ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Callenges & Contests
Thread views: 135572 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
MatrixWorkz
(Enthusiast)
02/06/08 07:10 PM
Re: 3D Character Contest new [re: avatarevolution]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Well I still say you need some legal eagle to rewrite your rules because as they stand now they're too all encompasing regarding source files.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

dadchamp
(Member)
02/06/08 08:47 PM
Re: 3D Character Contest new [re: avatarevolution]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You scare me .... you are treading a VERY FINE LINE.

I for one will not go this direction. This is courting disaster and for me has SCAM written ALL over it! Been there! Done that! Got the burns to prove it!

--
I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

MatrixWorkz
(Enthusiast)
02/06/08 11:09 PM
Re: 3D Character Contest new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

It's definately walking a fine line between scam and shadey with the wording they used in their rules. I'd never give up ownership of my source files for a unique character that I made myself! Not for $3000 anyway! I'd give em' my files to use but not ownership at that price!

dadchamp
(Member)
02/06/08 11:29 PM
Re: 3D Character Contest new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The 3K ain't bad. Heck, I've done custom characters for people for Poser for free (normally I charge around $300 to $400 for a basic character) but I do that because I know the Poser community by and large is poor! LOL Look at me! LOL  But if these people expect to be taken seriously as a leggit business, they better do some long hard looking at the legalease in their contest rules ... it needs a lot of work. And for a company that is less than a year old with no visable track record? Can we say grab the rights to some high quality characters and make a run for it??? Way to shady on a sunny day for me ...

--
I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

(Stranger)
02/07/08 04:18 PM
Re: 3D Character Contest new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

well we are a new company, learning as we go.  Trying our best.  If you have suggestions for improvement, and constructive criticism, let us know.  Otherwise please keep your slanderous claims to yourself.

Regarding copyrights:

The question of copyrights is often asked.  The way we deal with 3rd-party characters for Poser is that the artist sends us a PZ2 file that injects the morphs the artist has created.  Then we apply those morphs to the appropriate character.  (We have already purchased nearly *every* conceivable base character set that is available.)  Other 3D programs work in other ways.  This is a technical detail that we will work out with each artist to ensure they transfer files in a way that respects and preserves the copyrights of all parties.

Our primary focus is on stimulating interest in 3D characters, and creating a venue for artists to show off their works, and form relations with our favorite artists, and providing prizes as incentives to participate.

Sarah

webwyvern
(Stranger)
02/07/08 05:14 PM

Hi Sarah,

I'm not a lawyer and I certainly do not wish to be contentious in any way. I'm curious about what these avatars actually consist of. From what I gather from this site, it sells customised avatars to people for their own websites.

I'm assuming these avatars are 2D image sequences placed into some type of shell (flash, etc.).

This sounds perfectly legitimate according to my understanding of the Daz licensing of their characters.

If they are distributing the 3d geometry of the characters in a format that would allow someone to extract the geometry without purchasing the base character, then this would be against the license agreement.

I would hope that the artists here would ask some questions to find out what is happening before they pushed the panic button.

Dyald
(Stranger)
02/07/08 10:24 PM

I have a few questions, Will we get credit as the artist in the characters. Exactly how will our characters be used, and will you be selling the characters or just the imagas made from them.

MatrixWorkz
(Enthusiast)
02/08/08 12:35 AM

Nobody has written anything that could be construed as Libelous. Yet. Insinuations are not libel and written accusations are not slander. You'll need to know the difference between the two. Also, you still have not addressed the language you used in your rules. Doesn't matter what you say to us here in the forums. Your written rules still can not be construed as legal with the current wording used. Change that wording and be more specific and folks will be less likely to make accusations against you.

Just a little history lesson here. There have been many attempts to steal content in the 3D and Poser community. Folks are going to be very wary of anyone who doesn't present a squeaky clean set of legal rules for any contests where rights of proprietary ownership of materials and content is concerned. Learn that fast and learn it well and you'll succeed in your endeavor. Ignore it at your own risk.  When someone points out the vagueness of your rules, it's not slander (Or libel to be precise) it's merely our attempt at getting you to update your rules so they don't leave wiggle room for theft.

gl2nn
(Stranger)
02/08/08 02:51 PM
Re: 3D Character Contest new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hopefully i can help clear up some questions. 

First and foremost, the main goal for this contest is to make contact with skilled 3D artists.  We will be creating many characters for our company over the next year or two.  We have already paid about $20K to artists to create about 30 characters for us. I have personally spent about $2000 of our company's money to purchase a wide variety of the base character meshes, textures, clothing, hair, props, etc.  We have a much larger future budget to continue to create many more characters and enrich the artistic community.

We want to make contact with new artists and pay them to create characters for us.  The contest is one way we are doing this.  this is the first time Sarah and i have set up a contest like this, and we're doing the best we can.

If you visit our website www.humanityonline.com, you can see that we provide 3D hosts for websites (as our first phase of services).  So we are looking pay for 3D characters to animate for our customers.

With respect to copyrights, for each winner, we will talk with every related content provider to ensure their rights and IP are protected and compensated.  If anyone has specific, constructive suggestions about how to best do this, let me know!

For example, what specific edits to the rules would make them more clear?  We didn't want to make the rules too lengthy and lawyeristic, but if there is something important missing i will edit them.  i've already made two edits, based on feedback from the community. :)

I'm a 3D artist myself (not very good, but i'm learning ;-), so i totally understand and insist that our company observes all copyright interests.  One of the things i really like about our founder is that he does things right, and builds companies to last. you can see my awful, amateurish attempts here:  http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=165576

cheers,
glenn

MatrixWorkz
(Enthusiast)
02/08/08 04:55 PM
Re: 3D Character Contest [re: gl2nn]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Glenn,

I've already pointed out the particular text of your contest that calls it into question regarding legalities. I've also said you should consult someone in the legal profession regarding the wording changes you should make. As it stands now the words "including all source files and textures needed to create the character, hair, and clothing. The winning 3d characters, as well as source and texture files become the property of Humanity Online LLC and the artist conveys all rights to Humanity Online LLC;" are where you're tripping up. You can't claim ownership of "All Source Files". You can claim ownership of "All Source Files Created by the Contestant" but not the souce files they used that belong to someone else. If that isn't clear enough for you then I'm done trying to explain it!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise