ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 43746 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

DavidJHanna
(Stranger)
02/18/08 07:46 AM
e-fronter Poser Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello.

Why is the Poser section of the forum called "e-fronter Poser "?  When I go to look for Poser related material I don't do a search on "e-fronter", "DAZ", or "Curious Labs".  I do a search for Poser.  My version of Poser is "Curious Labs", not "e-frontier".  Wouldn't it make more sense to list the forums by the application, rather than the current license holder.  The Poser forum would be easier to find. if it was listed as "Poser (e-frontier)".

If I had't read each title carefully, I would have gone to "other" to look for Poser related messages.

-David

Axe_Swipe
(Newbie)
02/18/08 01:00 PM
Re: e-fronter Poser new [re: DavidJHanna]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

In all actuality, it should probably now be "SmithMicro Poser" but I digress.

e-frontier bought Curious Labs a few years back which is why your copy says Curious Labs and the forum say e-frontier which sold Poser recently to SmithMicro. 

DavidJHanna
(Stranger)
02/18/08 03:38 PM
Re: e-fronter Poser new [re: Axe_Swipe]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I think Poser 4 was Metacreations, which gives us yet another possible name to look under.  Do we really want a seperate  forum for each of those companies, or just one that covers all Poser.  If the forum is about Poser, rather than e-frontier, Metacreations, DAZ, or SmithMicro then I think it should be listed by Poser.  What do you think?  I'm sure there other applications that deserve to be listed by the product name, rather than one of the companies that once owned the rights to it.  I don't know of any other place that lists Poser under "E" instead of "P".

-David

MatrixWorkz
(Enthusiast)
02/18/08 08:37 PM
Re: e-fronter Poser new [re: DavidJHanna]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Frankly I find this entire thread to be one silly nit-pick. It's Poser! If you've been around since Poser 4 you KNEW who e Frontier, Curious Labs and Metacreations were, or should have by now. Yeah, you don't see 3D Max called Kinnetix 3D Max or Discreet 3D Max, but you'd still know what it was if you saw it labeled by past license holders if you'd been using it for very long. There are much bigger fish to fry around here than worrying about something this silly.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

DavidJHanna
(Stranger)
02/18/08 10:11 PM
Re: e-fronter Poser new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

My point is that it is “Poser”, not “e-frontier”, not “Curious Labs”, and not “Metacreations”.  When I bought Bryce, it was also Metacreations, but the forum has sorted into the “D” section for Daz.  What is the point of sorting forums, if it is sorted by an arbitrary value?  I am talking about a change in policy to make finding the correct forum to post or read easier.  This will encourage more people to post.

It’s true that there are bigger problems that need to be solved.  There are several other threads that cover those problems.  One problem is that ShareCG seems to average less than three posts per day, not counting my posts.  Most of those posts come from the same few people.  Either ShareCG doesn’t have many members, or they don’t have many members who care enough to read and post to forums.

We cannot expect to cure all of the sites problems with one solution, so we need to look at each problem, both big and small.  This is a very small problem with a very easy solution.  Rather than posting a message directly to ShareCG and asking them to change policy, I thought it would be better to post the problem here, and let everyone put their two cents in.

-David

Edited by DavidJHanna on 02/18/08 10:16 PM.

irishlostboy
(Member)
02/18/08 10:48 PM

DavidJ, yes, you are right. the company that currently holds the licence to the software is not very relevant to the forum heading, and yes, it should be done away with. but nobody really cares. like you pointed out, sharecg is currently not a healthy beast. it has little to do with peoples use of the forums and lots to do with the fact that the people who are supposed to be running this place are AWOL. there are no moderators on sharecg, so there is no one with the ability to help you. it is doubtful that david or jacob read these forums anymore, so unless you contact them directly, i doubt they will be able to help you either.

http://irishlostboy.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://www.sharecg.com/pf/irishlostboy

jalex417Moderator
(Journeyman)
03/13/08 04:44 PM
Re: e-fronter Poser new [re: irishlostboy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

We've changed the name to 'Poser'  .... Thanks for all the input.

DavidJHanna
(Newbie)
03/13/08 09:06 PM
Re: e-fronter Poser new [re: jalex417]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thank You.

-David

arigmaKaw
(Stranger)
04/12/09 11:15 PM
I'm New Here new [re: DavidJHanna]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi Everyone,
This place is so great, thanks to google I found this forum :D

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise