ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Site Recommendations and Suggestions
Thread views: 48998 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

franontheedge
(Newbie)
11/14/07 04:39 AM
Definition of "Limited" Use? new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Please can ShareCG explain what they mean by the term "Limited" Use ?

It's a little vague, as it may be taken to mean the useage is limited in some other way, or simply that the use is limited to use with credits only which I think is probably what is meant by the term.

Come to that, what's "unrestricted use"? does that mean people can alter the image or model? because that's not something I'd like very much, and in fact I believe that altering a model can be taken as infringement of copyright, even if the model is free - it's a sticky area.

Not always easy to understand especially if transfer is across international boundaries, as I believe the USA is a lot free-er with artists' rights than the rest of the world, in fact there was a time only a short while back when a US senator was saying that anything posted on the web could be taken as abandoned by its originator, and thus free for anyone to use or mess about with as they pleased and no artist would have any come back at all... I'm in the UK and just the thought of that is pretty frightening, and I have no idea if that's now law in the US or not, or what.

Help, anyone?

Fran

FranOnTheEdge

Jumpstartme2
(Journeyman)
11/14/07 09:47 AM
Re: Definition of "Limited" Use? [re: franontheedge]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Im not sure what that could be...could be very broad defining.

Im just wondering why we have only the original options suggested by SCG instead of any that we all suggested.

"We will be adding a pull down menu in the uploads section so you can display your usage rights below your work.  We don't want to miss anything and can really use your help defining these.  Here are some examples to get your creative juices flowing:  Non-commericial use only - Unrestricted use - Limited use with credits - etc. "

I can only find one reference to that thread, and not the one where we all gave input as to what we needed. 

In reply to:

when a US senator was saying that anything posted on the web could be taken as abandoned by its originator, and thus free for anyone to use or mess about with as they pleased and no artist would have any come back at all.

Whatever senator said that, is an idiot. It's NOT true.

irishlostboy
(Journeyman)
11/14/07 11:02 AM
Re: Definition of "Limited" Use? new [re: franontheedge]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

the licencing terms as dictated by the new function added by sharecg can be viewed more as guidelines. your best bet is to specify a more tight licence in a read-me packaged with your file. even better, go get a creative commons licence. 

on the practical, real world side of things, your work may or may not be ripped off. secure your licence, so that in the off chance you get ripped off, and somone makes a profit from it, you can be sure to be able to get it all off him.

dont think of it a piracy. think of it as someone else doing the donkey work for you Laughing

http://irishlostboy.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://www.sharecg.com/pf/irishlostboy

DreamWarrior
(Stranger)
11/14/07 11:06 AM
Re: Definition of "Limited" Use? new [re: franontheedge]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I've tried all yesterday to reply to the announcement thread only to enter a neverending loop of "login to reply" (when I was already logged in). I logged in again, it took me to the front page of the forums, had to go to the announcement thread again only to find the "login to reply" again, so I couldn't post. I still can't post there, but in this thread it lets me post. Strange.

Anyway, I was going to ask Jake to please post somewhere (the ideal would be inside each item's page) what each license mean. The titles alone don't tell what they mean and that will lead to confusion, IMHO.

• All rights reserved
    This could go to 2d and 3d art, like in the galleries, right? Like atypical copyright notice.

• Non-commercial use only
    This seems self-explanatory, although if not explained could lead to the potencial redistribution of items for freebie makers, and I'm sure that's not the intention.

• Limited use with credits
    What does "limited use" mean? What are the limits for the use of the items?

• Unrestricted use
    Does this mean the user could redistribute the item in whole or in part?

Just some examples of questions that these titles could lead to. Each license should be clearly stated in each item's page, showing only the one chose by the content provider.

Or at least written somewhere so content providers can make an informed decision about the usage rights they want to give.

Thank you!
Barb

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
11/14/07 11:14 AM
Re: Definition of "Limited" Use? new [re: DreamWarrior]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Don't feel bad Barb. It took me a while to figure out that only the site Admin's can post to the Announcement forum and nobody can reply. As for these new checkboxes. I don't think they really matter one way or another as long as your current readme's spell out the usage right's more clearly.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

DreamWarrior
(Stranger)
11/14/07 12:09 PM
Re: Definition of "Limited" Use? new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Oh. Hmm, I suspected something of the sort. Thank you for the info, Matrix.

It would be great if it was stated somewhere in the Announcement forum that nobody can post to avoid confusion and frustration for members.

About the licenses, I think it does matter because if the "checkboxes" meanings are not clear it might lead to confusion and misunderstandings. I think the purpose of this new addition was to facilitate things for everybody. 

Barb 

irishlostboy
(Journeyman)
11/14/07 02:11 PM
Re: Definition of "Limited" Use? new [re: DreamWarrior]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

i dont think they were meant to be befinitive licence statements. merely guidelines to inform the potential downloader as to what it is.

if sharecg were to make it any more precise it would be a hinderance.

just make sure you always specify your own licence.  

MatrixWorkz
(Member)
11/14/07 03:10 PM

As Irishboy points out, they're merely guides to help the downloader choose whether or not they are useful enough to download. It's the uploader's responsability to have their detailed licensing agreements in the readme or some other included text file for the downloads.

The only items you should really be concerned about are your Art files which are just images with no download button or zip file to include readme files with. In those cases, I'd suggest putting more detailed licensing information in the "Details" area that shows up under your images.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

DreamWarrior
(Stranger)
11/14/07 08:44 PM
Re: Definition of "Limited" Use? new [re: MatrixWorkz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I understand they might be merely guidelines. But do you see that they won't help, even as mere guidelines, if the downloader (or even the content creator) doesn't have an idea of what they mean?

You know what? Forget it. You're right.

I didn't come here to complain. I'm just trying to help avoid what I think could be a confusing situation. I'm not trying to avoid my responsability as an uploader, and I'm not here because I am concerned about something mine and mine alone.

I came here because I thought I'd say something that *might* help everyone around here, not particularly myself.

But since it seems you speak for SCG and you know exactly what they think and want, I'll just shut up.

irishlostboy
(Journeyman)
11/15/07 03:02 AM

dreamwarrior, no one here speaks for sharecg but the staff. its good that this topic has been raised, and discussed. i think it has been cleared up now. i think we all agree on the most important aspects of this. and hopefully the discussion will be useful to others too.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise