ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 18927 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

primorge
(Stranger)
06/13/15 01:44 PM
Upload sizes? new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Trying to find information on upload size requirements/limits for images and zips. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

primorge
(Stranger)
06/13/15 03:25 PM
Re: Upload sizes? new [re: primorge]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Ummm, ok. Trying to figure out where this information is located is proving difficult, not quite sure to whom this question should be directed. This is the second forum I've posted in. Scratches head. The site faq doesn't have it... should I just do a trial and error process on my uploads? Lol.

Josea
(Journeyman)
06/15/15 09:30 AM
Re: Upload sizes? new [re: primorge]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

http://www.sharecg.com/share/upload_guidelines.php

In the page for uploading a 3d model you are given a choice of "Slow connection or large file (>10MB)" or "Fast connection or small file (10MB or less)". This would indicate no size limit. Keeping size to less the 10 MB might be a good idea.

Hope this helps.

hypnagogia
(Stranger)
06/15/15 03:27 PM

I've never had a problem uploading any size of file.. I think the largest I've uploaded was about 40MB. Picture size has never been an issue either.

Gilbamesh
(Stranger)
08/18/15 08:34 AM
Re: Upload sizes? new [re: hypnagogia]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hypnagogia must be right, apparently there are no real size limits. Yet I often run into nasty problems as I try and download from ShareCG anything larger than 20 MB - at some point (usually towards the end, must be Murphy's law...) something in the connection goes awry and all I get is a fistful of nothing, an useless .part file. Took me 7 tryes, plenty of time and quite some stubborness to get hold of a 56 MB file I absolutely didn't want to give up :-(
OK, must be just my crappy web connection, but, alas, I'm helpless there - and like me how many others?
Hence my heartfelt pledge: before uploading gargantuan files do think also of us peones and consider breaking them down to smaller chunks, will you?

bsperan
(Stranger)
12/09/15 02:43 PM
Re: Upload sizes? [re: Gilbamesh]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Gilbamesh wrote:

> Hence my heartfelt pledge: before uploading gargantuan files do think also

> of us peones and consider breaking them down to smaller chunks, will you?

I agree 100%. Please, have pity on those of us with a slow(-ish) connection. If your file is 35-40 MB or more, consider breaking it up into separate parts, with each part as a separate "model" on ShareCG. You'll make a lot of people happy and save bandwidth on ShareCG, to boot. (How much bandwidth does it take to try to re-download the same file half a dozen times?)

Oh, and please consider using either WinRAR or (even better) 7zip to compress large files. These work much better than .ZIP.

On files 5 MB or less it typically saves about 1 MB, maybe 2. But on large files the savings are usually significant. With a 50 MB .ZIP file, I'm not surprised when I re-compress it with .7zip down to about 40 MB, a savings of 10 MB. And in some cases, with 7zip I can compress it down to almost half the size of the same thing in .ZIP! (BTW: WinRAR may cost money, but 7zip is free.)

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise