ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 81931 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | (show all)
dadchamp
(Stranger)
06/28/07 04:49 PM
Identical items ... trademarks/copyrights Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I think it should be enforced that identical items should not be allowed! ie: multiples of the same model in different formats, multiples of the same texture in different colors, etc. This is flooding the content area and making it a cluttered mess. All like items should be contained in a single ZIP/RAR and identified as containing multiple formats or texture variations.

Also, I feel that any item portraying a copyright or trademark name should not be allowed. This opens the site to possible law suits by the copyright/trademark holder.

fusebulb
(Stranger)
06/28/07 11:01 PM
Re: Identical items ... trademarks/copyrights new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

i think considering the identical models in different formats should be allowed because it benefits both the people who are downloading and people who are putting it in terms of views it generates, because if you keep all the formats in one zip file then the filesize increases tremendously and probably people might not download it because of the file size as far as the textures are concerned, yes i think they should be stopped

Jumpstartme2
(Newbie)
06/29/07 01:44 AM
Re: Identical items ... trademarks/copyrights new [re: fusebulb]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I dont think forcing members to bundle their items is fair. Not to the uploader, or the downloader. Members with slower speeds will not be able to get larger downloads, and as far as the textures, etc..I can't count the number of times I have had to download an entire set of textures or backgrounds etc only to discover I only could use 1.

Much better when members can see exactly what they are getting instead of suffering thru long download times, and having to delete alot of things they dont want. 

dadchamp
(Stranger)
06/29/07 01:59 AM
Re: Identical items ... trademarks/copyrights *DELETED* new [re: Jumpstartme2]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Post deleted by ibsystems

fusebulb
(Stranger)
06/29/07 09:28 AM
Re: Identical items ... trademarks/copyrights new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

hi dadchamp i know it causes a clutter, but you will be surprised how many people download the unknow formats and it increases the views for the uploader tremendously, probably SCG guys should do something about it like in other 3d Sites where you can upload all formats in one product itself

dadchamp
(Stranger)
06/29/07 02:17 PM
Re: Identical items ... trademarks/copyrights new [re: fusebulb]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

A good way to think about this is ... What format do I use the most?

Then use that as the primary one that you supply and maybe offer two additional in common exchange formats.

For example a person who used Cinama4D uploads thier stuff in C4D and then also offers it in OBJ and 3DS. That would be thoughtful posting for the site users. Also people have to stay away from the propriatary formats like MAX. Since 3DMax users are the only ones that can use it, it limits who can download it. OBJ, 3DS, MA, LWS come to mind as probably the most common used in 3D in the hobby arena and those are the people we are cartering too. Be kind to them, offer them a quality product and you'll get your downloads.  

irishlostboy
(Stranger)
07/01/07 07:16 AM

this thread exposes the tip of the main "problem" iceberg of sharecg. and possibly the main reasons it might fail. because it rewards uploaders, people will try and take advantage of this in various ways. from spam posts, to putting up peoples work they do not own, its all happening here. combine this with the lack of quality control, the lack of varied upload catagories (where is the game assets catagory?) it all adds up to the downloader having to wade through too much to find anything they want.

content providers should focus on providing the highest quality works, istibuted in the most accesable way, and stop worrying about there pageviews. lets face it. its piss little money. if you are good enough at your craft, you will make a lot more working comercially.

if we play our cards right, sharecg could be great, but if it becomes bloated with rubbish, it will die. simple as that 

dadchamp
(Stranger)
07/01/07 07:42 AM
Re: Identical items ... trademarks/copyrights new [re: irishlostboy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

This is a place for CG artists to get noticed ... unfortunately spammers and flooders will get noticed A LOT MORE! And that is too bad. It gives the valid artists here a black eye and makes trying to get noticed even harder.

Anything, ANYTHING, that has a potential copyright or trademark violation should be notified to SCG and should be removed without question. For example, there are items currently posted here with the Nescafe, Inca Cola, 7up, and other trademark violations! There are also a number of models of "TinTin's" moon rocket which are copyright violations on that design. These items may be downloaded for free, but the uploaded IS being paid for the page view. That makes these EXTREMELY dangerous for posting as lawsuits can be originated over them. That is the major difference between this place and other places offering freebies. These cannot be considered 'Fan offerings' because you are being paid for the page views of them! It is a gray area, but far closer to being black than white ... and the courts would rule in favor of the copyright/trademark owner.

fusebulb
(Stranger)
07/01/07 08:34 AM

i think rather than mulling over the copyright issues and how sharecg might fail, i think this is a very positive thing that has happened, it's almost a phenomenon, you almost feel a part of this website, it's almost like it's your own website with your own content and at the end of the day you even profit from it and that too handsomely if you generate lot of views with quality stuff, so like with every phenomenon the little things like copyright issues and such can be easily dealt with, and the issue about spamming and flooding it with low quality stuff, that hardly matters because low quality stuff as it is, is not going to generate views and so no money or very less money, and the good stuff is going to shine like a diamond up there, so i view it as a very positive phenomenon.

Jumpstartme2
(Newbie)
07/01/07 01:09 PM

I like this site, and I think it will really take off. I also think if we are vigilant in helping corral the copyright infringers and reporting it, we can help further the sites success.

The content here is like any other CG freestuff, you will have bad, good, and excellent content...and the good and excellent will surpass the bad..so I dont think its anything to worry over really.

Pages in this thread: 1 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise