ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Wanted
Thread views: 25724 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Framed
(Stranger)
02/06/13 05:16 PM
Statues from above new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello,

My name is Olaf and i'm creating a (free) boardgame for fans of Star Wars. The main goal is that you can decide how big the game should be and print all the fields and missions you want. I am creating 12 playfields (9 done) and for this specific field i'd like some expertise from you guys.

Basically what you see down here is a topview of an ancient Sith Tomb. On four tiles i would like to have 4 statues from certain ancient philosophers or sages from the star wars universe. I have pasted 2d images as a reference of what i'd like to see, but the effect just doesn't do it. The statue on the right kind of works, but the others are very off.

Since the statues are not very known to the public (recently 2 have been released as little statues) details and are not very important. Nor does size ratio or color. Even a realistic texture is not needed. The example picture below with the 4 sages shows what the statues look like and i've added the names if you would like to google more on the subject. But really, not much can be found on two of them.

Soooo... would anybody like to help in this fanbased game decoration? Credits of the 3d artist will ofcourse be mentioned on the field so that everyone who downloads it, will see your name. If you all are interested, i'd be happy to show some more example pictures of the rest of the game.

If you can't or don't want to help, any reaction would be appreciated ofcourse. May the Force be with you talented artists!Laughing

playfield: Sith Tomb

Red lines are the actual tiles where actionfigures stand on.
Yellow lines are fot reference to see where the statues feet should start.

Googled statues of Sistros, Braata, Yanjon and Fayar  
also known as:  Four sages of Dwartii

cris333
(Stranger)
02/07/13 06:53 AM
Re: Statues from above new [re: Framed]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Sorry i can't help i didnt created props for games, i think you need a 3D modeler if the game is 3D or 2.5D.The statues should be easy to model by an advanced modeler if you need the obj statues.If you need only a 2D image i can say that you did some good job im not good on warping images but i suggest you to add shadow behind statue images.An image after a 3D model seen from above is more realistic than a 2D warped image but the statue from right side is so close to realistic, the only thing is missing is some shadows on the wall.As a beginner in modelling i'm learning/experimenting the 3D terrains.Have you tried the 3D option from Photoshop to project your finished 2d images on an object?

here are some free 3d statues 

http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/browse.aspx?page=1&category=12 maybe it helps (requires login to download)

Edited by cris333 on 02/07/13 11:46 AM.

Framed
(Stranger)
02/07/13 04:31 PM
Re: Statues from above new [re: cris333]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi Cris,

Thank you for the fast reply. My game is a 2D boardgame, because people can use their printer to print out flat playfields. Thanks for the complimenting on the warping that i did, but that work is really easy. As in; i just use the Resize / Skew / Perspective tool.(I do have Photoshop X4 (i think) , but i prefer the CorelSuite X5 (also have X6,ha ha).

The 3D option in photoshop is yet unfamiliair to me, i haven't tried it. I doubt it will have the effect i would like.

The link you have provided is of much MUCH help!! Thanks a bunch! If no good solution for the 4 sages statues will appear, then i will use some ancient greek statues from the website you gave (if the original artist aproves ofcourse...)

So... i will try that tomorrow and when i have an update, i'll post it here.) Soooo, again: many thanks Laughing

Framed
(Stranger)
02/14/13 04:30 PM
Re: Statues from above new [re: cris333]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello to all of you who read this.

Here's an update of the gamefield (10th of 12). Thanks to Cris333(!) i've taken the liberty of browsing for some free statues on that website and adding them to the tomb. It wasn't what i wanted originally, but maybe this is even better, leaving the scenery open to speculation and peoples own fantasy.

So, without further ado, i will post a small version here and for those who are interested i've added a larger resolution aswell to see more detail of the field (in progress...)

Here's the larger version:

http://oi49.tinypic.com/9r7twz.jpg  (copy and paste into your browser.)

If you've got questions or suggestions, i'd be happy to read them. Thanks for reading this post!Laughing

cris333
(Stranger)
02/16/13 10:56 AM
Re: Statues from above new [re: Framed]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

it looks great,the statues now have more 3D realistic effect than the 2d warped images because are 3D models and uses the ambient lights and shadows.Shadow is the most important thing and this is how our eyes can distinguish the world/objects in 3D and not in 2D..(i think).To be honest i didnt used that website (yet) i just saw your requesting help post and i typed in google search "statues 3d model" Laughing ,this is how i found this free 3d content site.Great job Olaf Smile and im glad you found a way to solve somehow the "missing statues puzzle" Laughing .I know, it's not what you expected, the lords statues from Star wars but at least there are 3D statues and i guess the above view (camera) wont dissapoint to much the users/viewers/players.After all sometimes we need to do some compromises or to trick the human eye in the CG Art.

Edited by cris333 on 02/16/13 11:03 AM.

Framed
(Stranger)
02/21/13 07:08 AM
Re: Statues from above [re: cris333]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thanks for the nice words, Cris333.

Now that this playfield is done, i have started working on a website for this project. Basicaly so people can see the progress and even vote for the 2 last playfields that need to be made.

When the website is ready to go publically online i'll post the link here. For now i'll concentrate on the website, so thanks for your help and perhaps till later some time...Cool

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise