ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 101102 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | >> (show all)
Luchare
(Stranger)
02/07/08 06:32 PM
Re: Might I suggest a starting point! new [re: Panthia]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

the whole lint photograph thing - i remember a long time ago there was someone who did that, collected about 10 years worth of lint and took photos of it - i can't remember the name of the site, i know it was something about lint collections though Foot in mouth

Panthia
(Member)
02/08/08 06:32 PM
Re: Might I suggest a starting point! new [re: Luchare]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

yeah, kinda like this site a friend used to go to to watch paint peel.....

beekeeper
(Stranger)
02/12/08 06:58 AM
Re: Might I suggest a starting point! new [re: Goldenthrush]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Should it be x number or x size? I am very much in favour of multiple files in one zip but should we allow some leeway in numbers per zip so that those on dialup can still download some items?

5 or 10 megs worth perhaps?

DavidJHanna
(Stranger)
02/12/08 08:14 AM
Re: Might I suggest a starting point! new [re: beekeeper]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Yes, by size instead of image count makes much more sense.  Because I do not have DSL or cable in my area, I am limited to using a 56k modem at only 26k, due to shoddy phone lines.  Sharecg has implemented a 45-minute limit on file transfers.  This means I can neither upload nor download anything more than a few megabytes.  Original art would be one image, full background textures could be individual or small packs, object texture packs could hold a dozen or more images, and small tillable textures could come in hundred plus packs.  The goal is to make it as easy for the visitor as possible, so they are happy and return to browse all sharecg has to offer.

brainstew
(Stranger)
02/13/08 11:39 AM
Re: Might I suggest a starting point! new [re: DavidJHanna]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I agree. I also am aware of that problem. It sometimes is a dilemma... on the one hand, we're supposed to bundle stuff (which, of course, makes perfect sense), but on the other hand, it's like David said - it's a big disadvantag for those who do not enjoy the luxury of a fast connection.

I think beekeeper's suggestion regarding a certain "leeway" should be taken into consideration for the sake of modem users.

DavidJHanna
(Stranger)
02/13/08 10:32 PM
Re: Might I suggest a starting point! new [re: brainstew]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

One solution would be to have two download buttons.  One would connect to a fast connection for DSL and cable, and have a 15 minute limit.  Just about any file on sharecg could be downloaded on DSL or cable in 5 minutes.  The other button would be for modems, and have a 4 hour limit, but have a maximum transfer speed of 56k.  It is impossible to transfer as much through a 56k modem in 4 hours as you can transfer on DSL or cable in 45 minutes. 

Another option is to allow the visitor to select to downlod the file in 1, 4 or 10 megabyte chunks, then have the server slice the file into the chuncks.  Creating a program to slice and reassemble files is very easy.  I wrote my own over a decade ago, and am willing to create a Windows version for free.

-David

DavidJHanna
(Stranger)
02/15/08 09:56 AM
Re: Might I suggest a starting point! new [re: brainstew]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Oops!  My mistake. 

Sharecg already has a two download methods.  I tried to upload a 5mb file, which is a full install for my 50kb program, and it failed several times, all around 5 minutes.  I read the instructions a little more closely; it said over 10mb OR slower modem connection.  I then tried to upload the slower way, and it took about a half hour, but it made it.  With the 45 minute limitation that means my limit is about 7 or 8 megabytes.  I still think that a file split and file merge program would help.  I would need to create three sets.  One for the server that accepts passed parameters, one the visitor that automatically verifies the files and merges them, and one for sharecg member that browses folders to split files for upload. 

-David 

Pages in this thread: 1 | >> (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise