ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 1145817 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
dadchamp
(Member)
01/08/08 05:37 AM
Re: Revenue Sharing Cancelled new [re: angelaandreoli]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Which brings us back to the idea of limiting the number of payable items. I think 20 to 25 for each person would be fair and a person browsing wouldnt know which ones are payable and which ones are not. The user would have the option of allowing either their lastest uploads to be the payable items or they could pick what they feel are their best items. In this way if a piece of 'crap' suddenly starts getting a huge number of hits it becomes pretty obvious that there is abuse going on there. Membership and logon requirements for tracking who is doing what would also reduce the abuse.

--
I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

Panthia
(Member)
01/08/08 06:45 AM
Re: Revenue Sharing Cancelled new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

gives Irishboy a big sloppy kiss for not saying what I figured he would say...

I could live with only having 20-25 items payable.....As long as I got to chose what items there were for me and it be allowed to change from month to month.

sissywoods
(Stranger)
01/08/08 09:20 AM
Re: Revenue Sharing Cancelled new [re: Stepdad]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Is this true?

Great..
I guess my content is crap.. :(

Noted and thanks for the heads up.

dadchamp
(Member)
01/08/08 10:05 AM
Re: Revenue Sharing Cancelled new [re: sissywoods]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

One man's crap is another man's cream. Just as one man's trash is another man's treasure. It is all in the eye of the beholder. So don't sell yourself short. There are plenty of elitest websites out there that have their noses so far up in the air that they drown eveytime it rains ... for the most part, this place is not one of them.

--
I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

MatrixWorkz
(Enthusiast)
01/08/08 10:07 AM
Re: Revenue Sharing Cancelled new [re: angelaandreoli]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Angela I've sent you a comment on one of your downloads that I think you should look at. Your reflection maps are fantastic.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

Kimber89
(Newbie)
01/08/08 11:25 AM
Re: Revenue Sharing Cancelled new [re: sissywoods]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

@ sissywoods

Got that feeling too? ;)

No, your items are definitely NOT crap!!

Panthia
(Member)
01/08/08 12:15 PM
Re: Revenue Sharing Cancelled new [re: Kimber89]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Wait wait wait wait wait....Sissy....I've downloaded all your laces and I love them....and well.....Kimber already knows I worship her texture sets!  Both have better sets than some that I have paid good darn money for!  I can honestly say that I would be crushed if either stopped sharing their creations.....along with quiet a few other creators here.......

I'd like to know what admin thinks of all the suggestions for making this site work?

Kimber89
(Newbie)
01/08/08 12:27 PM
Re: Revenue Sharing Cancelled new [re: Panthia]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

LOL, Panthia, I have no intentions of removing anything or stopping (except to take a breather now & then). :))) *HUGS*

I have alternatives if my content gets booted from here. I'm just waiting to see what changes will be done. Final decision will not be made until the new policy is implemented, whatever it may be. Til then, I'm here & will continue to share. ;)

brainstew
(Stranger)
01/08/08 12:45 PM
Re: Revenue Sharing Cancelled new [re: Kimber89]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

@sissywoods

I've had a look at your portfolio and although I do not use PSP, my personal opinion is that you don't need to worry about your items being crap. They're not.

Anyway, although it would be nice to see less spammers because the obvious crap makes ShareCG less attractive, that would never solve the problem of payments in the long run. The more popular ShareCG gets, the less money they will be able to pay. Reducing the number for items for which payments are made is a good idea, but in my opinion that also would only work for a while.

I think that people should really try and see ShareCG as a platform to gain a reputation as an artist, a place to showcase their work. Like someone else said before, uploading a shirt for V4 without morphs for free and selling the same item with morphs at Renderosity or elsewhere is something that makes perfect sense. You will never get the amount of money for such an item out of ShareCG, with or without the morphs.

This is why I don't understand many of the discussions that have been going on here. I've been following the postings here and in other threads (passively for the most part), and I just can't get it into my head why all those people who think so highly of their items (and I'm not insinuating that they are not justified to do so) don't actually sell them.

Since money does seem to matter a lot, which indeed is understandable, put 'em up for sale in a shop. ShareCG is not a shop. You will never get the same earnings here, it's just not possible. If you upload your stuff here because you think your items are not good enough to be sold, don't complain about how little money you receive from ShareCG, that's ridiculous. So is Irishlostboys idea of possibly sueing ShareCG for cancelling payments, by the way. Let's not turn this thing into a soap opera.

Which, for one thing, leaves the community question. With all those well-established and/or specialized forums out there, ShareCG will have a hard time bringing the forums to life as long as nothing can be found that would make them stand apart from what already exists. ShareCG needs a concept to attract people to the forums. I agree with Irishlostboy on that one.

To be continued...

brainstew
(Stranger)
01/08/08 12:46 PM
Re: Revenue Sharing Cancelled new [re: brainstew]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

(continued from my last post... ) 

As for the never-ending crap issue... Like Jake said earlier, it is indeed difficult to define what is art and what is not. There is a lot of obvious stuff though. However, there also is a lot of stuff that is not quite that obvious. Take modeling for example. Being a beginner, I download many models to analyze them in order to learn from them. Although a lot of them looked nice at first sight, I was really surprised to see so much inefficient modeling. Reversed normals, objects that have not been properly optimized, mistakes that show that people just don't know the basics of their application's modeling tools etc. etc. And no, those models were not made by someone who has just started out and subdivided the crap out of a cube just to get it really smooth. Often enough, these items are by people whose resume qualifies them as pros...

Still, some of those items, though not perfect, are nice anyway. That, however , is not my point. The point is, who will test the uploads and define what is crap and what is not? Because that's one thing that has to be done to weed out the crap. With many items you cannot judge the book by the cover. And with the modeling section covered, who will test the Poser stuff and all of the other content that is uploaded to guarantee a certain degree of quality?

Personally, I like the versatility that can be discovered here at ShareCG. I like the fact that it's not just a pro site, and that you can find items of all kinds and tastes. That anyone can offer their stuff that they have worked on hard. Even if not everything is perfect to the last vertex or pixel.

Unlike irshlost boy, I do find ShareCG attractive as a file hoster, and as a database for content. Admittedly, download speeds could be higher, but there are still advantages other sites don't offer. One of them – this has been mentioned by someone else before - is the ability to upload large previews that allow people to get a better idea of the item they are about to download. I find that very useful.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise