Hardware
   >> Video Cards
Thread views: 33217 *View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

ecir101
(Stranger)
12/02/07 01:15 PM
Max run slow with Quadro Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi I just bought a Dell precision M90 notebook. When running max 8 it felt a bit slower than I expected. So I compared it with one of my friend's desktops. Even though my notebook has a better graphics card, my max starts lagging at 1 mill poly, when my friend's desktop doesn't. Both are on OpenGL, and i even changed the settings on my Quadro to fit 3ds max's. But it still doesnt work. Anyone know what's going on, and how to fix it?

M90
Windows XP
Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz
2 gigs of Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX 3500m

Friends Desktop
Windows XP
Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz ( or something like that)
2 gigs of ram
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS

Thx for your time

jakehellerModerator
(Member)
12/06/07 07:07 AM
Re: Max run slow with Quadro new [re: ecir101]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Couldn't say that I know too much about video cards, but I do know that some of them are made more for gaming, others for things like 3d modeling. Make sure to read the packaging and do your homework online and see what quadro was meant to do!

It also could be another (faulty?) component in your system.

-Jake 

MatrixWorkz
(Enthusiast)
12/07/07 08:27 AM
Re: Max run slow with Quadro new [re: ecir101]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You don't mention how much memory your video card has compared to how much memory is on your friend's NVidia card. Lag, most times, is due to memory differences. You listed your system memory for both machines at 2 gigs but the video card ememory is also a contributing factor and video cards come with varying amounts of ram onboard as well. There's also the speed factor of the ram to consider. Different memory sticks are rated at different speeds.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein

irishlostboy
(Journeyman)
12/09/07 03:55 AM

like i think i mentioned before elsewhere, a quatro is not going to out-muscle a high end fx card. its designed to be more stable, and have better drivers for 3d apps. that is all.

also, your machine is a laptop. your friends is a desktop. meg for meg, a desktop will out-perform a similarly spec'ed laptop any day of the week. laptops have to be stepped down a bit, so they dont just fry.

also, your ram. not all ram is equel. your 2 gigs ram may be a much slower speed ram than your friends. in fact, considering its a dell, that is very likely.

other things to consider are, the spin rate and quality of your hard drives. and of course how well optimised your operating system is.

as you can see, there is a lot more to bare in mind than "this piece of hardware cost more, thus it must be faster".

http://irishlostboy.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://www.sharecg.com/pf/irishlostboy

washcoollady9090
(Stranger)
05/15/20 08:45 AM
Re: Max run slow with Quadro new [re: irishlostboy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You PC is good enough to study but not gaming. So take your chance and try to make good grades, make your parents happy and let them buy really gaming PC for you. One of the options is to make really good research about interesting history research paper topics

*View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise