ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 13056 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

BadFaerie
(Stranger)
08/27/11 03:56 AM
"Unrestricted Use"\definition\etiquette? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Stupid question, but if somebody posts something as being "Unrestricted", what are the limitations of this as far as site TOS\ettiquette go if you cannot contact the original author to ask thier permission\they don't answer either way when you ask.

Obviously, it would be wrong to simply to grabe something and to resitstribute it wholesale, or to try tosell it as your own work.

For example, could you grab a small amount of geometry and re uses it in your own freebie. Such as taking the knob off of a radio and using it on an oven model, or re using a door handle?

Is there a rules page laying out exactly hwat you can\cannot do?

It goes without saying that you'd want to give credit and back link to the original model.

Matika
(Journeyman)
08/30/11 12:55 AM
Re: "Unrestricted Use"\definition\etiquette? new [re: BadFaerie]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I thought I replyed to this post.  Maybe it was removed, then again maybe it was when my computer crashed.  anyways my thoughts on your question.

To me unrestricted means you can use the figure anyway you choose, commercial or privately or even educational, whatever. 

I once created a female child obj without genitals.  Oboviously it didn't need any, or did it?  I exchanged the use of the obj for the use of a figure I wanted.  The next time I saw that child it had genitals and was being used for [censored].  Not what I intended.  I never gave the rights to alter the figure.  And I see nothing on here that gives that right.

Some countries have laws agains copywrite infringement.  I don't know what your country does.  Even to take a piece of a figure and use it when it says not to be redistributed without permission violates the trust that creater gives in allowing you usage.  

Lets say you took that knob, then gave credit.  Now someone else takes that knob and something else from your freebe.  Then someone else does it.  Will the credit still begiven to the creator?   Sounds far fetched?  It happens and will happen again and again.   If I take the legs from one figure and put it on another, then the arms from a third.  That's not my work.  I have no right to give it away even though they were free and I disasembled then reassembled. 

I don't know how other's feel, as this is only my 2 fen worth.

Greybeard
(Stranger)
10/28/11 06:40 PM
Re: "Unrestricted Use"\definition\etiquette? new [re: BadFaerie]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I can't speak for anyone else, but, to me, unrestricted, means unrestricted.  If someone wants to use it wholesale in a work they're going to give away, have at it with so far, one exception.  If they want to cut it apart to use for something else, good luck and have fun.  I have the original Wings files and mix and match isn't easy. 

I don't treat someone else that way, but when I put it up, it's because I had a need for it, for my own use.  I have it, now it would be hard to care less what someone else wants to do with it.  Stating that this is how I feel about it, and not taking issue with someone else that might feel different.  So far one item I've put up I've asked that they not redistrubute, but even if someone does, I'm not going to have a lawyer sending nasty letters, just that I'd prefer it wasn't redistributed.

Greybeard.  (Getting grayer too.)

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise