ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Wanted
Thread views: 25059 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Theod
(Stranger)
09/08/11 01:38 PM
.mtl to .jpg Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Newbe here. Wondering if .mtl can be converted at the creator level to some kind of map in .jpg, .bmp, .tiff, etc. format. I've reasearced the net and this forum, lots of questions as to how, so far no answers. 

You are a wonderful group of artists who create so many usful objects.  For me they need to be 2 megs. or smaller. I am currently using mostly free software but have found some very good ones for converting .3ds and .obj to triangulated .obj's whitch is what I use. Any comments or answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

mcdlabs
(Stranger)
09/08/11 01:49 PM
Re: .mtl to .jpg new [re: Theod]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

A .mtl is a material settings file used by 3D object editing applications; stored with an .OBJ files and describes how textures are applied to the object; includes the name of texture bitmap files as well as the 3D positioning of the textures.

Basically the mtl file tells the application how to apply the textures to the object it coresponds to. You still need the textures. IF you have the obj you can use a app called UV mapper to create a base texture file and then create your own textures from there.

Theod
(Stranger)
09/08/11 03:55 PM
Re: .mtl to .jpg new [re: mcdlabs]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thank you for your reply. I have downloaded a uv mapper and am trying to learn to use it. Before posting my question/request I read much of this forum and others. Kinda thought that may be a solution. I don't know if my request is an option or a lot of work for creators. What I need would be reffered to as a "skin" or "flat file" that wraps around the object as is in the case of recent large rectangular buildings being posted in the 3d section here. Another example would be some of the animals posted at The New Free 3D Models, latest 3D Models web site that include a .tiff or other photo format file. If I'm not supposed to post links here I apologize and will remove it if asked or moderator doesn't first.

TrevMusic
(Stranger)
03/09/12 01:50 PM
Re: .mtl to .jpg new [re: Theod]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I don't know if its any help or you are still interested but Daz 3d have hexagon 2.5 for free this month and this can import a 3d file and create a uv map from it. Export the map as a texture file and work on it there.

Alternatively, you can paint direct on model and then unwrap the uvmap.

It has pdf tutorials and user manual and i'm sure there are other resources online.

good luck

T

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GENEQ

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise