>> Rigging
Thread views: 89364 *View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | (show all)
spacenewt
(Newbie)
09/23/07 05:58 PM
Rigging clothes Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

This is to go along with my request in 'Modelling' Wink

I'm trying to learn how to Model and rig clothes for use in poser.

I have Sketchup 6 and 3d studio max 3 (yes I know it's ancient) so any tips or help (basicaly that a dyslexic 2 year old could understand.... not terribly techie me...lol)

Any help, greatly appreciated.

dadchamp
(Journeyman)
09/24/07 03:17 PM
Re: Rigging clothes new [re: spacenewt]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

First off you may want to find a program that plays well with the OBJ format. It will make things a lot easier for you. Max3.0 may or may not, it's pretty old. Sketchup is primarily for architecture design so you may find it difficult to model clothing in it. Not sure, haven't looked at it to closely. You may want to check out programs such as Wings3D, Anim8tor, or MilkShape (run a google on the names and the links will popup) they are all free software and a number of people use them for working with Poser as they save directly to the OBJ format.

I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

spacenewt
(Newbie)
10/06/07 04:33 PM
Re: Rigging clothes new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thanks dadchamp,

I've heard good things about wings3d and anim8to, so I guess I'll have to put my learning cap on and check them out. :)

Axe_Swipe
(Stranger)
10/09/07 07:19 AM
Re: Rigging clothes new [re: spacenewt]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

If you are going to use Wings3D or Anim8or, I personally would recommend you use both.

Wings3D is the better subdivision modeler and will be easier to use for fleshing out your clothing models and getting them shaped, but Anim8or has more powerful vertex editing tools for fine-tuning the shapes of your objects.

Before I started using Hexagon, I used both Wings3D and Anim8or side by side.  They complement each other very well.

As for the rigging itself, that will need to be done within Poser.  I'm sure you can find many tutorials on the subject at Renderosity, DAZ and PoserPros.

Edited by Axe_Swipe on 10/09/07 07:21 AM.

franontheedge
(Newbie)
11/14/07 04:58 AM
Re: Rigging clothes new [re: Axe_Swipe]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Wings3D and Anim8or work well together you say? That's interesting, do you know of any really simple tutorials to show how to get into Anim8or to do that? I have both programs and get along very well with Wings3D but I don't work with anything else much (although I am learning Cinema4D).

I have now and then tried to use other progs but they all defeat me so far, I've not had much luck with Anim8or either, the interface is so different to Wings it's hard to realign your working methods, for me anyway.

Sometimes I go back and try Blender again, it's so very powerful I just cry to think I can't use it because it's so keyboard driven but I'm just a mouser at heart.

Now if only Blender's power could be harnessed to Wing's method of use and interface familiarity – joy would be unconfined, and probably 3DS Max and Maya would be out of business – hooray! – Or at the very least, affordable... Oh well a girl can dream, can't she?

Wings does keep improving, but so slowly, and they still haven't fixed the hiccup you get when first opening the prog that got broken in the last major update – where the program arrives minimised instead of full screen.

Every so often you do get some really neat added ability though, and I can use it, which says an awful lot for it's ease of use.

Anyway, enough waffle – any chance of an Anim8or tut that demonstrates the adjustment and refinement of a model as you hinted at?

If there is one, or... dare I ask? You could make one???

Coo!

Fran

FranOnTheEdge

spacenewt
(Newbie)
11/14/07 11:49 AM
Re: Rigging clothes new [re: franontheedge]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

franontheedge
(Newbie)
11/14/07 03:34 PM

Thanks very much for posting those links, I apreciate the effort.

It was..... interesting.

I think those 2 tuts are the wrong way around for me. The Wings one was rather simplistic and I could have done the same thing a heck of a lot quicker, since I know a few ways to do the selection etc much more quickly than he was doing it and the Anim8or tut was way over my head and the camera too far away right from the very beginning.

Oh well, it was a nice idea.

And I really do apprecitate you going to the trouble to post the links, I had no idea YouTube did Wings3D or Anim8or tuts at all, so that's good to know.

FranOnTheEdge

dadchamp
(Journeyman)
11/14/07 10:45 PM
Re: Rigging clothes new [re: franontheedge]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Fran, check this link out for Anim8or tutes:

http://www.anim8or.com/tutorials/index.html

There are a bunch of links here to other tutes too.

--
I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

Axe_Swipe
(Stranger)
11/15/07 05:03 AM
Re: Rigging clothes new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Unfortunately, many of the off-site tut links there are dead (like Ron Knight's tutes)

The ones that are still there should provide some help.  Once you learn the interface, it is a good little program.

If you've got some money to spend and liked the Wings interface, I can recommend Silo as it's workflow is very similar to Wings3D.

franontheedge
(Newbie)
11/18/07 12:51 PM
Re: Rigging clothes new [re: Axe_Swipe]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Nope, no money. I didn't have any to spare before but now that I'm at University, I have even less. (sigh)

Hey, took a look at that link, and I see there are either some new tuts at the Anim8or site  - or I just missed them last time I was here, thanks for the reminder. 

FranOnTheEdge

adp__
(Journeyman)
11/19/07 03:21 PM

A real professional free modelling system is K-3D, available for Windows, Linux, Apple: http://www.k-3d.org/wiki/Main_Page

From K-3D's Wiki:

K-3D is the free-as-in-freedom 3D modeling, animation, and rendering system for GNU / Linux, Posix, and Win32 operating systems. K-3D features a robust, object-oriented plugin architecture, designed to scale to the needs of professional artists, and is designed from-the-ground-up to generate motion-picture-quality animation using RenderMan-compliant render engines. We strongly recommend the Aqsis (http://www.aqsis.org) render engine for use with K-3D.

K-3D's innovative [censored] tutorial system will introduce you to basic use of the program. New tutorials can easily be recorded and shared with the rest of the community.

K-3D allows you to create and edit documents in multiple realtime OpenGL solid, shaded, texture-mapped views. You can even model, animate, and interact with animations while they play back for maximum productivity!

No support for Poser at the moment, but because K-3D system supports Python...

adp__
(Journeyman)
11/19/07 03:24 PM
Re: Rigging clothes new [re: adp__]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

(Why the hell is  i.n.t.e.r.a.c.t.i.v.e  a censored word?)

Pages in this thread: 1 | (show all)
*View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise