ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 127833 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Beatrice
(Stranger)
09/21/07 05:13 PM
tubes Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I just wonder if tubes rendered in Poser should really be in the Poser category :(

Kimber89
(Stranger)
09/21/07 05:45 PM
Re: tubes new [re: Beatrice]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

No, they shouldn't. Tubes should be in plug-ins...and there are some items in plug-ins that should be in poser.

Beatrice
(Stranger)
09/21/07 05:49 PM
Re: tubes new [re: Kimber89]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Would it be plugins or 2D?

Kimber89
(Stranger)
09/21/07 05:58 PM
Re: tubes new [re: Beatrice]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Depending on the format....

.tub, for example, would be plug-ins and .png would be 2D.

MatrixWorkz
(Journeyman)
09/21/07 06:15 PM
Re: tubes new [re: Kimber89]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Actually, Tubes shouldn't be in any section until they add the 2D section they're talking about adding. Tubes are not "Just for Poser" nor are they Plugin's which is a term for Software code that adds functionality to a program.

The closest section they fit in for now would be either Textures or Materials as they're usually used as textures on a square prop inside a 3D program in place of an actual mesh of an item.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

Kimber89
(Stranger)
09/21/07 09:54 PM
Re: tubes new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Actually, I disagree....tubes, as in PSP tubes (.tub, .PSPTube), are used in Paint Shop Pro, they are to be "plugged in" (installed) into the correct folder to be used in that image editing program to function as a PSP tube.

.PNGs can be used/opened by any image editing program (PS, CS, PSP, Gimp, etc.) for 2D purposes such as website designs, signatures, printable cards, and various other decorative ways. 

Most look at these "tubes" for 2D purposes, especially figure "tubes".

MatrixWorkz
(Journeyman)
09/21/07 10:48 PM

It's not a matter of something you can disagree on Kimber. By Definition, a Plugin is a piece of Software code for enhancing a particular program's capabilities. Period. Tubes do NOT fit the definition by any stretch of the imagination. Tubes are content. Not Code.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A plugin (plug-in, addin, add-in, addon or add-on) is a computer program that interacts with a host application (a web browser or an email client, for example) to provide a certain, usually very specific, function "on demand". Applications support plugins for many reasons. Some of the main reasons include: enabling third-party developers to create capabilities to extend an application, reducing the size of an application, and separating source code from the an application because of incompatible software licenses.

For CG related Plugin's, most items are in some form of python script or other scripting language language. As far as PSP goes, Scripts such as the ones found Here could be considered plugins.

Jumpstartme2
(Journeyman)
09/22/07 01:16 AM
Re: tubes new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I agree, tubes shouldn't be in the plugin section at all..they belong in 2D

MatrixWorkz
(Journeyman)
09/22/07 01:22 AM
Re: tubes new [re: Jumpstartme2]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

LOL! Well if we went by Kimber's definition, all Poser content would be in Plugin's because they're "Installed" in the Poser runtime and we all know better. Laughing

Kimber89
(Stranger)
09/22/07 01:46 AM

This little jab at my expense --> "Well if we went by Kimber's definition..." was not called for.

If "we" went by YOUR definition of what a "tube" was...well, I'll leave the rest of my comment to your imagination. 

Could you please put a little more courtesy into your replies &  comments so they don't get perceived as personal slights towards others?

Beatrice
(Stranger)
09/22/07 02:22 AM

but I have a feeling anyway that a lot of the tubes showing in the poser section are probably pngs or PS files anyway so would not be plugins :) But whatever I guess they shouldn't be in the poser section

MatrixWorkz
(Journeyman)
09/22/07 09:17 AM

Kimber, it's not MY definition. "Plugin" is an well known and universally accepted computer term. You seem to be the one pulling definitions out of thin air. I even gave you a link to the definition to educate yourself with. I happen to think educating people who display a lack of knowledge is nothing personal and it's a good thing. If I'd wanted to make a "Jab at you" I wouldn't have been so kind as to point you to the correct definition at Wikipedia.

Here's the definition of Tube if you can't find it:

PSP Tubes ( Paint Shop Pro Tubes )

There are currently thousands of graphic sites on the web containing 'tubes' across the web. The name 'tube' comes from the file extension .tub from the Paint Shop Pro photo/graphic editing program made by Corel. Graphics with transparent backgrounds can be 'stamped' onto layers and other graphics as different sizes in different layers, using tubes. Graphics that have transparent backgrounds such as .png, .pspimage, .gif, .tiff can be exported into the tube function. Jpegs can be 'tubed' to be transparent and exported into tubes. There are now programs available that are free created just for the purpose of making 'tubes' usable in other graphic programs, such as PhotoShop. Tubes are 'mouse drawn', made from other images, made from photographs, created from 3-D program images from programs such as Poser, DazStudio, Bryce and many more. You can find them free all over the internet ( Not always royalty free ). Tubes is one of the #1 growing graphic tool across the internet. From Fantasy art, scrapbooking, candy bar wrappers, banners and web design, sig tags, logos, and many other art and craft type projects, these graphics have endless uses. For larger lists of PSP Tubes, see results on google.

As you can see it's a graphic tool, but there's absolutely no computer code involved in Tubes.

Kimber89
(Stranger)
09/22/07 12:55 PM

Your Wiki plug-in definition wasn't what I was refering to and you know it:

"The closest section they fit in for now would be either Textures or Materials as they're usually used as textures on a square prop inside a 3D program in place of an actual mesh of an item." -quoted from you.

I also posted, in my previous post, your quote of what I feel is a jab at my expense, notice it didn't have anything to do with your plug-in definition.

You seem to go out of your way to make people feel stupid & then make a little fun of them. It's not appreciated.

You implied that I'm the only one whom thinks plug-ins are a broader category and if you have looked in that section, obviously not, so keep the "we all know better" to yourself.

spacenewt
(Stranger)
09/22/07 01:32 PM

*Takes a deep breath and dives in*

This is one of the main problems of forum posting... things that would be said lightly and not meant to bring offence in rl, can very easily be misconstrued or taken the wrong way when written down.

I can see both sides of this debate and I admit to being conflicted (and pretty confused too, if the truth be told.... Undecided)

If I was posting things (which I will be later.... brushes, which I can feel is going to open a whole new can of wormsCry) I would be more likely to post  actual tubes in the plugins section and .png's in textures...... not because I think that they necesseraly belong rightfully there, but because I think that people who use 2d graphic programmes are more likely to look in those places for them.

At the moment we are being flooded out in poser with poser renderd .png's, which desperately need their own subsection in a dedicated 2d resource area.

*wanders off to worry about brushes*

MatrixWorkz
(Journeyman)
09/22/07 10:12 PM

Kimber, as Spacenewt says. Take a deep breath, take a time out or whatever it is you need to calm down. The site admins have already stated that they're seriously looking into adding a 2D section for Tubes and other 2D related items.

All I'm doing is posting the facts as I know them. I'm NOT here to give you or anyone else any grief or to take grief off of you either. The fact is, Plugins is NOT the broad catagory you wish for it to be. It's a very specific catagory for software plugins and scripts. Period.

Hey SpaceNewt, I think brushes will pretty easily fall in the 2D catagory as well. Just make sure to let the admins know you'd like to see subcatagories in the 2D section like they added to the Poser section for the different types of 2D files. Poser has subcatagory checkboxes for each of the separate Poser file types like Cameras, Lights, Faces, Poses, Morphs etcetra. I see no reason why the 2D section can't be subcatagorised in a like fashion with sections for Tubes, Brushes, backgrounds and what have you. Help the admins by telling them what you'd like to see now. Wink

joypauline
(Newbie)
09/23/07 10:48 AM

Hi there again

Just out of interest....are you a part of the ShareCG admin team???? You often speak as though you are?

I think that it is a pity that there seems to be this conflict between 2D and 3D and what should go where. After all, this is ShareComputer Graphics site and, as such, materials come in various forms.

It would be so much pleasanter if there was a dedicated 2D section and if people could respect the different forms of CG. As I have said before, no format is more important than any other and often the twain do meet.  Those who are lucky enough to have expensive registered programmes such as Max, Lightwave and Maya can clearly produce stunning results in animation. They have the tools of the trade that most of us cannot afford. Poser users and animators produce material on a budget and often make a very good job of it!! The 2D work generated by Poser, Bryce, Carrara and Photoshop can also be a joy to behold.

There is no need for any kind of grief.....after all, people are sharing their stuff in good faith. Let's just enjoy the site and let admin get on with sorting out the 2D categories (as they have promised). Hope you are getting somewhere with your texturing!!!Smile Cheers

MatrixWorkz
(Journeyman)
09/23/07 04:05 PM
Re: tubes new [re: joypauline]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

No, I'm not part of the admin. I speak as a contributor who also happens to be a computer programmer.  That means I have a very literal mindset when it comes to language and it's uses and definitions. I'm merely trying to help the site maintain some clarity with my contributions. If I come across as rude and impersonal, I'm sorry but that's just part of my personality and I have yet to figure out how to go about changing it. I just happen to be very matter of fact about all things computer related. Innocent

I have done some behind the scenes collaboration with David, but nothing that would make me believe I was in any way in charge. I don't think I have the personality to be a moderator. I'm too blunt. Moderators need diplomacy and tact, of which I'm often sadly lacking as has already been noticed here in the forums. I never mean it to come across personal it's just the way I word things. If you find yourself annoyed with me, take a breath. I'm probably just being socially inept in my communication skills. Nothing personal. Cool I'm a nerdy Geek programmer. We're not known for our social skills. Tongue out

joypauline
(Newbie)
09/23/07 04:17 PM

LolLaughing.....I am not annoyed....just curious!!!!!! Most importantly, would like to see a properly organised 2D section and then we can all enjoy.....yes???

Perhaps all nerds are blunt! he he. I was just being nosey but thanks for replyingInnocent!

MatrixWorkz
(Journeyman)
09/23/07 04:54 PM
Re: tubes new [re: joypauline]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

That was just for future reference. Wink We've already seen how I tend to get under people's skin without really trying. It's not on purpose and I'm usually kicking myself when I realise I've gotten under yet another person's skin.

Panthia
(Stranger)
09/30/07 02:59 PM

As someone else said....on a pc reading whats said, it could be taken several different ways cause we can't hear your tone of voice Matrix....I do the same thing!  ummm.....done it elsewhere in forums within the last hour.....

TUBES aren't textures or materials (doesn't something have to be in .mtl format to be a material?) or plugins (cause most that are posted here are in png format or psd)....lol.....

If admin is looking into us a formal section for our tubes then I am satisfied! 

Matrix....like hearing from you cause you obviously know what your talking about! 

Axe_Swipe
(Stranger)
10/02/07 06:03 AM
Re: tubes new [re: Panthia]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I personally wouldn't consider tubes to be plug-ins, because as MW has explained in his own way, a plug-in would be something that either

A) adds core functionality to an application that is not already there, or

B) Automates or simplifies an existing process in an application that would normally take more effort than the average user is willing to take to do.

I would be more inclined personally to classify them as PSP content, just as Poser files are Poser content.  I've been thinking that there should be a specific category on ShareCG where tubes and brushes for PSP and PS can go to make them easier to find and make them more distinct from the other 2D stuff.

Another classification might be "Add-on" but that's almost synonymous with plug-in.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise