ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 71332 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | >> (show all)
dadchamp
(Journeyman)
10/30/07 05:12 PM
Content recycling ... Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Here's a though to help keep the site clean and remove stuff that is just clutter. Put a 30 day 'no view it goes' limit on items. If an item has no views in 30 days (viewing your own content to keep it active wouldn't count) the item is automatically deleted from the cue of viewable/downloadable items. If the person wants to resubmit the item that would be up to them.

--
I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

Beatrice
(Stranger)
10/30/07 10:21 PM
Re: Content recycling ... [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I don't think that's a very good idea. It could well be that someone will upload something that after a few downloads may well be ignored until something happens to trigger people interest again or someone is searching for something in particular. For example you may find the PC members at DAZ will start looking for odd things once they download their free items starting tomorrow

I know I often search through rendo or 3DC freebies if I need something that is just a bit out of the ordinary and I would not be very happy to be linked to here and found it did not exist.

thirty days os no time at all in the digital world

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/30/07 10:50 PM
Re: Content recycling ... new [re: Beatrice]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I was just at RDNA redownloading a few of my purchased items from 2005! I'm glad they were still there!!!  Surprised

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

Kimber89
(Newbie)
10/30/07 10:53 PM
Re: Content recycling ... new [re: Beatrice]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I agree with you Beatrice,

Nothing is more frustrating than finding a great item & it's gone or if you have something older & any add-ons for it are gone too.

David, you'd be surprised how many requests are made for older items to be available again.

Part fo the reason I finally decided to upload here was because I didn't have to worry about my offerings being deleted over time, like 4shared where I have to login every 30 days or my things go *POOF*. :(

dadchamp
(Journeyman)
10/31/07 12:24 AM
Re: Content recycling ... new [re: Kimber89]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Fine ... let all the stuff keep piling up and burying the items of interest under a snowball of junk ... everyone complains about it, but no one really wants to do anything about it. If some of my items disappeared after 30, 60, or 90 days, I'd seriously rethink that item before I posted it again. Maybe do some work on it and make it better the next time around ... or not repost it all. Either way it would clear the visability to other, more worthy items that people did want to download/view. jm2c Sealed

--
I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
10/31/07 12:51 AM
Re: Content recycling ... new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You know, I understand a lot of folks are going through seasonal depression right now, myself included, but can we at least try not to get huffy everytime someone disagrees with someone? It's not that nobody wants things to get better but the idea of deleting things that haven't been viewed in 30 days doesn't clear things up at all and it penalises people who did download an item they enjoyed if they've lost it somehow and have to come back only to find it missing. That was my point about the RDNA downloads I just recently had to re-download. Please try not to take disagreement so personally.

Now if you had said delete things that have had under a certain amount of total views, like say 10? I'd say yes. Delete the items that aren't moving at all or are barely moving. But say, for example, someone downloaded the space ship in my freebies gallery and a year from now came back to re-download it because they lost their copy. If it was gone just because it hadn't been viewed in 30 days, that would be pretty pitiful. Considering how many times it HAS been viewed and downloaded that speaks to how many people would be affected by it's removal if they lost their copy.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

Kimber89
(Newbie)
10/31/07 01:41 AM
Re: Content recycling ... new [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

A bit cranky are you David?

Yes, everyone complains about the crap, why? Because everyone has their own sense of what's "worthy" & what's "crap". Everyone thinks their own crap is great, useful, important, etc etc etc, it's human...selfish, narcissitic creatures we are.....

I don't make popular items, I make what I like, what I want to share (it's all about ME!!!!) & I want the security that my crap will be available if it's needed down the road. Also the security that if there is something I may need in the future, it will still be available for me (again it's all about ME!!!!).

What about seasonal, niche, or quirky items? Many times these are only used at specific times of the year or specific uses which would mean they wouldn't generate alot of views/downloads in the first place until the "right" time/use for them. 

What I would like to see here is a more defined Search, I would like to search for "Christmas" but I don't want to see a bunch of Art pictures, which is what happened when I tried "Halloween". The ability to screen out sections I don't want included in the Search would be great!

adp__
(Newbie)
10/31/07 02:09 AM
Re: Content recycling ... new [re: Kimber89]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Yes, a better "Index" or "catalog" to find what one is looking for! Something worth to brainstorm and a challange to program something not seen yet, IMHO :)

Lobsterhead
(Stranger)
10/31/07 04:03 AM
Re: Content recycling ... new [re: adp__]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I don't think images should be deleted as things stand now, but if there were two galleries, one personal and one public then images could be deleted from the public one based on whatever criteria admin decided but kept in the personal one.

classylady
(Stranger)
10/31/07 01:51 PM
Re: Content recycling ... new [re: Lobsterhead]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Regarding the original question

Kind of sounds you may be running out of space on the site, if that is what you want to do is delete anything not viewed within 30 days of whatever. 

Question????

Does this also mean items or products uploaded from your own site.??? Not Share. Only this last time did I uploaded using Share Link within a few hours someone posted 5 pages of clothier stuff  what is fair and what isn't??

By the way your inappropriate tag does no good if an item is uploaded from another site so what good is it??

I still say get rid of the Nudity here or have some type of control and that alone will get rid of a lot of so called questionable crap or junk yet other people want it all,  still goes back to Admin making some guidelines for all area's just not nudity.

Personally, came here to post poses and expressions mainly that is all but I use this site to obtain items from a central location a huge plus for this site.

To See items of any kind taken down after 30 days of no views just tells the people who have items listed close to that cataegory to send friends over to do nothing more then download or rate or comment to keep their items here, seems ashame if you are going to inact this policy when there are many other policies that need to be enacted....this isn't recycling this is more favoritism to those who post a lot here verses some that post maybe once a month. Seems a shame to lose the opportunity to come back get what someone may have lost say in a reformat.

Not in favor of this recycling thing.

You need policies and someone to follow up on them.

Need help ??

classylady

Pages in this thread: 1 | >> (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise