ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 149428 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lobsterhead
(Stranger)
10/31/07 03:57 AM
quality new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Just thinking, it might be an idea to implement the kind of quality control in place at CGSociety. An artist can put anything they like in their own gallery but for their image to be included in the main gallery it has to be accepted via some moderator decision. I'm a professional digital illustrator but so far I've only uploaded a couple of images because of the general quality of the images here (bloody awful Poser things) because I'm wary of being involved with a site that seems to promote so many awful images.

I'm not knocking people who are making an effort, just the ones that seem to

post images with no obvious effort involved.

Anyway, just a thought :) 

joypauline
(Journeyman)
10/31/07 06:03 AM
Re: quality new [re: Lobsterhead]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....I get your point....but you are rather vague. It would be useful if you could be more specific.

"bloody awful Poser things" could mean anything. Are you suggesting that all Poser users produce awful "stuff"????? I have seen some quality here and often from hobbyists who do not have the privilege of working in the industry.

Just trying to clarify what you mean?

Cheers

Panthia
(Newbie)
10/31/07 09:26 AM
Re: quality new [re: joypauline]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I just went and had a lookie at just poser art and there happens to be tons and tons and tons of excellent images! 

joypauline
(Journeyman)
10/31/07 10:51 AM
Re: quality new [re: Panthia]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I totally agree with you Panthia. That is why I responded to this post which, seemed to be suggesting that Poser work is poor quality. I am sure the poster did not mean to give that impression so I asked for clarification. I have downloaded some excellent quality material from this area.

Cheers

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/31/07 11:35 AM
Re: quality [re: joypauline]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Welcome to the World of CGSociety snobbery. Poser users are treated as the red headed step child of CGI on that site and that's why you don't see many Poser works there. One because once an image is identified as a Poser image it is immediately attacked and two because most seasoned Poser users have no use for a site that denigrates everything they do.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

joypauline
(Journeyman)
10/31/07 12:34 PM
Re: quality [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Yes I see that Steve and, what snobbery it is!!!!!...e.g. good animation in Poser is a very time-consuming and demands skill...unless you just us a pre-applied file (which still needs much tweeking) and very few exist.

I really do not understand this snobbery as I have a colleague/friend who worked on Roger Rabbit as an animator and swears by Poser as an animating tool! He would knock spots of all these snobs but simply takes no notice of their arrogance.

Hugs

Pauline

jakehellerModerator
(Journeyman)
10/31/07 01:33 PM
Re: quality new [re: joypauline]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Although I definitely don't want to inherit the snobbery of CGSociety, I think that Lobster's idea ain't bad. It would really help remove from our galleries those users who are uploading massive quantities of very easily made content with almost no artistic qualities, while at the same time still allowing them to upload on the site, and those items will be available in their "portfolios" (as we currently call it... which is essentially a list of their files... we're going to have *real* portfolios soon).

The idea would be that being in our galleries is a priviledge, while uploading to the site is a right (well, unless it's [censored], copyright, etc). 

One problem is that it's a huge moderation issue--and who moderates? We'll have to give it more thought, but I think this is actually a pretty good idea.

-Jake 

Panthia
(Newbie)
10/31/07 01:50 PM
Re: quality new [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

hahahahahahahaha

Ok....I'll admit the idea of your artwork making to a privileged section would be great.  It would make me feel awesome and would clean out all those poser 'art' works of cyclo backs with an animal stuck in there......

Not saying my renders that I've posted there are any of the greats but atleast they did take some time to do and aren't 'hopefully' generic in nature!

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/31/07 01:53 PM
Re: quality new [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I agree, the idea was excellent. I just didn't appreciate the bash to Poser that came with it. That was uncalled for.

Private upload areas that aren't included in view counts sounds like an excellent idea. It would give us a place to upload thumbnails of our works to link to from other sites. Right now I use a different site completely for my thumbnails and WIP's. One stop shopping here would be a plus for me. Laughing

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

pauljs75
(Stranger)
10/31/07 02:52 PM

A portion of Poser complaints do have merit though. Who really does want to see yet another "Nekkid Vicky in a temple" type shot with a stock pose, so-so lighting, and a vacant expressionless face? It's that which gives Poser a bad rap...

But like any other CG app, I see it as a tool. If somebody takes the time to develop a scene and put some life into the character(s), then it does have potential. There are Poser works that come off brilliantly. I think the real complaint is that such pieces are rare in comparison to the typical fluff seen in most Poser/D|S gallerys.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise