ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 33888 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

ramon_poca
(Stranger)
09/24/07 10:31 AM
Uploading files in different formats new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

It should be nice to *encourage* uploaders to upload, at least, a neutral/standard file format version of their objects (.obj for example).

MAX, cannot use if you don't have MAX. Poser, the same. Both programs allow to export .obj (as far as I know). Almost any 3d software reads .obj.

How to encourage it, I don't know. I wouldn't force anything, but an "official recomendation" might work. 

jakehellerModerator
(Journeyman)
09/24/07 10:53 AM
Re: Uploading files in different formats new [re: ramon_poca]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I actually don't know much about the formats... Is there anything lost by the OBJ format?

MatrixWorkz
(Journeyman)
09/24/07 11:00 AM
Re: Uploading files in different formats [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

OBJ may be standard but it does not retain program specific stuff. MAX files are not just 3D Object files they are 3D Scene files for 3D Max, just as PZ3 files are Scene files for Poser. They contain information specific to those programs that allow the content to work in those programs.

OBJ files do not contain important rigging information for either of these programs and will only load a stiff unmoveable prop or figure unless the end user knows how to re-rig the item in their particular program. It also does not contain program specific material shaders like the Poser Shader nodes which only work in Poser and a few programs that have Poser import features. 

If you see something in a format that you can not use, I reccommend you ask the uploader to share a format that you can use, but forcing all uploads to be generic OBJ will cut down on the content provided by this site. It's a bit unreasonable.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

vkirchner
(Stranger)
09/27/07 06:28 AM
Re: Uploading files in different formats new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am a little confused by the whole file issue, on one hand people were complaining that we had pages and pages of a simple ball in every format possible, so they encouraged combining of like files.  Then the other group complained that they wanted multiple formats availables.  So just how do we please the people?

I have been placing multiple file formats (OBJ,3DS,LWO) in one compressed file for downloading, just exactly what do I package for the masses? 

joypauline
(Newbie)
09/27/07 06:44 AM
Re: Uploading files in different formats new [re: vkirchner]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi there

The way you organise your zips with different formats is by far the best method.....wish everyone would do the same (although I know it is not always possible). When I download from you, I know I am going to get multiple formats for my different applications.

Many thanks!

MatrixWorkz
(Journeyman)
09/27/07 08:30 AM
Re: Uploading files in different formats new [re: vkirchner]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Your method of multiple formats in one zip is the best way to go. Some people have issues with that because of the upload issues. I tried zipping up my Jupiter 2 project with multiple formats in one zip but the file was so large it constantly timed out on me. Hence the mutiple uploads. Do what works for you and don't worry about other people's issues. They're their issues not yours.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise