ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 79457 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | >> (show all)
raytracer
(Newbie)
08/11/07 07:28 PM
Top Artists Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Maybe its easy to implement a Top Artists page. This would be great to see what kind of content actually gets more hits. List the Top 20 Artists by views, ratings, etc, in one easy to access page. Similar to the art page sorted out by views, ratings. Then the artist listed of course gets a direct link to their content.

Kimber89
(Stranger)
08/13/07 11:07 AM
Re: Top Artists new [re: raytracer]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I don't like it and I'll tell you why....

Because the "Top" artists right now have more hits because they have more content. A few have really nice items that they have put some real effort into but others...well let's just say they are cranking out crap at top speed just for the views & hits.

If it were Top Artists based on the quality/effort & not quantity/speed, it might be ok.

MatrixWorkz
(Newbie)
08/13/07 01:05 PM
Re: Top Artists new [re: raytracer]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Having watched the abuses to Renderosity's Hot 20 and other rating systems over the past 10 years, quite frankly I'm not in favor of any "Ratings" system! They are too easy to abuse and don't ever represent true quality over all. It's a mix of favoritism, cliques and retribution used to keep "Special" people on top of the pile. That's my opinion in anycase.

Kirwyn
(Stranger)
08/13/07 11:49 PM
Re: Top Artists new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I wholeheartily agree with MatrixWorkz's assessment. I would hope that "ShareCG" would be devoid of as much "politics" as possible. IMO, The best indicator of quality and demand is the number of downloads. Not hits, but actual downloads.

raytracer
(Newbie)
08/14/07 05:00 AM
Re: Top Artists new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I really had no clue what transpired at renderosity. I just posted some works there since 4 years ago but not really very active in the forums, etc. There are good points here being made about abuse and politics.

So far I haven't seen a lot of "crap" in the first 7 pages. There's more good than bad artworks.

If people would point them out it would be interesting to compare it to who ever did the pointing. ^_^ Anyone with the guts to say their work is better than the "crap" they see here?

Crap is often used in this forum in a lot of threads which makes me think how unprofessional and jealouse some people are.

jakehellerModerator
(Newbie)
08/14/07 11:30 AM
Re: Top Artists new [re: Kirwyn]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

This is an interesting topic. If for any reason we don't do a "top artists" section, it is not only because of the concerns (which I would have to give more thought to), but also because we don't have enough time. Right now we're putting together a moderation system, and after that, a jobs section.

Kirwyn--although I would agree with you normally that "downloads" could be a good indication, there are a lot of art/animation items on this site that are never "downloaded" per se, but only viewed. Having a double standard might give people more of an incentive to post artworks than other resources, which we definitely don't want. We may start a counter on who hits the "DOWNLOAD" button, though, just to keep track of things.

-Jake 

Kimber89
(Stranger)
08/14/07 12:24 PM

You've stated you are not all that active in the forums, so you probably wouldn't have seen discussions about certain content here at ShareCG.

So, I'll save what reply I originally typed since it would be considered "unprofessional" and out of "jealousy".

raytracer
(Newbie)
08/15/07 02:54 AM
Re: Top Artists new [re: jakeheller]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Jake- Good to hear from you. Its nice to know that there would be more stuff you guys are planning for sharecg. So we'll just be throwing ideas your way.

Kimber89- I meant that I'm not active in the renderosity forums. I am reading all the posts here at sharecg and I'm just surprised by how many artists call someone elses work as crap. So i check their work and I'm just dumbfounded how they can say that when their work is not at all exceedingly better. ^_^

MatrixWorkz
(Newbie)
08/15/07 06:32 PM
Re: Top Artists [re: raytracer]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have never called anyone's work crap, let alone taken the time to rate it. I'm a hobbiest so my own stuff isn't exactly Professional grade. Foot in mouth

raytracer
(Newbie)
08/15/07 10:30 PM
Re: Top Artists [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

MatrixWorkz - Read other threads. I'm sure you'll see what I mean. Its usually the complainers clamoring for more hits that do it.

Pages in this thread: 1 | >> (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise