ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 19527 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

duane_moody
(Stranger)
03/28/15 10:31 PM
Confirm "All Rights Reserved" new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Great site, sorry my first post might sound like a complaint (it isn't).

If I read the ARR tooltip correctly, this means any use of the asset requires negotiated permission with the asset uploader beforehand and/or the asset is presumably for sale without that permission elsewhere. 

I see this setting more often than I'd expect for items like textures and props (where the posts don't indicate the products are for sale anywhere), and I'm wondering if because ARR is the default Usage Rights setting some uploaders aren't bothering to change it to more likely settings like "don't redistribute" or "non-commercial." 

If that's the case, could choosing ARR require a confirmation before submission given the severity of its restrictions? Perhaps the site might also have an option to save the member's last use rights setting given the likelihood they'll choose the same one for their next upload.

In the meantime I'll politely ask the uploaders of some items if this is what they meant and respect their wishes if so.

Thanks again for the site.

duane_moody
(Stranger)
03/30/15 12:43 PM
Re: Confirm "All Rights Reserved" new [re: duane_moody]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

BTW, I know enough jQuery to script the confirmation part myself if you want or need the code; remembering the previous use rights upload setting could be done client side with cookies/persistent storage to avoid adding another column to user tables.

bsperan
(Stranger)
08/06/17 09:59 AM
Re: Confirm "All Rights Reserved" new [re: duane_moody]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I could imagine that some content creators mistakenly choose ARR to mean "don't redistribute". However, if that's the case, they must not realize that "All Rights Reserved" does not mean that and it does not work that way.

And I think you may have a point about "All Rights Reserved" being the default Usage Rights option. But, instead of it being a case of a content creator being lazy, I think it's usually either (a) a misunderstanding on their part or (b) a simple oversight.

For some, it could be an oversight. ShareCG is far from the most user-friendly site I've used. Also, it is possible to forget to set/change something (like Usage Rights) before the 'Submit' button is clicked.

However, I know for a fact that some content creators do not understand the full implications of choosing "All Rights Reserved" as Usage Rights. They do not understand that merely posting it on ShareCG does not grant anyone any rights to do anything with it beyond what the Usage Rights and ShareCG's User Agreement states.

I've communicated with some about this issue. Often, they explain that they chose this because they wanted to protect their ownership. They were afraid that choosing anything else would allow unscrupulous people to resell their content on another venue (such as through SecondLife's marketplace or as part of a 3D package, etc, etc).

Sadly, many content creators do not take the time to fully read all the fine print in ShareCG's User Agreement. If they did, they would understand that they retain ownership of their content, regardless of what they choose for Usage Rights.

(That said, I feel uncertain about "Unrestricted use". The name implies that it grants a lot of rights, with wide-reaching implications. But exactly what this entails is as clear as mud as I haven't found an explanation of what it means.)

My point is that it would be illegal to claim someone's content as their own or sell it without their permission, regardless of the situation. And choosing "All Rights Reserved" - or any other usage rights - is not going to deter someone who is determined to break rules and/or break the law. You might as well put a "Stealing is forbidden here" sign in your store, for all the good it will do you.

However, the very fact that this was published on a site like ShareCG could be used as evidence to support a claim of ownership to have some site remove content that is rightfully yours which someone else is trying to sell. (I'm no expert. But I would imagine that uploading to two separate sites - such as on both ShareCG and Renderosity's Freebies area - may help strengthen such a claim.)

bsperan
(Stranger)
08/06/17 10:12 AM
Re: Confirm "All Rights Reserved" [re: bsperan]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Anyway, there are some things that ShareCG could do to remedy this situation. For one, they could move "All Rights Reserved" to the very bottom of the list, making it impossible for someone to choose it accidentally or by default.

Personally, I'd like to see ShareCG remove "All Rights Reserved" as an option for 3D Models, Poser, or DAZ Studio. I think it should ONLY be allowed for areas such as Tutorials, Art, or Video. This would solve a lot of issues, such as content creators misusing this Usage Rights model under false assumptions.

If someone really wants to share their 3D Model without granting anyone any rights to do anything with it, they could take screenshots or video of it and share those. That's what the Art and Video sections are for, after all.

Another thing ShareCG could do is have Usage Rights left {blank} as the default and prevent content creators from successfully submitting their content without first changing it from the default {blank}. This would prevent content creators from forgetting to change Usage Rights.

The bottom line is that ShareCG's Usage Rights system is very dated and desperately needs changing. All other popular 3D content sites that I'm aware of have a Terms of Service and usage rights system that are very, very clearly defined in precise legal terms. And many are not afraid to update them as they see fit.

Also, most content sharing sites that I'm aware of support newer, popular license models like Creative Commons. I mean... GEEZ! Please, get with the times, ShareCG.

bsperan
(Stranger)
08/06/17 11:18 AM
Re: Confirm "All Rights Reserved" new [re: bsperan]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Interesting... I was reading through comments on models marked "All Rights Reserved" when I noticed a reply to my question about Usage Rights. Basically, the content creator asked me to contact them directly about what I wanted to use it for. The person even published their phone number.

From this, I assume that the whole reason they chose "All Rights Reserved" for Usage Rights was to advertise their content with the intention of selling it to those interested. In other words, it looks suspiciously like they're using ShareCG as a marketplace, but in a way that completely bypasses the Store.

Wouldn't trying use ShareCG to sell content directly to consumers in a way that bypasses the Store be a violation of the User Agreement? If not, shouldn't it be? If such a thing becomes a growing trend, wouldn't this lead to a growing loss of revenue for ShareCG?

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise