ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 188845 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Luchare
(Stranger)
01/09/08 10:41 AM
Mediocre Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi everyone,

I have been following this forum for a while, reading everyone's pov about this subject, and I have to say I am in a bit of dilmena.  Money part doesn't worry me, its that awful word 'mediocre' .  Before I came across sharecg I couldn't model anything, not even anything out of Playdough until I discovered Bryce.  I am now texture and mat-mad, and trying to learn this program.  Sharecg has provided an outlet for that, and now that this announcement went up, I have got some more mats and spaceish sort of models to put up but now I am not sure if I should in case they are crap.  Personally I was happy that anyone actually viewed my stuff at all seeing I am new to this whole thing, but my belief is that there must at least be someone out there as Bryce and mat -mad as me.  I did my research on this before I put up any models, I want everything to be different to anyone else.  I really do want to keep using Sharecg, I love this site - feeds the 'what if' syndrome in my brain.  I just want to know what is considered crap, like some sort of 'you have to be this good to enter' sign with an example of what is elite in the freebie world.  I have spent a lot of money on some sites and I have to say some of the free stuff I have downloaded is a lot of the time better than the models I spent money on.

Luchare
(Stranger)
01/09/08 10:42 AM
Re: Mediocre [re: Luchare]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Bah!!! and this was supposed to go into Open Discussion, these forum things aren't exactly easy to use Frown

TheKeeper
(Stranger)
01/09/08 11:22 AM
Re: Mediocre [re: Luchare]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Yes, that's exactly what's got me so worried, too. Despite what people say, I'm a beginner, and I know I'm a beginner, with not only with making content, but with packaging content. I know I'll make a lot of mistakes until I've learned the tricks of the trade, as it were, but are the mistakes I make going to weigh against me, causing my work to be rated as "crap?"

Every item I posted here was posted because I honestly thought people would be able to make use of them. No, they're not the best content in the world, but as long as people found them useful, I was content. But now, with all this talk of quality control, I'm sitting here wondering, "Is there something wrong with my stuff?"

Another thing that's been bothering me is that some people here seem to look down on Poser. Does that mean that, because my content is Poser-related, it's automatically considered "crap?" I like Poser. It's fun to use, for me. I'm sorry other people don't like it. But why should anything Poser-related be considered crap, especially as a lot of work goes into making certain types of content, such as clothing models?

So, I'm wondering, one-texture uploads aside, exactly what do people consider low-quality content?

Edited by TheKeeper on 01/09/08 11:22 AM.

Panthia
(Member)
01/09/08 12:32 PM
Re: Mediocre [re: TheKeeper]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

ummmmm......hmmmm.....First let me say I went and looked at your mats Luchare....I would of tested them for ya but my pc isn't handling bryce right now....But from just looking at them they look good.

The Keeper....I couldn't find your portfolio by searching, can you post me a link please...

Lord knows I'm still just an ameture and my opinion at this point is just one persons opinion.....but I felt like both were asking for honest opinions.  I can atleast give that....

For me its not that things are mediocre...cause well....I can look as stuff I've done that I know was crap and things I've done that I am darn proud of.   For me the issue is more, the single upload packs that could and should have been packaged up as one thing and posted.  I'll be honest....I don't bother downloading 95% of those, even if I think they're the bomb!

TheKeeper
(Stranger)
01/09/08 01:00 PM
Re: Mediocre [re: Panthia]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Oh, sure! Thank you for taking the time to look!

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/TheKeeper

Just out of curiosity... I don't suppose you put a space in my name while you were searching? That could have been the cause. My name is all one word: TheKeeper

Panthia
(Member)
01/09/08 02:34 PM
Re: Mediocre [re: TheKeeper]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

hahahaha I tried Keeper, TheKeeper, The Keeper......

I've sent people with only A3 LE to get the morph targets....They are a great addition for those who only have the base!  I rarely use Hiro....but I have seen the aiko armor used in an msn group....can't link to it.....i left the group.......

I'd also say by the hits that others don't consider you lacking.....Just keep going and learning!  You're doing good already. 

brainstew
(Stranger)
01/09/08 03:22 PM
Re: Mediocre new [re: Luchare]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

@Luchare

Your stuff isn't that bad, although it appears to be obvious that you're still a beginner.

I'm not an expert at Bryce myself, but having read this thread I tested some of your uploads to see how your items would work. Hope you don't mind my suggestions below...

The space panels are very nice, for the most part. One would usually use symmetrical lattices for stuff like that to have a front and back side, but that's not something that necessarily matters. One thing I would have done differently, though, is the height of the panels. It may be a small thing and can be adjusted by anyone who knows about the Raise/Lower button in the Terrain Editor. If you reduce the height your panels really look much cooler. See the first example below, which is one of the panels I like very much.

This adjustment doesn't work well with all of your panels, however, because of the grayscale values you chose to create some of the patterns. Transitions could be more subtle in some places to allow for better adjustment.

There is one other thing that will present more of a problem. These panels are made for tiling, and the patterns do tile well. However, there are problems when moving the panels along an axis. For example, if you move one of your panels along the Z axis, it does not go where it should. This is due to the rotation values of your panels (I don't quite understand why they have these values). Again, see the examples below. The second image shows how I moved a copy of a panel along the Z axis. The panel should have been placed next to the first one, but hasn't. The third image shows the same movement along the Z axis after I corrected the rotation values the way they should be, and the panel moves correctly. See the rotation settings of your panels and the settings that will allow to move the panels correctly.

brainstew

MatrixWorkz
(Enthusiast)
01/09/08 03:33 PM
Re: Mediocre new [re: Luchare]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Let me put it this way. I think MOST of us who actually create our own freebies are all insecure about the quality of them. That being said, ask yourself, do you really think it would be useful for someone? If you think the answer is yes, then it's certainly good enough to be a freebie. There's a whole slew of other things to consider if you want to become a merchant and I won't go into those. Bryce MAT's are definately always fun to download. I always find uses for MAT's that I've downloaded for free.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

WalkerofShadows
(Stranger)
01/09/08 05:01 PM

@Luchare

I tend to agree with Matrixworkz, if you think it will be useful for someone, post it. If you're really worried, try posting a promo shot for it on a site like Renderosity or Daz in the appropriate areas asking if there's any interest. This method along with the help of my alpha tester is how I gauge things personally.

@TheKeeper

Everyone makes mistakes at first with packaging etc, as you said, it takes time to learn all the tricks. I wouldn't be worried about your content being judged as inferior just for that. Anyone who does, is obviously conveniently forgetting their own beginner mistakes.

My personal opinion on making freebies in general, is make what you want and have fun doing it. If you're not getting a ton of comments saying "This sucks!" then why worry?

TheKeeper
(Stranger)
01/09/08 05:15 PM
Re: Mediocre new [re: Panthia]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Panthia: hahahaha I tried Keeper, TheKeeper, The Keeper

Oh, well! rofl! At least the link worked!

Thank you for your review of my things! Greatly appreciated!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise