight as to how that would be a bad idea to just go off of ratings and downloads, and gave logical reasons as to why, which I have seen on the site happen. Do not take my assertiveness as an attack, it simply isn't. The post only stated as such, go off of downloads so yeah I chimed in to add perseption to that avenue.

As for the special tastes, beginners not making any revenue for uploads, that would defy the announcement of it pays to share in the first place, cause that would be saying you have to be a certain level to participate, why offer it to all if it would be like this, why not just paste a big banner that says offers revenue to those who can make "good" quality content, and give a long list of acceptable formats. To all others who post stuff here that aint in that format your not good enough, cause that would be what it says. And sorry but anyone tells me I aint good enough for anything, will receive a great blow, because I know that I am, and I have enough under my belt to prove it, even though I march to a different beat of the drum as to say.

If you are looking for exceptional 3d content that has earned another sites approval very rarely you will find it here in the freebie section, it is on another site making bank for that site. If that is your quality of good that you speak of. Very rarely do you see a cg maker put up something exceptional for free, unless it is a sales pitch to get more buys for their other offered products, or is rejected by other 3d sites. But the world does usually "revolve" around money so it is no wonder why that is so. It is great that Sharecg offers up this place to store freebies, or showcase work, but until other 3d sites stop accepting great quality content, or a commet is gonna hit the earth here you go folks happens I don't really see alot of the "quality" you are hoping for. The most activity I see here is either the promotions for a product or someone makes something for there use, and decided to offer it to the rest of the world, as a nice gesture. TBC...

blackdragon33
(Stranger)
12/06/10 05:55 AM
Re: revenue sharing new [re: blackdragon33]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Now you said I was tearing you down, NOPE, I stated things that i saw as a problem that ellaborated fully what I have seen, experianced here. I only offered that insight. And by doing so with my other words about the special tastes, and beginners are valid words of thought, that need to be looked at instead of someone saying that they should be nixxed all together, honestly how owuld you like it if you were offered something then told you can't have it cause you are inadequite? Yeah it is only for pocket change, but what would that do to the psyche of yourself? Try harder, most would say f you and go on, finding other avenues to venture down. and whose to say that a person who creates crap now in the future can't create the most sought after, profound art piece ever in human exsistance, take picaso and Divinchi for instance, look at their legacy left behind, and I am sure they were met with this kind of responce from many until they became the chosen inventors to model forth greater acheivments. Whose to say that can't happen again, you never know. And that the begiinings were here creating stupid primitive 3d things which made people bitter cause it was cutting in on their revenue. That is the funny thing about it all it is so profound in general, and in plain sight, but noone realizes it. enough said on that topic.

You and I are only one of the whole, you want to see it I am taking for the money aspects, I just don't really care either way, I stayed after all those got butthurt over the sharing being dropped, got kewl content for my art, and now within the past year have been able to give back to the community. It is a boon, but i aint gonna kill myself in labor for a few dollars, but i will however go out of my way to offer some content that is in demand, and i am capable of making it, just because i hate seeing people ripped off, or left with you have to follow me to get something good, and by following me you have to pay dearly, I aint about that. I like the program basically cause it offers back to the community, where other sites just rip off their artists that make them their money. Really that is the only reason I like the program, because it takes a lot of balls to go againsts standards set by the whole. Yeah people use and abuse the system, but they are gonna do anything, no matter what. And whose to say the crap artist you are comming down is using this as a means to get some revenue mixed with other sources to keep themselves or their family fed to some degree. Ya never know. Artists do have the greatest insight cause it is their minds which allows them to travel outside of themselves bring a view into perspective, and make it reality, in todays world the artist is least regarded, and least paid, and they are the ones who create the world, by saying what you have about beginners is only limiting the world view because you truely never know what path it is going to take. Ever hear the term starving artist.

blackdragon33
(Stranger)
12/06/10 05:56 AM

Also as to pertain to the spamming. In what sense or we talking about spamming here. It states for you to broadcast on your sites, social media, and what have you. If it is from other sites that aren't owned by yourself I can see a spam problem, but not if that site has a freebie post section. So there I am iffy on that, cause that all falls into the if your allowed go for it, when stepping into their domain. As for your own sites, if a viewer is set off by that then a simple ignore, or delete friend would be sufficent enought to rid that kind of behaviour, I have seen many company sites that have great disscussions hidden only for viewers to have to jump hoops to get to the topic, but offer no stop spamming marketing in their social media to the point I just delete myself to avoid seeing it instead of conversations from other artists that have a valid point to it. So what definition of spam are we talking about. On this site, or others.

One final word I might add, I do come across as being very hostile, but I assure you it aint my intent, i only offered my views, and gave my logic behind them based on experiance or have seen. Trust me if i was in attack mode you would definately know it, and honestly i aint going into attack mode over a few dollars a month or over money in general i have better things to spend my energy on that mean more to me than a revenue program, as i stated I like the program cause it offers to all where other sites don't care about any thing but the money. But i do get kinda miffed when someone sets a limit on what is acceptable and what isn't, who can have, and who can have not, based on those limits, to me that is absurd, and the mentallity that holds back progress.

blackdragon33
(Stranger)
12/06/10 06:05 AM

Also i might add that you look at the date of the sharing cancelled post is written in 08, or 2010, cause i looked at the site again in forum posts and this is the only 1 that stands out

in news and announcements, if it is that post then it is defunct since it was speaking of the last  revenue sharing campeign.

jalex417Moderator
(Member)
12/07/10 04:26 PM
Re: revenue sharing [re: anoyance]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thank you for your suggestions.  I especially like the idea of linking revenue to downloads/ratings and we'll meet to understand the ramifications of this direction and if there is a way to work these metrics into the system.

If we decide to move forward on any of these fronts we'll let users know here.

Thanks again!

Pages in this thread: 1 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise