ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 39677 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

franontheedge
(Stranger)
06/16/07 10:50 AM
Category Ideas new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I'd like to see a category for "Man-Made" in the choice of 5 categories list on upload, since I'm never too sure where to put bricks, rooftiles, concrete, tarmac, road and pavement surfaces etc.

I'd also like to see Bryce6, Bryce5.5, and Bryce5 in the list of file types rather than just Bryce 4, as now that Bryce 5.5 is free, most people would have that rather than only Bryce 4.

Also if I upload a model, it's not 3ds format - it's an .obj, or more likely a .obj inside a .zip - but there's no .zip file type either...

It's never a .3ds format as I cannot afford 3dsMax. If it's a Bryce file - it would be in a .zip anyway, just to try to reduce the file size both for me on uploading and for the poor person trying to download.

Edited by franontheedge on 06/16/07 10:51 AM.

jakehellerModerator
(Stranger)
06/17/07 04:50 PM
Re: Category Ideas [re: franontheedge]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I'm assuming this is a reference to Textures and 3D Models? We can make those changes easily and quickly.

We don't to ZIP as a format choice because what really matters for the user is what's in the ZIP (or RAR), but one issue we do have is if you have multiple formats. We might allow people to select multiple (say, up to three). 

-Jake 

franontheedge
(Stranger)
06/23/07 09:34 AM
Re: Category Ideas new [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

"I'm assuming this is a reference to Textures and 3D Models? We can make those changes easily and quickly.

We don't to ZIP as a format choice because what really matters for the user is what's in the ZIP (or RAR), but one issue we do have is if you have multiple formats. We might allow people to select multiple (say, up to three). "

Well considering that you very kindly have a format all laid out for tutorials taking away all the hard choices for that format - yes.

I can do .obp formats - but in Bryce6 or Bryce4, or Bryce5 format - don't really use the br4 format any more since Bryce 5.5 is now free. and I can do .obj format - which is usually untextured but more universal than Bryce's own formats, since you can import an.obj file to almost any prog, like 3dsMax, Maya, Cinema, Solidworks, Rhino, Wings,Blender... and so an. but I can also (I think) compress to .zip or to .rar.or even to .sit. But basically... in answer to your question... yes.

But I can also save stuff to .c4d - er, I think that's the cinema4D format?.  Although I'm a bit more hesitant about that as I've not used it so much as I have Bryce. But it's possible...

Ghost
(Stranger)
06/28/07 11:50 AM
Re: Category Ideas new [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

"We don't to ZIP as a format choice because what really matters for the user is what's in the ZIP (or RAR), but one issue we do have is if you have multiple formats. We might allow people to select multiple (say, up to three). "

It would be cool if we could select the formats on the upload screen with checkboxes, like the categories. Then we could upload a zip and check all the formats it contains. I saw fusebulb posted lots of models in different formats and that makes it hard to browse the new models page.

dadchamp
(Stranger)
06/28/07 04:13 PM
Re: Category Ideas new [re: Ghost]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Also, for Poser the line items are listed as only PZ3 and PP2. I think check boxes for this this software would be more appropriate as there could be PZ3, PP2, CR2, PZ2, HR2, et all, types of files for the various items that can be posted for Poser ranging from characters, poses, hair, clothing items, and many other things. Or just make a it very generic and leave it to the poster to identfy what is contained in the download.

You may also consider for models, textures, and other 'reusable' items to include a place to identify whether it is allowed for Commercial, Non-Commercial, or Public Domain.  

franontheedge
(Stranger)
06/30/07 03:07 PM

I see some changes have been made to the site's layout, looks simpler, and less chaotic. Nice.

I don't see a category for "man-made" in the uploads for textures yet though - that would be really helpful to have that.

FranOnTheEdge

irishlostboy
(Stranger)
07/19/07 11:16 AM
Re: Category Ideas new [re: franontheedge]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

how about "game ready" assets catagory? game assets are very specific. low poly, closed hull, tiling textures, propper UVW coords, etc. further catogorisations would only help. see turbosquid for the varied types.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise