ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 56060 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | (show all)
LadySythe
(Stranger)
09/24/12 06:35 PM
Sharecg changing to subscription format? new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Earlier today, many of us recieved an email from David Heller, President of this website. He stated that sharecg isn't looking good finance-wise and starting to go belly up due lack of funds coming from the ads. Hence they are considering switching to subscription accounts that won't have any ads, and would have added features. This decision I can understand, if I step into Mr. Heller's shoes. One must feed the machine somehow.

Personally, as an unemployed artist who is always looking for and to share Poser freebies, I can't afford the $10 a year fee (when I don't even have a penny left over every month to scrap together). I honestly don't mind the ads. I haunt many a site and forum with ads all over them.

If they could come up with a system like, well, Renderosity.com, Renderotica.com and many other sites that have VIP accounts that offer awesome perks and such and leave free accounts with the ads (to also help pay the bills), limited storage space, etc for those of us who can't afford it, that would be cool.

Soooooooooooooo.... I'm wondering what everyone else has to say about this. What do you, the users of sharecg think?

LadySythe

mysticeagle
(Stranger)
09/25/12 02:47 AM
Re: Sharecg changing to subscription format? new [re: LadySythe]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

in all honesty, i refuse to pay to give stuff away. Google sites are free as are a lot of other sites. If sharecg decide to charge, i wont be staying.

Josea
(Newbie)
09/25/12 09:39 AM
Re: Sharecg changing to subscription format? [re: LadySythe]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I'm not too pleased with this development. I too am unemployed. My access to the Internet is though the public library where I live which offer free use of computers.

Times are hard right now. There are other places I can upload and download freebies from that I know of but I like this site the way it is.

One question; would they let us login long enough to remove our stuff before they require payment? I don't have much right now but would like to keep what I have for as long as this site is free.

nergal83
(Stranger)
09/25/12 02:25 PM
Re: Sharecg changing to subscription format? new [re: Josea]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

$10 for one year it is not excessive, but I understands the hesitation of my small companions, time is hard, me even not being rolling in money, now rest has knowledge that they will be exactly the modalities of this subscription and the advantages for the subscribers, there will be always free objects? I have some of it on your site and it would annoy me to see them disappear, the sharing being the soul of this site, for the paying objects I suppose that you take a commision?
The problem is there: make of this site an only paying place at the risk of losing many regular customers, or making a subscription only for the sellers by leaving the free access with frees, but I do not believe that sellers agree of paid for the others.
Or then to make a subscription for the sellers has $10 and one has $5 for those who porposent frees, with different advantages.
Cornelian choices.

Robynsveil
(Stranger)
09/25/12 04:50 PM
Re: Sharecg changing to subscription format? new [re: nergal83]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I for one am happy to pay to support this site - I own a site as well, and it's expensive to run and a lot of work, to boot. Where do we sign up? I'll be first in the queue... Laughing

Goldenthrush
(Newbie)
09/26/12 08:35 AM
Re: Sharecg changing to subscription format? [re: LadySythe]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I'm not even going to bother with a dialog.  They haven't listened in the past, they won't now.  I'm done.  They charge, my stuff comes down, I'll find someplace else for it.  This is not why I posted my work here.  

ChuckRock
(Stranger)
09/27/12 12:52 PM
Re: Sharecg changing to subscription format? new [re: Goldenthrush]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

No offense but the website is a complete mess . You think im going to pay??. Im off already suspended my assets i advise any other artists to do the same.

Total joke fest, the point of sharecg was the FREE aspect of it. Everyone put up with shawdy looking logos and terribly badly coded awfully designed webpages.

But now you cant even run the place on advertising? I smell bs and profiteering and an attempt to take this free community into a more "proftitable" model. Well not with my stuff your not.

I mean just look at the logo top left , they dont even know how to export a web image without it looking like complete crap and now they want money off me for providing them with free advertising revenue?  uhmm !  ShareCg could have been great and the actual people and community were. Its just a pity it was run worse than a second rate blog. 

DrAco2009
(Stranger)
09/27/12 06:21 PM
Re: Sharecg changing to subscription format? new [re: LadySythe]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Trying to tell us that you can’t fund one site on banner ads while other sites do this very same thing even turning profits is just purely insulting our intelligence. Though $9.99 isn’t going to make or break me I find it insulting to ask me to pay to upload free content I spend hours creating.

DieTrying
(Stranger)
09/30/12 08:21 AM

I have no problem with people making money with the stuff I give away for free. So my content is unrestricted use, where possible.

But.
I.
Won't.
Pay.
For.
It.
Period.

How off putting is even the idea to charge people which give you their work for free?

d_jpp
(Stranger)
10/02/12 08:57 AM

I'm not ready to pay  for  sent  free  items on this  cite  , for two reasons

you've wrote that  150 peoples  sent  an answers  and 90% says  OK to pay

but  those answers represent only 5% of  contributors  ... have you think what  it's  arrived  if  this majority of  people  don't accept  to pay ? ( me first)...

The  real problem  is  the  dichotomy  between DAZ  and Poser  and  the difficulty of  people  to  create  universal  objects with  actual  version  of  daz, the displayed objects   are divided by two  in one  year ( I download  all  products for DAZ and  Poser and objects poser  and  daz compatible from  2008 and  I can  create  a  statistics around ) and  the  announces  went  down

Personally  I have  stop  the  creation  of stuff  in the  one  of  those format  to present  it in .obj and 3ds Shape  only .

I think, at the place to  cry for money , (that's American habit when they are  problems) that   only thing able to save ShareCG  is  as  same  as  Blender  or  Wing  , that  some smart programmer  able to compute  an  original  and  free version  of software  able  to  read built  and  save   scenes  using all format  of  daz  and  poser models and  restore the  universal compatibility between all models ...new  and  old ...
on other  solution  create  a  strength able  to  be  strong  to  force  Daz  and  Poser  to heard  us  customers.

Friendship

:D-JPP

I remembers an  period  not faraway that  American  peoples  can force  trade  to  make  that they want , now that's  the  trade  who force  people :o(    

Pages in this thread: 1 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise