ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 20803 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

3dgreg
(Stranger)
02/12/12 08:11 AM
Model Contest Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Been a long time, but I'm back! Hey, how about a weekly 3-D modeling contest? Each week a new idea is given, everyone submits just one model,  everyone votes for their favorite. Models can be in any program format. It's also a great way to get more practice, even when you're not feeling creative. Only issue would be the pro companies that seem to be all over the site now. Oh well, bring it on!

El_Lee
(Stranger)
02/14/12 02:08 PM
Re: Model Contest new [re: 3dgreg]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I like that idea. I agree it would be great practice.

3dgreg
(Stranger)
02/14/12 03:22 PM
Re: Model Contest new [re: El_Lee]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

If we can get a few others involved, we could just go for it ourselves. Another idea, is a 3-D modeling war. You start a model, then send it to someone else to add to it. They send it back, etc. 3 rounds and you'd have a pretty cool model. Be interesting to see what they come up with.

But first, can we drag a few more people into the model contest? Any takers?

TheOwl68
(Stranger)
02/15/12 06:24 AM
Re: Model Contest new [re: 3dgreg]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I'd be interested in a weekly model contest, although I'm an ultra-newbie at modelling myself. It sounds like a cool idea to me~

TrevMusic
(Stranger)
05/03/12 11:39 AM
Re: Model Contest new [re: TheOwl68]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

It's a shame that we can't figure out a way to do this as it appears the hosts don't seem too bothered. (see if that gets edited)

I think to keep it simple we could set out a few basic rules, for example;

• All models offered as obj & mtl files as well as whatever program specific format (i.e. 3ds etc). So others can at least tweak or build add ons for a given mesh. (i.e for the 'battle' or collaborative type)

• A limit of say 5 materials, 5k polygons (give or take) and no larger than 100kb

• After closing date, voting for a limited period after which winner is selected. 

• 'Winner' suggests a next topic.

• Maybe fortnightly to allow hobbiests and those with family a little more time.

First suggestion ~ swords. Any era, any shape (light sabers qualify)

Alternatively, we could take a broader theme over a longer time and put a suggestion box together with a dozen related items for example;

Combat;

Sword/Sheild/Helmet/Dagger/Club/Bracer/....

You get the idea.

Well thats my 10 penneth worth

Laughing

jalex417Moderator
(Member)
05/15/12 05:07 PM
Re: Model Contest new [re: TrevMusic]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Sorry for not seeing this thread before, but I think this is a great idea and would really help bring the community closer together.  I'm going to see what it will take to facilitate this and then run my thought by you guys to get feed back before launching.  Thank you everyone!!

jalex417Moderator
(Member)
05/18/12 02:59 PM
Re: Model Contest new [re: jalex417]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I just got a demo version of GoToMeeting.  If you live in the States we can video conference together about the Model Contest.  Devil's in the details when you do things like this and I want to get all the input and advice as possible so this really works for everyone.  I'm tentatively scheduling this virtual meeting for next Friday, May 25th at 10 AM PDT. (We're located in California.)  If you'd like to attend this video conference please let me know by sending an email to me at david.heller at sharecg.com.  I'll respond to you with instructions etc. and I look forward to virtually meeting you next Friday!

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise